Covering permanent hair color?

Back in April 2002, i got my hair highlighted with soem permanent color(sun rise) and although it has grew out some, i have a lot left to go and I absolutely refuse to cut it off. Would it be possible for me to put a black permanent color or rinse to cover it up without any harm?

BlkMane

What ever you do DON'T PUT ANOTHER PERMANENT COLOR
in your hair!!!!! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Several years ago I had colored my hair auburn (while it was
natural). When it grew to below shoulder length I got the
urge to relax again. That is a relaxer over a color. My hair was
able to take that double process with no problem. Then months later
like you as the auburn grew out I didn't feel like keeping it up anymore
so I decided to "cover it" with a black permanent color.

No one had instructed me about double (or triple /images/graemlins/blush.gif) processing hair.
I put that black PERMANENT color in my hair. (Which now meant my hair
was TRIPLE processed...BIG MISTAKE.)

Well, my hair was okay for a little while, then it started shedding like
crazy. I don't remember if it was breaking as well, but my beautiful hair
slowly started looking bad and worst! It looked a mess after a few months.
I eventually had to cut it off into a short style.

Just thinking about this now give me chills. I'm sure I could have lost all of my hair.
I was lucky it didn't fall out when I put the black dye in.

And all that to say...DON'T put more PERMANENT color in your hair.
Do what I've learned to do and just even out your hair using semi-permanent color or
rinses.

I've used Natural Instincts several times with good results. You can also try Sebastian
Colorshines (Cellophanes) or Adore or Clairol Beautiful Collection rinses. But I
find that the semi-permanent color (Level 2) that come in boxes seem to last longer than
the liquid kind.

Please let me know what you decide to do. I hope I caught you in time. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lol thank you for rescuing me. I was kind of hoping you said its ok though but I'll only do whats best for my hair. Even if it means havinga head of half black and half sunrise colored hair. It doesnt look that bad. So I can use a black semi-permanent or rinse with no problems?Maybe Jazzing's Jet Black rinse will do the trick,maybe I'll use it as A semi-permanent.Does Sebastians Colourshines come in black or anything near black. Thanks again for saving me with your quite unfortunate experience.

NAY007

yes imo you can do it but only with bigen hair powder. that is the only one i can recommend cause i had my hair highlighted too and then got tired of it, so i asked my stylist and she said that she has this asian hairpowder which is natural and it won't damage my hair. and it didn't!!! it made my hair look great. since my hair was a lighter brown/golden brown she put some red in my length before applying the color, because i wanted oriental black, and she said if she just put the color on my hair after a couple of washes it would turn green so she had to "fill in" or whatever she called it.
i can only recommend it, it really didn't damage my hair and believe me : i know how you feel cause i've been there and not just once, and bigen really amazed me (not advertising here, just my honest opinion)
good luck /images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

BlkMane

Meinzzfuture,

Have you ever colored your hair black before?
Because a lot of times black hair color can look
too dark. Even on people with naturally black hair, because
the color of your natural hair is usually somewhat
lighter than the black in a dye.

When I colored my hair black (experience I posted about in post above) my hair
was so black that everyone used to ask me, "you colored your hair BLACK?"
And I have black natural hair. But, then again, this was a permanent color. Maybe the semi-perms come out a little lighter. Ask LondonDiva; she colors her hair black with Adore in Jet Black.

Yes, in answer to your question, Sebastian makes a black color. But, I think you should try
a dark brown first (Sebastian Cocoa Brown). Depending on your hair's porosity, even the
Cocoa Brown might come out very dark. So, if I were you, I'd go dark brown first, then if that was
too light, only then would I put in a black color.

MSCHICHI

I totally agree with Blkmane.

Even my natural hair sustained quite a bit of damage with several color processes.

You can still greatly damage your hair with a dark dye, especially over another color. It will probably fade out anyway. Let me explain:

When I tried to put a dark brown permanent color over the blonde/brown, first it looked black (my hair became extremely porous). Then no matter how much I permanently dyed over it, it would always fade to this funky reddish color. I was advised just to cut it out over time, which I am now doing.

Even some semi-perm colors can damage your hair, so be VERY careful. I am going to try a medium dark brown in Sebastians Colorshines soon, and that will probably work well.