Confusing Retention w/Growth in Length Progress

SvelteVelvet

Should have titled it "Confusing Retention w/Growth Speed in Length Progress, sorry ladies for not being clearer.

This seems to be a subconscious thing that a lot of us do. Even though I think we all have an understanding that our hair always grows and the culprit of most AA stunted length is due to breakage/lack of retention.

I just want to discuss why that is. Is it a habitual thing? Is it just easier to say 'such and such' made my hair grow rather than 'such and such' helped retain my length?

I think this leads to a lot of misunderstanding with regards to products and different methods/regimen's. Where we can give one thing credit and someone goes out and does it/buy it, but not using it in the same manner as one person or doing it the right way can give that person opposite results or no results. Just an observation. It's a small thing but I think it causes big misconceptions.

Last edited:

glamazon386

I don't get what you're saying. :confused: I mean if we retained all our growth, it still has to grow from the root which would make it look longer right? The ends aren't growing. So to me it would make more sense to consider the growth in the length process over retention. Both are important though.

*Frisky*

SvelteVelvet said:
This seems to be a subconscious thing that a lot of us do. Even though I think we all have an understanding that our hair always grows and the culprit of most AA stunted length is due to breakage/lack of retention.

I just want to discuss why that is. Is it a habitual thing? Is it just easier to say 'such and such' made my hair grow rather than 'such and such' helped retain my length?

I think this leads to a lot of misunderstanding with regards to products and different methods/regimen's. Where we can give one thing credit and someone goes out and does it/buy it, but not using it in the same manner as one person or doing it the right way can give that person opposite results or no results. Just an observation. It's a small thing but I think it causes big misconceptions.

Do you have any examples of this?

SvelteVelvet

bmoreflyygirl said:
I don't get what you're saying. :confused: I mean if we retained all our growth, it still has to grow from the root which would make it look longer right? The ends aren't growing. So to me it would make more sense to consider the growth in the length process over retention. Both are important though.

I'm not saying retention is the only thing that contributes to length progress, of course it has to grow from our scalp and yes both are important, the growth is happening regardless is what I'm saying (unless there is a medical condition). I'm referring to changing or using something in your regimen that helps you retain and see your growth and confusing it with that thing 'making your hair grow faster' or giving that one thing credit for 'making your hair grow' (seeing the length) when it's growing all along and perhaps a combination of things that your doing is retaining your growth better, therefore seeing longer length in your hair.

SvelteVelvet

marie170 said:
Do you have any examples of this?

For example, "Washing my hair 3x a week made my hair grow faster" when it's really "Washing my hair 3x a week kept my hair's moisture balance intact and helped me retain my length"

Or the infamous "My hair only grows in braids" or "My hair grows so much faster in braids" when it's really "Braids helped me retain my length"

Maybe it's a little nit-picky, but I just want to know are the original statements their true understandings, or is the growing faster just used for explaining and we should all just get what they mean by it?

Sorry if this is confusing.

glamazon386

But if someone has more growth than usual in a specific period of time that has nothing to do with retention. Especially if you're relaxed. You know where your new growth is. Or are you not talking about vits and growth aids? I don't really focus on retention. I know that I'm retaining all of my growth by leaving my hair alone. But once I chopped my relaxed hair, my hair did indeed grow quicker. When my hair is braided, I have more new growth in a shorter period of time. For whatever reason, the chemicals were stunting my hair growth. My growth took off like wildfire after chopping.

Last edited:

senimoni

I get what you are saying but I guess I don't understand the question/issue? Some things do in fact make your hair grow faster...at the base we all no that retention is important or you won't see the fruits of your labor. I think for most of us that have been here a while are referring to actual growth when commenting on growth as opposed to retention. So if I said that CW made my hair grow faster..I'm referring to growth not retention. I guess the first thing people should be focused on is "end retention" once you have that , the rest is easy...whether you focus on extra growth or not.

Summer_Rain

SvelteVelvet said:
For example, "Washing my hair 3x a week made my hair grow faster" when it's really "Washing my hair 3x a week kept my hair's moisture balance intact and helped me retain my length"

Or the infamous "My hair only grows in braids" or "My hair grows so much faster in braids" when it's really "Braids helped me retain my length"

Maybe it's a little nit-picky, but I just want to know are the original statements their true understandings, or is the growing faster just used for explaining and we should all just get what they mean by it?

I'm confused Svelte. I understand retention - BUT don't they really go hand in hand? Isn't a noticeable lengthening in hair a combination of growth from the root and retention in length? If a persons hair grows 4 inches over 6 months(for example), isn't that growth AND retention?

SvelteVelvet

bmoreflyygirl said:
But if someone has more growth than usual in a specific period of time that has nothing to do with retention. Especially if you're relaxed. You know where your new growth is. Or are you not talking about vits and growth aids? I don't really focus on retention. I know that I'm retaining all of my growth by leaving my hair alone. But once I chopped my relaxed hair, my hair did indeed grow quicker. When my hair is braided, I have more new growth in a shorter period of time. For whatever reason, the chemicals were stunting my hair growth. My growth took off like wildfire after chopping.

No, not referring to growth aids or vits at all. Yes, relaxed heads can tell the difference when their new growth comes in but when growth and breakage is happening at the same time (which is when people have said "they always get new growth, they always need a touch up, but their hair length stayed at their shoulder) They change something up in their regimen, their length starts to pass their shoulder and the immediate thought is, "My hair is growing faster!"

About your experience, you've answered my question about it being your understanding. Thanks.

glamazon386

SvelteVelvet said:
No, not referring to growth aids or vits at all. Yes, relaxed heads can tell the difference when their new growth comes in but when growth and breakage is happening at the same time (which is when people have said "they always get new growth, they always need a touch up, but their hair length stayed at their shoulder) They change something up in their regimen, their length starts to pass their shoulder and the immediate thought is, "My hair is growing faster!"

About your experience, you've answered my question about it being your understanding. Thanks.

Yeah I was in this boat as a relaxed head for a while. I couldn't figure out what the problem was. Once I started finally seeing visible growth, I decided to chop. Most of it has grown back since then.

SvelteVelvet

SummerRain said:
I'm confused Svelte. I understand retention - BUT don't they really go hand in hand? Isn't a noticeable lengthening in hair a combination of growth from the root and retention in length? If a persons hair grows 4 inches over 6 months(for example), isn't that growth AND retention?

Sorry guys about the confusion. Yes it is growth and retention that contributes to longer length.

I'm referring to the misconception of the SPEED of growth and the ABSENCE of mentioning retention. When you have both you acheive length faster...what I'm trying to say is "One doesn't work without the other in length progress" When you've experienced progress, both are in play, and in most cases the growth isn't the thing that changed it's the retention that has.

*Frisky*

SvelteVelvet said:

I kinda see what you are saying but I still think it can go both ways with your examples. Especially if people are really paying close attention to how much new growth they are getting before and after they are incorporating braids or a new regimen then maybe their "growing faster" theory can be validated.

jengrady

SvelteVelvet said:

I get it. Basically your hair doesn't grow any faster. Whatever you are doing at the moment is helping you retain you strands therefore you confuse it with growth or rather quicker growth.

I've worn braids for long periods of time and it would seem that my hair was growing faster. It was just growing at its normal pace, but I wasn't manipulating it so I was keeping longer strands. I could grow a twa to shoulder length in about 8 months but still have a lot of shed hairs once I took the braids out. It happens.

SvelteVelvet

jengrady said:
I get it. Basically your hair doesn't grow any faster. Whatever you are doing at the moment is helping you retain you strands therefore you confuse it with growth or rather quicker growth.

I've worn braids for long periods of time and it would seem that my hair was growing faster. It was just growing at its normal pace, but I wasn't manipulating it so I was keeping longer strands. I could grow a twa to shoulder length in about 8 months but still have a lot of shed hairs once I took the braids out. It happens.

Yes yes yes *sigh* I was beginning to think maybe I'm buggin, but right, I was referring to speed of growth rather than growth and retention working together.

tkj25

svelte, i did get what you meant. i had to read through it, twice ... slowly, but i did get it:lol: and i agree with you. you're basically talking about semantics ... what someone means verses what they actually said.

for example, when someone makes a general statement like "braids made my hair grow". i interpret that as "braids helped my hair retain length" because braids don't make your hair grow. your hair grows regardless. but braids will allow you to see that your hair is growing by protecting your hair from daily styling & shedding, retaining your growth, and its easier to see new growth coming in at the base of the braid ... but i get what the person means even though they didn't state it precisely. also from the context of the post you get their meaning.

but if someone goes on to talk about "biotin made my hair grow" -- which biotin can affect growth rate -- and then they talk about how they saw one inch in a month, for example, this person is specifically talking about the hair thats poppin out of their scalp ... now how they keep that hair growth is a matter of retention.:lol:

you need both growth & retention to get long hair. and it can be confusing when reading what someone else has written, but you either have to ask that person directly or try to get it from the context of their post.

SvelteVelvet

tkj25 said:
svelte, i did get what you meant. i had to read through it, twice ... slowly, but i did get it:lol: and i agree with you. you're basically talking about semantics ... what someone means verses what they actually said.

for example, when someone makes a general statement like "braids made my hair grow". i interpret that as "braids helped my hair retain length" because braids don't make your hair grow. your hair grows regardless. but braids will allow you to see that your hair is growing by protecting your hair from daily styling & shedding, retaining your growth, and its easier to see new growth coming in at the base of the braid ... but i get what the person means even though they didn't state it precisely. also from the context of the post you get their meaning.

but if someone goes on to talk about "biotin made my hair grow" -- which biotin can affect growth rate -- and then they talk about how they saw one inch in a month, for example, this person is specifically talking about the hair thats poppin out of their scalp ... now how they keep that hair growth is a matter of retention.:lol:

you need both growth & retention to get long hair. and it can be confusing when reading what someone else has written, but you either have to ask that person directly or try to get it from the context of their post.

Thanks and yes your right, I do believe in most cases its a case of semantics but I think some people do actually interpret what they've done whether it's washing often/washing less, braiding/pro styling, trimming/cutting low heat/no heat (biotin, vits, and other growth aides aside) equating to hair sprouting out of their head faster from those things instead of attributing it to the balance of growth and retention working together acheiving the longer length.

Semantics is one thing but I started to see it so much that it's hard to tell who is just using the phrase "my hair grew fast doing this" to mean "I acheived alot of length doing this" or if they are truly convinced in their mind that it's shooting out of their scalp faster simply from doing what they do. And again, not talking about growth aides or vits of any kinds just a change in external regime. I got a little bit, actually alot a bit of my answer from this thread.:D Thanks everyone!

SvelteVelvet said:
Thanks and yes your right, I do believe in most cases its a case of semantics but I think some people do actually interpret what they've done whether it's washing often/washing less, braiding/pro styling, trimming/cutting low heat/no heat (biotin, vits, and other growth aides aside) equating to hair sprouting out of their head faster from those things instead of attributing it to the balance of growth and retention working together acheiving the longer length.

Semantics is one thing but I started to see it so much that it's hard to tell who is just using the phrase "my hair grew fast doing this" to mean "I acheived alot of length doing this" or if they are truly convinced in their mind that it's shooting out of their scalp faster simply from doing what they do. And again, not talking about growth aides or vits of any kinds just a change in external regime. I got a little bit, actually alot a bit of my answer from this thread.:D Thanks everyone!

I think most black women don't realize how much breakage we can suffer when we blow dry, flat iron, etc.; and that if they were able to prevent that breakage their hair would get longer. People will say to me "how did you get your hair to grow so long?" When I tell them about the products I use, they say "that really makes your hair grow?". Then I'll have to explain that no, they don't make my hair grow, they just help me to retain my length as my hair grows.