stick with Lye or return to no lye?

Ladyhenri

I tried motions oil moisturiser relaxer in MILD for the first time in October and absolutely loved it!
My hair was silky and very straight....

...Untill 2weeks, a couple of protein treatments and four washes later:(
My lye relaxed new growth reverted instantly.
Now i understand why everyone is cussing motions.:mad:

I was too scared to do a corrective so i stretched my new growth plus under processed hair since then, but now, after a few comb replacements...i wanna do that corrective...

Please advise me. before my adventure with Motions, i used to use beautiful beginnings childrens relaxer, and it always got my hair bone straight, but wispy thin. I am worried about doing a no lye corrective over my lye relaxed hair cos i dont wanna loose my hair.
I dont know whether to try Motions in regular or switch back to No Lye??
I noiticed that my hair volume instantly improved with Lye but i'm not sure this is worth the underprocessed hair

shunta

Was that the first time you used lye? If not, had you used lye previously, and if so, how were the results?

Ladyhenri

shunta said:
Was that the first time you used lye? If not, had you used lye previously, and if so, how were the results?

Thanks for your response...
This was the first time i had used lye...I've always used no lye but my hair was very brittle and dry...
When i joined LHCF and learnt of all the benefits of Lye relaxers, i made the switch. There was a noticeable change in my hair after this lye experience cos my hair was (still is) softer and fuller, but the newly relaxed parts fully reverted after two weeks. DOnt know what to make of it and i am scared of underprocessing again
Do you use Lye or No Lye?

dannie

From my personal experience...Motions sucks.:mad:

I then switched to Mizani and used that for almost a year until I realized it was EATING AWAY AT MY HAIR. Some areas broke down to about an inch :eek: On top of that I had the nerve to always be underprocessed.

So I switched to Profectiv over the summer, and my front pieces are almost back to chin length :look: and my hair looks SO MUCH THICKER, it comes out processed correctly, and doesn't revert after two days.

However, you noted that no-lye made your hair thin and brittle. No-lye hair is a bit drier, but defiantly thicker for me, so I can't relate to your experience

All I can say, is that my hair always came out underprocessed with lye. If I were you, I would try a different brand before ruling out lye entirely. If you decide to go back to no-lye, your hair wont get damaged, as mine is ok after making the switch.

jasmin

If I switch from lye I'm using Profectiv or ORS no lye. Those seem to be the good no lye relaxers.

navsegda

I love Motions. To me, the Salon Herbals Silkening Hair Relaxer is better than the original version. I use Regular strength.

P.S. Maybe you should get this version of it and leave it in a little longer. Also, the Affirm lye relaxer is good. So is Design Essentials lye.

Last edited:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Motions relaxers suck big time, and I would know because I tried every variety they had and my hair was always dry and underprocessed. Since you say that you like the volume and stuff you got with the lye, why not just switch to another lye relaxer. I'm pretty sure it's the fact that it was the fact that it was Motions and not the lye that made your hair come out underprocessed.

nomoweavesfome

I personally had to switch from lye - to no -lye because this was my very same problem. Silky for a week to 2 weeks, reverting, and underprocessed hair. I now have very hard to manage drying not shiny looking hair because of it. My last relaxer was ORS no- lye and I loved the fact that it straightend without burning and I didn't have any reversion. I will need about 3 more touch-ups before I may really visually see the difference, but I like the ORS no - lye relaxer way better.

I will not ever be going back to lye relaxers again, I will transition before I do that.

Ladyhenri

Thanks for the responses ladies...:)
I'm thinking i may have to switch back to no lye again...i'm thinking of going for a moisturising one...ever heard of elasta Qp conditioning no lye??

Any ways, This is going to mean that i will have to retouch the lye underprocessed bits with no lye...for all you ladies that have been underprocessed has doing this damaged your hair?

...And MERRY XMAS.xxxxx

prettywhitty

Henrietta said:
Thanks for the responses ladies...:)
I'm thinking i may have to switch back to no lye again...i'm thinking of going for a moisturising one...ever heard of elasta Qp conditioning no lye??

Any ways, This is going to mean that i will have to retouch the lye underprocessed bits with no lye...for all you ladies that have been underprocessed has doing this damaged your hair?

...And MERRY XMAS.xxxxx

I was underprocessed with Silk Elements and I did a corrective with ORS no-lye and I did not have any damage.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I noticed you used MTG. MTG makes my texturizers very temporary and I used S curl lye texturizer. Then I used Revlon Realistic, a lye relaxer. It just didn't do anything to my hair which turned relaxer resistant since using MTG. I don't know if this is true in your case, but I hope you will find the answers you seek.:)

Dia

The very first time I used a lye perm on virgin hair (4 years natural), I came out underprocessed and my hair looked like someone split the strands in half. I was always a no-lye girl in middle school days, so I had to go dig up some photos. Long story short...I hate lye. It hates me. I should have looked at those photos before processing my hair. I want to switch from ORS lye to the no-lye. I dunno. Need help.

yuriko

I used no-lye for many years, and it always left my hair dry and brittle. I switched to lye and love it now, but Motions is a no-no. My hair always reverted after a few weeks. If you do plan to use lye, you can use Mizani, Affirm, ORS. I also noticed that you used mild strength, you really should try regular first, that is probably why your hair was underprocessed