Can excessive shedding prevent length retention?

sexyeyes3616

My hair has been shedding like a dog. And I think its because I am three months post. The reason why I stretch that long is because I normally don't see enough new growth to relax until about the 3rd month after getting a touch-up. I am getting my hair relaxed on Wednesday. I am just concerned that I might have not retained length due to the shedding? So does excessive shedding effect length retention?

naijamade79

I think shedding is different from breakage, it is a natural process and does not hinder the growth of the strands that stay on your head. Breakage is what prevents length retention.

I'm having some issues with shedding. I think it's because I was texturized and I overprocessed when I applied the relaxer. My hair never shed before, and now it's shedding like crazy. I started using Hairveda two weeks ago, and I did the Aphogee treatment yesterday. It's not shedding as much - only 3-4 stands when I comb it wet vs the 10-12. My question is, what is excessive shedding? How much hair are you loosing? I don't know if my shedding is excessive or not.

sexyeyes3616

I'm having some issues with shedding. I think it's because I was texturized and I overprocessed when I applied the relaxer. My hair never shed before, and now it's shedding like crazy. I started using Hairveda two weeks ago, and I did the Aphogee treatment yesterday. It's not shedding as much - only 3-4 stands when I comb it wet vs the 10-12. My question is, what is excessive shedding? How much hair are you loosing? I don't know if my shedding is excessive or not.

I call it excessive because when I comb my hair there is hair all over my shirt. Hair all in the comb. But I dont know the exact definiton of excessive shedding. And I just wanted to add I check the strands and they have the white bulb on the end so I am sure that its shedding and not breaking.

Yeah, same here. I'm just not sure if at the height of my shedding, the 10-12 strands, is excessive. That might be normal, I don't know. That's one of the reasons I don't stretch. My hair really sheds when I need a relaxer, so I don't see the sense in it shedding more! My hair is still growing though, even with the shedding. It doesn't seem thinner or anything. I dust my ends with each relaxer, and just monitor the shedding. I am, however, obsessed with the hairs. I pretty much look at each one to confirm there is a bulb there, so I know it's not breaking. Not too proud of that.

sexyeyes3616

Yeah, same here. I'm just not sure if at the height of my shedding, the 10-12 strands, is excessive. That might be normal, I don't know. That's one of the reasons I don't stretch. My hair really sheds when I need a relaxer, so I don't see the sense in it shedding more! My hair is still growing though, even with the shedding. It doesn't seem thinner or anything. I dust my ends with each relaxer, and just monitor the shedding. I am, however, obsessed with the hairs. I pretty much look at each one to confirm there is a bulb there, so I know it's not breaking. Not too proud of that.

No yours is not excessive shedding. I don't know if this is true but I have heard for years that hair can shed up to 50-100 strands a day which is supposed to be normal. So dont worry about your shedding.

Last edited:

Mrs.Green

You don't have to worry about length being affected with shedding or should I say EXCESSIVE shedding. Your thickness would be affected moreso than length. If you aren't shedding more than 100 or heck 150 for that matter I wouldn't worry about it. Only you know what your normal shed is. Gage from that and if your hair feels thinner than normal then I would be concerned.

sexyeyes3616

You don't have to worry about length being affected with shedding or should I say EXCESSIVE shedding. Your thickness would be affected moreso than length. If you aren't shedding more than 100 or heck 150 for that matter I wouldn't worry about it. Only you know what your normal shed is. Gage from that.

Thanks for this post. My hair is still thick. So I guess my hair is ok.

sexyeyes3616

Thanks everyone for your responses. I feel better now.

DaDragonPrincess

Sometimes when you have ALOT of hair and its thick it may shed some, little, or alot, it depends. But it's nothing to worry about, you got alot of hair so you good.

bravenewgirl87

Its causes big problems for me. I have anemia so when my blood levels are running low my hair sheds in balls. Large ones. The falling hairs tangles in the relaxed and cause them to break off.

Mrs.Green

Thanks for this post. My hair is still thick. So I guess my hair is ok.

You're welcome. I was overly worried about every little hair that fell from my head in the beginning. I still inspect most strands that fall to check for breakage/shed :look: but once I got used to my hair cycle I realized what was normal and what was cause for concern. Usually excessive shedding can be easily remedied. Could be a new product your hair doesn't like, medication, sickness, stress etc. You're fine.

JustKiya

Shedding will only negatively affect your length if the shed hairs start to get tangled up with the hairs still on your head, and causes them to break off.

You might be going through a seasonal shed, too. I've noticed that my hair sheds a lot more in early fall, then seems to stall through most of the winter.

I can't wait to see what happens with my hair and MT over the winter. :yep:

caribgirl

Its causes big problems for me. I have anemia so when my blood levels are running low my hair sheds in balls. Large ones. The falling hairs tangles in the relaxed and cause them to break off.

Hmmm- very good point and now you have me thinking about my anemia and shedding hair!

ShiShiPooPoo

My hair is shedding a lot now too and that is normal for me during the fall. It is scarier than ever because the hairs are long and they form a ball. I don't fret over it though...shedding is normal it means hair in the follicle is pushing those hairs out.:yep:

nomoweavesfome

Honestly, to answer your question.. I would have to say for ME it does. And here's why- I believe that the longest parts of my hairs that are shedding is causing the shorter parts to take over, so not only does my hair look thinner, but also shorter. Because the ends end up appear to look thin and somewhat uneven it causes you to do a trim or cut depending on how bad it is. I have experienced both some MAJOR shedding for approximately 5 months and on top of that some breakage- my hair looks like one of those little old holloween ladies who went bald and had about 30 real long hairs hanging from their heads. I swear.- excessive shedding is just not good :-(

tsturnbu

Since I rarely comb my hair, when I finally do, globs of hair come out. this is due to shedded hair that has not been combed through mixed with my natural hair. No worries though. I think shedding will only interfere with retention if you are not extremely careful during the comb out process. if shed hair is not carefully combed out, you will surely break your hair...since it will be tangled with your natural hair.

No yours is not excessive shedding. I don't know if this is true but I have heard for years that hair can shed up to 50-100 strands a day which is supposed to be normal. So dont worry about your shedding.

me-T

Since I rarely comb my hair, when I finally do, globs of hair come out. this is due to shedded hair that has not been combed through mixed with my natural hair. No worries though. I think shedding will only interfere with retention if you are not extremely careful during the comb out process. if shed hair is not carefully combed out, you will surely break your hair...since it will be tangled with your natural hair.

this makes me wonder: is it better to comb our hair more often, so you dont have so many shed hairs tangling up when you detangle? or is it better to be really gentle the few times you comb, using a really good product?

JustKiya

this makes me wonder: is it better to comb our hair more often, so you dont have so many shed hairs tangling up when you detangle? or is it better to be really gentle the few times you comb, using a really good product?

For me, it's better to comb thoroughly, less often. For others (Cichelle is one that immediately pops to mind) it's better to comb more frequently.

myronnie

For me:
Excessive shedding=Tangling=Breakage=Less length retention
So, yes, excessive shedding for me prevents length retention.
I haven't had to deal with it anymore though, because i've been taking garlic pills. No more balls of shedding!