Airdrying

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
I just wanted to share what works for me in regards to airdrying. I have read some post about airdrying not working and after this weekend I realized how to get the best outcome for myself.

I have always airdried with my leave-in's, moisturers and oil, put my hair in a ponytail and put a scarve on. I heard/read somewhere that the scarve keeps the moisture trapped in the hair. It has been working.

Ok this weekend I thought I was grown and that I would try something else. I read here from someone about airdrying with just leave-in and letting the hair hang loose. I tried it and let me tell you my hair was so hard and wasn't moist at all. Even at 80% dry when I put in my moisterer and oil my hair felt dry.

I say all of that to say to anyone who wants to try airdrying or to give airdrying another chance try to airdry with your scarve on and see what happens.

DCBrown

Good post! I will definitely give airdrying another try, using the method you described! Thanks!

HoneyDew

Airdrying loose works great for me. With a scarf takes too long.

I think it is in the products I use those. I have tried it with certain products and it just DOES NOT work. :nono:

I use 1 fermodyl 619 ampoule, followed by Qhemet's Sidr Tree Butter Balm, anf then some Fantasia Straightening serum.

Airydrys soft and every time.

But, when I try to skip the fermodyl or use leave-ins with cones - :nono: i can get away with it when I am freshly relaxed, but after week 3 - not happening. Maybe in that case, the scarf method would work. But, the 3 product stack I am using makes airdry straight really easy for me - for now.

I am sure things will change as time goes on. I cannot see it hanging like that as I get longer and longer.

preciousjewel76

I've never tried airdrying with my hair loose, I've always used a scarf. I'm not even tempted to try it loose, because I'd have to wind up flatironing afterwards, and I only flatiron after a touch up.:perplexed

LocksOfLuV

Like HD says, I NEED the cones to airdry.

Also, I can't seal my leave-ins with oil anymore. Makes my airdry crunchy. I either seal with serum or Eqyss Survivor detangler (which has a really thick serum consistencry).

RubyWoo

I always airdry in 12 braids and apply Infusium 23, Lacio Lacio, a quarter size amount of Salerm 21 and a serum before braiding. My hair always comes out soft and silky this way. I tried using a scarf after my hair was about 40% dry and my hair was still damp (I don't even think it dried). I think the scarf kept too much moisture in my case since my hair hardly dried. I agree with honeydew that it's all in the type of products you use that will dictate the outcome of your hair.

aurora3140

When I airdry loose, my hair looks like I've blowdried it; not fried, but straight and full of body. When I use the ponytail or scarf method, my hair is too flat and it has crimps in it. I use Infusium 23, Motions Oil moisturizer and a bit of Kemi Oyl and wrap in a towel for a minute or two. Then, I unwrap the towel, comb out my (previously detangled) hair and let it hang. It's always dries bouncy, moist, and relatively straight. I guess different things work for different people. My hair is thin and fine, so maybe this won't work for ladies with thicker hair.

HoneyDew

LocksOfLuV said:
Like HD says, I NEED the cones to airdry.

Also, I can't seal my leave-ins with oil anymore. Makes my airdry crunchy. I either seal with serum or Eqyss Survivor detangler (which has a really thick serum consistencry).

Same here. Kemi Oil is about the only one that works, but I even stopped using that for airdrying.

LongLocksBoca

I just had BKT performed ( Brazilian Keratin Treatment ) and my hair dries literally in like 15 minutes, air dry, and it comes out great, no frizz....almost like it was just ironed or blown. This treatment is amazing.

If youre in South Florida, check out Lori @ Mario & Co in Boca. I promised I would come on here and sing her praises if it came out great.

Here I am!!

trulyurangel82

The same thing happens to me. I cant air dry having my hair dangeling. It gets so frizzed up, dry looking and hard to comb out.

But like you I have tried the scarf technique where I would put in my leave in and put the satin scarf on and have the rest of my hair dangeling in rollers. My newgrowth was smooth and my hair felt moisturized.

Ive also air dried with magnetic rollers which was just as good.
So yeah it is possible to air dry

HoneyDew

LongLocksBoca said:
I just had BKT performed ( Brazilian Keratin Treatment ) and my hair dries literally in like 15 minutes, air dry, and it comes out great, no frizz....almost like it was just ironed or blown. This treatment is amazing.

If youre in South Florida, check out Lori @ Mario & Co in Boca. I promised I would come on here and sing her praises if it came out great.

Here I am!!

I want to get this done. I need to find someplace. I am in the VA, DC, MD area and I have yet to find someone.

I am going to be in LA in about a month and I was thinking of trying to see if there is someplace there.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Great thread, helps others know there are other ways to airdry instead of letting the hair hang loose. Airdrying is like a product, you have to try it different ways b4 giving up on it altogether. I can actually airdry with or without a product, hanging loose or tied down, I just do things according to what I'm trying to achieve. I think the healthier my hair gets, the more options I seem to have.

Lately I've been airdrying in 6 big platts, especially when I'm past 3 months post, too lazy to rollerset and too tired to style it any other way, lol, I end up leaving it that way until next poo day, lol.

Last edited:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I airdried this weekend, without a scarf and letting the sun do some of the work. Of course we know that the sun can do damage, so I made sure that my ends were protected.

The key for me was to use a leave-in, then seal the ends with oil. I didn't use a scarf. My hair was still very soft and moisturized. Looked shiny and healthy. The ends are very healthy as well. Once the hair was 80% dry, I used my satin scruni to put my hair in a bun and protect the ends.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I airdry in two pigtails with oils (evoo, castor, coconut) and 10en1 plus rinse. I'm three to four weeks post and it's been working pretty good. :)

Tee

I can't air dry with my hair loose either. I will end up with a big fuzzy frizzy mess. pontail and scarf method works best for me.

hersheyskiss

LongLocksBoca said:

Here I am!!
Thanks for reporting back!
how much did it cost? how long did it take? and what is your hair type? does she have a website? and do you have any pictures?

hersheyskiss

I live in Boca Raton, Fl and I just had the Brazilian Keratin Straightening too! I LOVE IT!!! I went to LORI at Mario & CO. 561- 477- 4801. She's been doing my hair for years (plus all my friends & family) she's the best!!!! I saw someone went to another salon in the area, without naming names, good luck getting an appt. with him and a little too snooty and overpriced. I prefer a hairdresser that is honest about what looks good on me and what will and wont work for me not just interested in the business. Just my opinion, I've been to them all and I just love Lori. Definitely look into this straightening, its worth it!!!

Is this her information Longlocks? You can't just make 4 posts and leave Come back Come back tell us more please!

br0wney3z

I love air drying, b/c my hair isn't that long yet, it actually doesn't take that long to dry. I do it with my hair hanging loose; in the past I noticed that my ends would come out extra crispy when dry, so I decided to change my leave in and use an organic one (Giovanni) with no cones. Woke up this morning to the most WONDERFUL results. My hair was soft, moisturized from root to tip, and shiny. This had never happened before. I now realize that my hair loves everything natural, so I went out, and bought the whole line of Giovanni products.

I never used to understand when you ladies would say that your hair 'loves a product' now I know :grin:

krissyprissy

I love to air dry!!! I air dry my hair in a low pony tail with leave-in and a little bit of Pantene Extra Liso Combing Creme. I seal the ends with oil and either let the hair hang out till 90% dry or put in a bun if I'm going to bed. My hair always come out smooth at the roots when I do it in a pony tail vs letting it hang dry.

LovelyLionessa

I love airdrying too, it's like my hair absorbs all the moisture. I actually let my hair hang down while airdrying. I think the longer hair gets the weight of it help it dry straighter perhaps. If I were to use a scarf it would take way to long to dry. After washing, I wrap an Aquis microfiber around hair to blot dry. Then I apply Rusk Smoother and BB Oil Moisturizer, my essential airdrying leave-ins.

ChocalateDiva

Everytime that I airdry with my hair hanging loose,my hair gets so dry, and tangled!! Not for me... I need da heat...