Curve Salon "Kinks to Curls" Technique

stryed

They have posted the technique (apart from the relaxer/texturizer/"silkener") they use for styling hair. You must start with natural/kinky/curly hair. I don't think it works on relaxed hair.

ETA: I think any old moisturizing gel would work.

http://www.curve-salon.com/kinkstocurls101.htm

CRITICAL TOOLS TO HAVE:
PORTABLE TABLE TOP DRYER+1800 WATT BLOWDRYER+NOZZLE
ATTACHMENT+WIDE-TOOTH COMB+MEDIUM TOOTH RAT TAIL
COMB+NECK TOWEL+SPRAY-BOTTLE+DETANGLING SHAMPOO+
MISS JESSIES CURLY PUDDING OR CURLY MERINGUE™+DEEP
TREATMENT+ MISS JESSIE’S CURLY BUTTERCREME™+ GLOSSER.

STYLING YOUR CURLS ON WASH DAY
1. Wash your curls w/a detangling shampoo 1-2x per week.

2. Condition your curls with a DEEP TREATMENT. Comb
DEEP TREATMENT thru to detangle hair.

3. Rinse out the DEEP TREATMENT.

4. Place a TOWEL around your neck to keep wet curls off your
bare skin.

5. Apply MISS JESSIE’S CURLY PUDDING™ all over while
hair is soaking wet. (DO NOT RINSE OUT). The amount should
be at least a lidful of the CURLY PUDDING Jar so that hair
is completely saturated. Add more if extremely thick, long or kinky.

6. Start at the nape of your neck and use a WIDE TOOTH or
MED-SIZE RAT TAIL COMB to create ear to ear parts/sections
about 1/2”-1” tall.

7. KEEP HAIR WET VIA SPRAY WATER BOTTLE OR SHOWER HEAD

8. Add more MISS JESSIE’S CURLY PUDDING™
to the section you are working on and comb MISS JESSIE’S CURLY
PUDDING™ thru from root to end. Smooth in a downward motion.
Once you have completed this area go on to your next section.
Continue this until you get to the front. Everything should look
smooth and elongated.

TO TURN KINKS TO CURLS
BY ADDING MORE PRODUCT YOU ARE WEIGHING DOWN YOUR KINK. WHEN YOU COMB AND SMOOTH A SECTION OF HAIR IN A DOWNWARD MOTION YOU ARE MANUALLY STRETCHING KINKS TO CURLS.
WHAT YOUR HAIR LOOKS LIKE WET IS WHAT IT’ll LOOK LIKE DRY:

SHRUNK UP WET HAIR = SHRUNK UP DRY HAIR
ELONGATED WET HAIR = ELONGATED DRY HAIR

***INSIDER TIP. IF YOUR KINKY/NATURAL HAIR LOOKS SMOOTHER, LOOSER AND STRETCHED OUT WHEN WET THEN YOU’LL HAVE AN EXCELLENT CHANCE OF TURNING YOUR KINKS TO CURLS WHEN FULLY DRIED.

9. To dry your curls sit under a PORTABLE TABLE TOP DRYER
for about 1 hour til hair is fully dried. EXTRA LONG AND THICK HAIR
REQUIRES MORE TIME.

10. FOR MAXIMUM CURL LENGTH: After your hair is completely
dry grab a section of hair stretching in a south bound
direction and use the NOZZLE attachment on your blow-dryer
to blast hot air from the root to mid-shaft in a downward motion.
The heat will stretch out the curl.
HEAT + PULL = MAXIMUM CURL LENGTH
PLEASE DO NOT USE THE COMB ATTACHMENT!

11. YOU’RE FINISHED AND READY TO GO!
MAINTENANCE:
TO PREVENT NITE-TIME SHRINKAGE FOR EXTREMELY
KINKY HAIR WEAR A SATIN SCARF TIED WITH A MEDIUM HOLD TO
KEEP CURLS IN A DOWNWARD FLATTENED POSITION. YOU WILL
NEED TO FLUFF WITH FINGER IN MORNING. IF YOUR HAIR DID SOME
SHRINKING, USE A NOZZLED BLOW-DRYER AND GRAB A SECTION OF
HAIR. STRETCH OUT IN A DOWNWARD DIRECTION AND BLAST
HEAT AT ROOT TO MID SHAFT.ADD A DOLLOP OF MISS
JESSIES’S CURLY BUTTERCREME BEFORE OR AFTER BLOW/BLAST
IF HAIR FEELS DRY.

FOR MEDIUM TO MINIMAL SHRINKAGE WEAR A SATIN CAP
AT NIGHT. IN MORNING FLUFF WITH FINGERS AND ADD MISS
JESSIES’S CURLY BUTTERCREME TO HYDRATE HAIR.
IF EXTRA ELONGATION IS DESIRED, BLAST WITH HEAT FROM ROOT TO
MID SHAFT WITH A BLOW DRYER AND NOZZLED ATTACHMENT.
download a printable version (pdf) here

Last edited:

bklyncurly

Wow, thanks for the info. That seems like an awful lot of heat, but I'm willing to try it with some of the cheapo products that I have in the house. I wonder if this would work by airdrying then blasting curls with a shot of low heat from the blow dryer?

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
The amount should be at least a lidful of the CURLY PUDDING Jar

Whoa. That's a lot of product! All this time I thought I was using too much and I wasn't using enough! I probably used 3-4 TBS worth of CP.

Chinagem

That's a lot of stuff to have to do to "turn kinks into curls". I wouldn't be able to do this in the morning before work unless I woke up at like 4 o'clock. This would definitely be something I'd have to do on the weekend or at night.

model_chick717

I saw this the other day on the site--it's just wayyyy too much. I'd go back to being relaxed, if I had to go through all of that on a daily basis to maintain a curly look. Most natural/texturized ladies who wear their hair curly tend to wet their hair daily--so that's a lot to do every day....

jetcitygirl

Smeller of roses
A lidful of product? I've only used a couple tbsps of CP at a time and my hair took like 48hrs to get dry. I can't imagine putting that much of that stuff on my hair! I'd rather just stick to my method of setting cream. CurlKeeper, and a couple braids to stretch my curl out. As a matter of fact, I really think CP is a big waste of money.

DelightfulFlame

model_chick717 said:
I saw this the other day on the site--it's just wayyyy too much. I'd go back to being relaxed, if I had to go through all of that on a daily basis to maintain a curly look. Most natural/texturized ladies who wear their hair curly tend to wet their hair daily--so that's a lot to do every day....

I think you only do it after you shampoo, and the rest of the week you just refresh it with water.

When I used it...it took FOREVER to airdry and I ain't even got much hair. Don't know what the deal with that was. Plus it was very drying and had me itching like I had the measles!

Chinagem

kitty18 said:
Does this technique work on natural/texturized hair only or can it be done on relaxed hair?

Doesn't sound like it'll work on bone straight hair because this method is meant to stretch the kink or curl of hair.

PhonyBaloney500

DelightfulFlame said:
I think you only do it after you shampoo, and the rest of the week you just refresh it with water.

When I used it...it took FOREVER to airdry and I ain't even got much hair. Don't know what the deal with that was. Plus it was very drying and had me itching like I had the measles!

How were the results though?

The only aspect of this technique I would try (with OTHER products--I don't have the C.P.) is COMBING the product through but I think that might make my hair frizzy...hmm....

jainygirl

Ummm... that list is really long :dizzy:. I agree with whoever said that's a 4am routine :look:. That's 4am if you have to be to work by 8am. If you have to be to work by 7 that alarm would have to go off no later than 3am :lachen:. -- jainygirl

Last edited:

Tai

Thank you for sharing the tips. I always wondered what they did to get the dramatic before and after pics. :)

But this is WAY too much work. I know folks want to avoid massive shrinkage (I'm one of them) but you do not have to go through all that. It's also entirely too much product. A lidful each time you do it?!? Please. That's just so you'll have to reorder their Curly Pudding and Curly Meringue every month.

kandyland

Sounds simple enough for the weekend......during the week...hecks no...I may try this with "my Curly Pudding".

Legend:
"my Curly Pudding" = Proclaim activator gel = 2.99 at Sally's..

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I think saturating each and every strand with hair product is key if you want your coils or curls to be weighed/stretched down. I don't believe in combing my hair after washing like they say. I just smooth my hair with my hands if I want to do something similar to this. :)
Just part your hair in 4-8 sections and saturate with product while smoothing downwards. Let your hair airdry. Voilá! The same result. There's no need for heat.
The downside is that it will take the whole day for your hair to dry LOL

Nenah

I've tried this but my own way in the warmer months. But I would never use that much product it takes so long to dry.

deedabug

other products and techniques dont work for me to eliminate frizz and show length at the same time...(my hair doesnt have to look texturized at all times to please me but i do want certain styles at least some times)

i've been looking for a pudding...its either this brand or the BBD...whichever spot i click at first...from reading the techniques compared to the labels of the curve products and before and after shots recommendations....the curly pudding is used on wash day...and the buttercreme is for daily moisturization...so it shouldnt take a dryer daily to get the effects u want unless u juss have to wash daily still using these products...

maybe this stuff is juss what i need

sengschick

The Bun Master
FlowerHair said:
I think saturating each and every strand with hair product is key if you want your coils or curls to be weighed/stretched down. I don't believe in combing my hair after washing like they say. I just smooth my hair with my hands if I want to do something similar to this. :)
Just part your hair in 4-8 sections and saturate with product while smoothing downwards. Let your hair airdry. Voilá! The same result. There's no need for heat.
The downside is that it will take the whole day for your hair to dry LOL
What product do you use?

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
sengschick said:
What product do you use?

I use any gel that I have, maybe in combination with a leave in. The products don't really matter, it's all in the technique I think. I don't think the gel I use exists in the USA... but it's without alcohol so it's not drying. I rarely do my hair like this though. If I want to wear it out/down I don't really care if it's big & wild. :D