Corrective Question......

Jazzy413

So I gave myself a relaxer about 6 weeks ago -- I have been texlaxing the last 2 times I have relaxed. I am really not feeling my hair right now because of the different textures so to even it all out, I relaxed the length of my hair(not the ends) last Wednesday because I was getting mad shrinkage and puffed up hair as soon as I walked out the door, yet my ends and roots were fairly straight. I am giving up self relaxing and am thinking about just going back to a stylist to relax at least. How soon can I make the journey to see a stylist to have them professionally relax my poor hair? I feel like I am doing more damage to my hair than good with all the different textures going on -- my hair has not been easy to deal with since I first tried texlaxing -- I don't think it is for me unfortunately. Some assistance would be great....I feel so defeated right now:wallbash::wallbash:

I understand what you are going through....have been there myself.

I personally waited 8 weeks before I went to see a stylist for my next touchup. In the meantime, DC at least once a week and wear low manipulation styles.

Not everyone can self relax so don't feel bad about that. It's okay to go to a trusted stylist for chemical services and trims:yep:. While you are waiting for your next touch-up start researching some reputable stylist and go in for a consultation before you let anyone touch your hair.

I've had correctives done no sooner than 4 weeks after. If you can go longer I would but be careful b/c more damage could be caused b/c of the different textures. I would however be sure to do a good protein treatment a week prior to the corrective relaxer. HTH

What sucks is nothing I seem to do looks right at this stage -- i end up with straight roots, frizzy looking on the length of my hair and str8 ends. I was so smoothed out and sleek this morning then I dropped my son off and got back in the car and it was a HOT MESS!!!! I just wanted to go back home!! The only thing that saved me thsi morning was having an ouchless hair band with me so I could pull it all back into a ponytail and call it a day. My husband just shakes his head at my hair woes...LOL

I had the exact same problem and I got a corrective last weekend at 8 weeks post and I am upset that I didn't do it earlier. My hair was difficult to deal with because I had 4 textures going on from the root.......NG, straight, crinkly texlaxed, and then straight ends. I tried the self-relaxing thing and it does not work for me. I also realized that texlaxing is not for me and I'm back to straight hair all over. It was a struggle for me and I ended up doing more damage than good. Everything is not for everybody so do what you feel works best for you.

i am definitely seeing it...I mean I loved the thickness and fullness of my hair but I am seeing that texlaxed is not working for me. My husband has been telling me to just go back to my stylist -- she did a great job with my hair, but I dont think I knew how to take care of my hair at that time. Since Ive joined the board tho I think I have some pretty good knowledge on how to care for my hair properly. I feel the same way you do NY....I think I am doing more damage than good right now. I'm glad I posted this out of my frustration today:yep:

If you you have difficulty with your new growth you can try to make cornrows or sew in and then after 8 weeks go to the stylist to make touchup .

You and I both have 3C/4A hair that's underprocessed.

I wore weaves for six months after my last relaxer and the stylist didn't process it properly.

I got my last relaxer 7/15; I'm trying to hold out until 9/15...and the neatest thing about Phytorelaxers is that, along with the moisture you get, you can do longer stretches...but the worst thing is that you have to wait longer to get it corrected if they're not applied thoroughly.

In the meantime, I've stepped my DC game:

1. Dry DC's twice a week, followed by ACV rinses.
2. Daily moisturizing and sealing with NTM Silk Touch and Castor Oil.
3. Light protein--Aveda Dry Remedy Shampoo and Treatment (DC), preceded by Vatika pre-poo.
4. SAA+Leave-in Condish.
5. Wet, wet "flat" wrap sets with Silk Elements Wrap Foam (no alcohol) along with serum, coconut oil and SAA in my water bottle, followed by a heated-then-unplugged flat iron.
6. Protective styles--since I have jaw-length hair, I pin mine up.

My hair doesn't break as much, and it's more supple. I've been doing this for only a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Back