Cut my own hair into layers? And lay down edges?

GeorginaSparks

Ok, im one month post and my hair is unmanageable. I can handle it but...the edges will NOT lay down. What do you guys use to lay your edges? Also i want to cut my hair into layers...does anyone have a text or video tutorial?

Solitude

My edges lay down just from tying them down with a scarf. "The Scarf Method" tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj73YI8vBUA

This might be a little "extra" but you can try it.

I wouldn't advise cutting your own hair into layers...how can you see the back? Layers are kind of complex. I used to get my layered cut done by a stylist & maintain my it on my own, though, by just following the pattern of the cut when I dusted my hair. Maybe someone else who does self-hair-cutting can chime in.

likewtr4chklit

HONEY AND WATER, accompanied by a nice snug head tie will make them edges behave. Trust me, I'm currently 16 wks post today and I have NO issues with putting this forest into a neat bun.

ETA: the trick is the wet your edges, pull your hair into a pony tail, or pin it back snuggly if you don't plan to wear a pony. Then slick the edges down and tie the scarf over it and let it dry.

Last edited:

GeorginaSparks

well i went ahead and used this youtube tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62RuCJBbjd8
and lauren450's fotki instructions. i dont know what the result is but this is what i cut off. i didnt wash or flat iron before cutting. ill do that later tonight. i probably messed it up but i needed a trim anyway :ohwell:

I dont think i wet the edges before applying product. ill try that.

Soliel185

I tried gel for my edges, but it seemed to make them curl up more. The best thing I've found is castor oil and a soft brush/tooth brush and then a scarf or headband for a few minutes.

Soliel185

I might give it a quick spritz or wet my fingers and use them to pat my hairline. I want it to just be alittle damp as opposed to wet. Then it doesn't take so long to dry/set and I feel like castor oil slides off wet hair..? Hard to explain. It's like the water repels that castor oil.

GeorginaSparks

I might give it a quick spritz or wet my fingers and use them to pat my hairline. I want it to just be alittle damp as opposed to wet. Then it doesn't take so long to dry/set and I feel like castor oil slides off wet hair..? Hard to explain. It's like the water repels that castor oil.
yeah i noticed that too. well i tried it before going to class and it worked. thanks