CORRECTIVE WITH LYE OR NO-LYE

tsturnbu

I am seriously considering doing a corrective relaxer. my only question is whether i should use ley or no lye. i have no lye most my life, but my hair has always been very dry. after reading posts, i think it may be due to the no lye relaxer.

so, for those ladies who did a corrective relaxer (or those with knowledge), which type of relaxer did u use, and what were your results?

Thanks in advance

LocksOfLuV

I was always told to do a corrective relaxer with whatever relaxer you used in the first place.

I just don't think mixing a lye relaxer over a no-lye relaxer would end up too hot. Doing a corrective is already risky but then you are adding a totally different type of chemical. Your hair may not react too well with that.

I would only switch up on virgin newgrowth. Not on previously relaxed hair. But that's just me.

Evazhair

My virgin hair was relaxed with Affirm dry hair/Sensitive scalp, and in a few months began drying out. My fired ex-stylist used Affirm lye and tried to pressure me to let her go over the no lye hair with the lye. My mom's stylist and family friend said that using a corrective lye over no lye hair isn't going to do anything, so I refused, because I don't like the idea, because you risk overprocessing. You have no way to quantify the degree of "relaxation" in your previously relaxed hair, if it is basically straight. I say don't do it.

I have just about grown out all of the no lye, or at least enough to where the dryness is manageable. I use a Ion Hardwater chelating shampoo a few times a month, prepoo with oils or conditioner, and use a quality moisturizing deep conditioner for at least 20 min every wash. I moisturize and seal daily or as needed. I have stopped using setting lotion /foam which dried my hair out. I use Elucence MB diluted as a spray on leave in conditioner+ lacio lacio post wash. I am not having a problem with dryness now. I have learned to let my hair tell me what it needs and this is working to keep the dryness away. HTH

dlove

DONT DO IT! There is no such thing as a corrective perm. Trust me, I have 1 inch of hair on my head because of a corrective perm. All it does is overprocess your hair. Over a short period of time your hair will break off. Trust me....

MuslimahTresses

Well, I'm no pro at all but for me the Corrective worked well on my hair. I used ORS no lye over ORS lye and it came beautifully. I do not regret it at all. And I was terribly underprocessed for months before I decided to just take it on through to the underprocessd spots. My hair use to look kinds like this ---~~~----~~~~--- straight, underprocessed, straight , underprocessed, straight. A corrective was just what I needed. I got tired of the breakage from the two different textures and just went on and did the corrective :yep:

gymfreak336

Well, I'm no pro at all but for me the Corrective worked well on my hair. I used ORS no lye over ORS lye and it came beautifully. I do not regret it at all. And I was terribly underprocessed for months before I decided to just take it on through to the underprocessd spots. My hair use to look kinds like this ---~~~----~~~~--- straight, underprocessed, straight , underprocessed, straight. A corrective was just what I needed. I got tired of the breakage from the two different textures and just went on and did the corrective :yep:

You took the words right out of my mouth. You have to remember that with a corrective, you don't process for the regular time. You kinda pick up where you left off. No in terms of lye or no-lye I have always heard that a corrective with lye helps remove the mineral deposits and such that can make no-lye relaxed hair super dry. If you don't get more replies, pm Sistaslick.

tsturnbu

thank u all for the replies. i think i will err on the side of caution, and not do a corrective. i do not want to risk over processing myhair. thank u all for your replies.