Curve salon's "angle balance cut"...how much for a comparable cut?

zzirvingj

Anybody had a cut done @ the curve salon before? (Or a salon that did a similar cut to natural hair)??

Did they cut your hair wet or dry?

How much should I expect to pay for a similar cut you think? My hair has no "shape" to it! I like the shape this "angle balance cut" that Curve salon offers gives to natural hair.

ETA:
I like the shape of the 4th girl down:
http://www.curve-salon.com/03_pictures/banda5.htm

But ur hair is much longer, will you even be able to notice the angled cut? Looks like its more suited for short hair..

bump...

You could try sending a pm to so1913 - I almost positive that she's gotten the angle banlance cut at Miss Jessie's.

HTH

:bump: can anyone elaborate on what the cut actually is? :bump:

Looks sorta of like this
13b.jpg

If you can't see the pic go to http://www.missjessies.com/ they tons of pics of this technique and abbreviated versions

It's basically a layered cut that is balanced out to best fit your hair texture so that it naturally falls nicely and frames your face. My album is closed, so I can't really show you a pic of my cut from back in 2005-2007 ish time frame when I was going to the salon, but the pics on the website pretty much show the end result of a cut from them.

My manager who still goes to the salon says they bumped the prices up to $325 for a cut.

It's basically a layered cut that is balanced out to best fit your hair texture so that it naturally falls nicely and frames your face. My album is closed, so I can't really show you a pic of my cut from back in 2005-2007 ish time frame when I was going to the salon, but the pics on the website pretty much show the end result of a cut from them.

My manager who still goes to the salon says they bumped the prices up to $325 for a cut.

Hey so1913!!! :grin::drunk:

I remember your cut and it frames your face VERY nicely. $325 is pretty steep, tho....wow :blush:

Hey so1913!!! :grin::drunk:

I remember your cut and it frames your face VERY nicely. $325 is pretty steep, tho....wow :blush:

Hey lady :)

Yes...I haven't been back there since the re-opened the shop...I'm pretty content with A. Dickey at Hair Rules Salon in NYC who is still up there in price, but I'll swing with the $187 vs $325.

Hey zz. I've heard that Kristen James of Kristen James Curltopia in Smyrna is good with the cut but no good with styling. This is coming from a natural with a C cut as she calls it & she's also a former employee of Urbanbella.

Question for so1913: someone on this thread mentioned that it doesn't really work for longer hair. What's your take on that? Just curious. TIA..

Hey zz. I've heard that Kristen James of Kristen James Curltopia in Smyrna is good with the cut but no good with styling. This is coming from a natural with a C cut as she calls it & she's also a former employee of Urbanbella.

Hey Nakia!!

So you would recommend Kristen if I wanted a cut?

Hey Nakia!!

So you would recommend Kristen if I wanted a cut?

Yes. Before I got my curl, I was planning to go to Taz (formerly of Urbanbella) in the same salon & I was told that Kristen does a better cut, she just can't style. FYI...I may be wrong but I think she's caucasian if it matters.

Question for so1913: someone on this thread mentioned that it doesn't really work for longer hair. What's your take on that? Just curious. TIA..

I think it would...the degree of layering would be customized to hair length and to the final "look" being achieved, but I think all lengths could benefit from a good shaped and balanced hair cut in my opinion.

I've had the cut at Miss Jessie's but I think I paid $200, definitely not in the $300 range. That said, I didn't get it cut there again. I wasn't wowed with it. But I like the method: The hair is blown dry and then cut with clippers primarily, a little bit with scissors to refine it. When I'm ready for another cut, I'll probably just go to a barber to do something similar.

please Miko cuts your hair dry!!!! with clippers for $250.00 trim and $500.00 for a cut!!!...Not worth it!!!....I went to them for three years a waste of money!!!....Don't do it!!!!

yikes yall are dropping some cash! There have got to be some other hair artists out there wanting to steal from the competition and willing to lower their prices to do so.

I hope this inspires more people to become natural hair artists so that the prices can be fair.

I've had the cut at Miss Jessie's but I think I paid $200, definitely not in the $300 range. That said, I didn't get it cut there again. I wasn't wowed with it. But I like the method: The hair is blown dry and then cut with clippers primarily, a little bit with scissors to refine it. When I'm ready for another cut, I'll probably just go to a barber to do something similar.

please Miko cuts your hair dry!!!! with clippers for $250.00 trim and $500.00 for a cut!!!...Not worth it!!!....I went to them for three years a waste of money!!!....Don't do it!!!!

can ya'll please go into detail how they cut with clippers? I would think clippers would tear up the ends of your hair and make it raggedy? :perplexed Did they cut layers with clippers? Maybe I am thinking of something else, but I don't know how you can get a haircut on hair with some length with clippers... Did they pull it taught and then run the clippers over the ends to make the shape? I have never heard of this....I'm sorry I'm so confused ya'll.

Did you have split ends after the cut?

Geeeeez! I get my hair cut flat ironed and it's in a V, has been for years and my stylist keeps it that way. When it's curly, it dries in a V. My trims only cost $20.

Not only did I not have split ends, but my ends were in excellent condition for a long time. I can't explain to you why it works. I don't know anything about haircutting. I just know that it worked well and my ends stayed neater than with regular cuts.

peony,... the last year and a half ago when I was there a trim was $250.00she might have went down in price because they lost a ton of cutermers after Miko and Titi had their falling out!,....what the price is it is not worth it!!!! ...you can do it on your own with a pair of $40.00....clippers a barber taught me how.Miss Jessie's is over priced!!!!...and I was a dedicated customer!!!....and was mistreated and lied to by Titi and I helped Miko when she was trying to sue her sister!!!
That is crazy situation!!!!

Can someone please explain how hair w/length is cut with clippers?

A comb is pulled through the length of the hair at various angles toward the ends until reached the desired point of cutting and clippers are used to trim the ends off straight across using the base of the comb as the guide. Then she goes through the hair with scissors for precision cutting.

Last edited:
A comb is pulled through the length of the hair at various angles toward the ends until reached the desired point of cutting and clippers are used to trim the ends off straight across using the base of the comb as the guide. Then she goes through the hair with scissors for precision cutting.

Thanks for explaining this.

Interesting.....I read about the clippers part but it just registered because for some strange reason I always think of shears/scissors when people say clippers.

I wonder if I could get the same cut by simply blowing out my hair and going to a barber with pics of how I want it and instructions? I don't think I have the guts for that tho...

Back