COULD AIRDRYING HARM THE HAIR?

Nanyanika

Blkbeautyhair said:
I am so glad that I found this thread. This may have answered some questions for me. I airdryed the entire summer and my hair did really well. I got a touch up in September, did 2 or 3 roller sets and went back to airdrying my hair again and bunning. Except I added wrapping at night for some insane reason and the back of my hair has broken off pretty bad. I'm pretty sure the wrapping contributed because for me wrapping=horrible results and I should have know better. So I stopped and have been DCing and airdrying consistently for the last 2 weeks or so. Well this past weekend I decided to roller-set my hair and my hair looks and feels amazing and guess what. . . hardly any breakage. I'm like why did I ever stop roller-setting?

I still think less heat is better on an ongoing basis and because I saw positive results with air-drying I'm not going to abandon it completely but I am going to switch it up a bit and maybe do a couple of weeks of air-drying and then roller-set for a couple of weeks. Perhaps my hair just needed a break from the airdrying because I do have to manipulate it more and use a bit more product to get it the way i want. Could be the same for you being that airdrying once worked.
Airdrying never really worked for me i always had terrible shedding and breakage i did it because people said it was healthier for my hair. I'm going to experiemnt first and hopefully i will find a resolution. btw congrats on your airdrying experience

envybeauty

I used to hate airdying but now I like it. What worked for me was adding EXTRA oil to my hair. I wash, add leave-ins, and then add oil to seal. The difference is that I learned to add EXTRA oil to my wet hair. By extra, I mean more than if I was going to blow dry or roller set my hair. The extra oil would leave my hair softer than the regular amount I would have used. I don't know why!

I don't think it matters what type of oil as I tried this method with Hot Six Oil (or something) and coconut oil. In both instances, I added extra oil and it worked.

I airdried with my hair in a ponytail and once dry, it did not feel greasy at all.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
den1 said:
To the Ladies who air dry!!!! is setting hair under a dryer a couple of times a months really that harmful, i mean your using indirect heat and product which protect from heat damage?
I'm doing this now, sitting under soft bonnet twice a month and I'm seeing any ill-effects. My hair is doing very well and has grown a bunch. I'm not seeing much breakage or splits. Like you said, it's not direct heat and I think it's ok as long as you don't over do it.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
prissygirl114 said:
I just had to come back in her to say that "banding" WORKS! Ladies last night I did a CW and tried this method because I am determined to cut down my use of heat. So I put a part in the middle of my head and put a nice amount of coconut oil on my hair and put the pony tails in. This morning my hair is STRAIGHT, SHINY, MOISTURIZED, and most importantly NOT SHEDDING! I wish I had pics but I will definitely put some in my fotki after I get a camera for christmas :D

Try this method ladies!
I'm glad the banding worked for you. I love doing that for a straighter look w/o the heat. It really works.

amwcah

When I bagged my ponytail, I ended up with frizzy ends also. However, I achieved smooth ends with ponytail drying without the bagging technique. Maybe you should try this.;)

LadyJay114

airdrying only works in the summer for me. in the winter, i have to blowdry. i tried airdrying about a month ago but my roots were unmanageable. but i must say, i switched to the Babyliss Pro Ionic Ceramic Blowdryer and its working very well for me (I used to use the Solano Professional blowdryer)

2cute2B4gotten

simplycee said:
Den, I am gonna be honest with you. Airdrying + my hair = massive shedding and breakage. This just started happening to me this summer. I used to be the queen of air drying in a ponytail or a bun and then BAM all of a sudden it stopped working. After a good trim I began rollersetting and my hair is much, much better.

I know it was the airdrying because when I stopped it my hair started doing much, much better. I know it works for many. Heck it even worked for me for a while but now it doesn't work for me. No matter how much moisture I add, even if I don't comb it again until wash day the outcome is the same.

ITA. No more air drying for me. It just does my hair too much damage. I'll stick to rollersets, as they seem to be giving me the best results. :)

Nanyanika

Pokahontas said:
I'm doing this now, sitting under soft bonnet twice a month and I'm seeing any ill-effects. My hair is doing very well and has grown a bunch. I'm not seeing much breakage or splits. Like you said, it's not direct heat and I think it's ok as long as you don't over do it.
Thanks for replying pokahontas, i'm going to try doing this from now on.

chayil0427

I find that when I air dry it dries in too tight of a pattern and I end up ripping my hair out trying to comb it. I don't think it's the process of air drying that's damaging it's just managing the condition of my hair after it's dry. Yet, I know a lot of girls on here like Isis successfully air dry. I should probably try using twists or buns to air dry my hair to get it to dry straighter.

Chayil

chayil0427

I find that when I air dry it dries in too tight of a pattern and I end up ripping my hair out trying to comb it. I don't think it's the process of air drying that's damaging it's just managing the condition of my hair after it's dry. Yet, I know a lot of girls on here like Isis successfully air dry. I should probably try using twists or buns to air dry my hair to get it to dry straighter.

Chayil

CAPlush

I did an airdrying experiment these past few weeks, with bad results:( . I wanted to see if I could airdry my hair in a ponytail. I did it 3 times, and added extra WGO to my wet hair. My hair is still too fragile to put into a ponytail when wet. There is a small patch on the right side of my head that broke down to the new growth, and I am soooo mad at myself for being so neglectful:mad: . I think the hair was washed down the drain, because I can't find it anywhere. I think it is the pulling, combing, and tightness of the ponytail that breaks my hair. With that said, I think that people with truly healthy hair can airdry w/o breakage, and those of us with some degree of damage have a harder time.

Hopefully, in a year or so I will grow out healthier tresses that can withstand this process, but for now I will be flat-ironing or rollersetting.

bauderlady

HoneyDew said:
I do. I got the same feeling last a few weeks ago after using the blowdry for the 1st time in about 6 months. I was like :eek: at how much better my hair felt.

I have used it once since then, as well :naughty:

But, I am going to go back to airdrying because I flatiron afterwards and that is just too much heat.

I think if I did not use my flatiron, I would feel better about my blowdryer use.

The dryer is the devil! It makes me feel like everything is all good for a while and then BAM - breakage!

Hey girl, your hair must be like mines. I can not air dry. I HAVE to blow dry with a hand held dryer so I use a ion hand dryer from sallys on very low heat, and then I HAVE to flat iron. So I use a ION flat iron on the lowest three levels usually 5 or 10. My flat iron goes up to 45-50. My hair is so much healthier doing it this way. I can only do hooded dryer if I am getting my hair set or it will break off. I use a bunch of heat protection and my ends will stay good for about 3-4 months before they need a trim.

Nanyanika

amwcah said:
When I bagged my ponytail, I ended up with frizzy ends also. However, I achieved smooth ends with ponytail drying without the bagging technique. Maybe you should try this.;)

I don't think i could do this ponyatail method, as i noticed breakage in my nape area, due to wearing buns.

Nanyanika

2cute2B4gotten said:
ITA. No more air drying for me. It just does my hair too much damage. I'll stick to rollersets, as they seem to be giving me the best results. :)
OFF THE TOPIC: your hair is awesome, whats your regime? please

Nanyanika

chayil0427 said:

Chayil
I agree the condition of my hair feels terrible after airdrying and i fiond my hair is more thirsty for moisture, If i try combing my hasir breaks out. I think the brasids or twists airdried will yelied better results as your sealing in my moisture.

mytia

SuperWoman!
nvybeauty said:
I used to hate airdying but now I like it. What worked for me was adding EXTRA oil to my hair. I wash, add leave-ins, and then add oil to seal. The difference is that I learned to add EXTRA oil to my wet hair. By extra, I mean more than if I was going to blow dry or roller set my hair. The extra oil would leave my hair softer than the regular amount I would have used. I don't know why!

I don't think it matters what type of oil as I tried this method with Hot Six Oil (or something) and coconut oil. In both instances, I added extra oil and it worked.

I airdried with my hair in a ponytail and once dry, it did not feel greasy at all.

This works for me also I get little to no breakage and I never comb my hair anymore. When I wash my hair I use the flow of the shower to detangle. I air dry in a loose bun and a satin scarf to cover and it comes out moisturized, shiny and smooth if I need to smooth any areas I have a very soft brush that does the trick but I usually don't need it.

TonicaG

TonicaG
Since I'm the president of the Dryer Haters Club of the world, I was absolutely in favor of air drying when it was introduced to the board. While doing this, I was oblivious to the shedding and the breakage that I was getting. I felt like maybe it was my season for shedding but dang (winter, spring, summer and fall?!!). I knew that I was doing all of the right things by my hair but it was still shedding too much. I asked my dermatologist about it and she said no, you're fine. I even asked other relaxed ladies (families/friends) were they experiencing an excessive amount of shedding and they each said no, just the normal amount but nothing to be concerned about.

I saw this thread and my curiosity was aroused. I had to see if there was some truth to this.

Long story short, on yesterday, I washed, deep conditioned and used the little Goody hairballs for a roller set. I sat under the dryer on a medium heat setting for an hour and a half and my hair came out so nice. Full of body and so soft yet strong. No breakage or shedding, I just could not believe it was something so simple. I do wish that I could air dry but for the sake of my hair, I must conform to what IT wants. So, for MY hair, it requires the use of heat. This is so weird...

HTH
TonicaG

tijay

Hi Ladies...I never thought I could air dry my hair, but I airdried for the first time lastnight using the ponytail method and I was really pleased with how soft my hair was and I didn't have any shedding or breakage.

here's what I did:
preconditioned with pantene pro-v deep conditioner
wash with NTM moisturizing shampoo
condition with Nioxxin for chemically treated hair
NTM leave-in (i parted my hair in small sections and applied to the roots)
just for me 2-in-1 detangling conditioner
carefully pulled in a pony tail and baggied...today, I moustiruzed again with KeraKare creme condtioner and I'm so happy at how it turned out.

HTH!