Daughter's Dry Hair and Advice from Beautican

JerseyGirl

Daughter\'s Dry Hair and Advice from Beautican

My seven year old daughters’ hair has been breaking a lot especially in the back. Her hair type is 3B. So I called my beautician. She told me the following:

There are only three products lines that she trust and believes in very strongly: MIZANI, NEXXUS and DUDLEY’S. She felt that Nexxus was too strong on my daughter’s hair (because of her texture). Mizani is excellent but geared more for relaxed hair. She said that Dudley’s would be the best because it is a black owned company and there products are great. She said that some natural products could more drying than Dudley’s. She told me to buy and do the following:

Deluxe Shampoo
Hair Rebuilder

Wash her hair with one capful of shampoo mixed with 8 to 12 oz of distilled water. Use this for week 1. NO BLOW DRYER. The other week. Use

Moisturizing Shampoo
Moisturizing Conditioner

Do the same method as week one.

Use PCA Moisturizer (daily) and Vitamin AD&E products every other day to grease her scalp.

ALL PRODUCTS ARE FROM DUDLEY’S HAIR LINE.

Buy a humidifier and put in her room. She also suggested braiding her hair and leaving them in for 4 weeks and rebraid two weeks later. When her hair is in braids use a braid spray and spray down the length of the braids every day. This will ensure moisture. Give her (2) multivitamins a day along with a Cod Liver Oil pill. Make her drink more water. Buy a water filter (because Jersey has the hardest water). Put a silk lining in her hat.

After I spoke with her, I realized that all the advice she gave me was an echo from this BOARD. I realized that we may not all have cosmetology licenses but we know just as much about hair care than the professionals. Just wanted to share.

daviine

Re: Daughter\'s Dry Hair and Advice from Beautican

Thanks so much for sharing!!!!

Even though we know just as much or more than they do, do you find however that "regular" folks think that the things we do are weird?

For example --the humidifier tip.....

Dandy112

Hey JerseyGirl,

Thank you for the advice, there were some very good points made /images/graemlins/grin.gif

daviine

Did she tell you to cover her hair? I was wondering if she was getting more breakage in the back from sleeping on it?

I guess that doesn't matter now......cuz Mommy's gonna hook her girl's up.

BTW, let us know how the humidifier thing works out....I always wanted to try that.

JerseyGirl

Why 2 Multivitamins - because my daughter does not eat. She only eats oatmeal for breakfast and a glass of orange juice. I have to make her lunch because she hates the school lunch (peanut butter and jelly - every single day). She will come home at night and request a salad or a yogurt. I have to beg her to eat. She hates McDonald's and Burger King - nothing fast food for her. The nutrients that she would get from eating like a normal child in addition to a vitamin would be enough. But because she is very picky - by the way, her doctors have told me to give her two vitamins because is below average weight for a child her age.

Davinne -- Yes, I forget my beautican did mention to tie her hair up with a silk headtie. I do this every night to find out in the morning that the headtie is around her neck. She is a wild, wild, wild sleeper.

daviine

Oh my goodness---JerseyGirl--my son is an extremely picker eater. I am so glad that I have finally "met" someone who knows what I go through. What vitamins does your son take?

Sometimes I give my son two vitamins as well but I'm not really consistent with that. Your post has made me realize that I really need to get on top of that.

My son doesn't eat school lunch either..so.....by the time I see him he is STARVED but still picky. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I've really been considering taking my son to a nutritionist but if he's picky, what good will that do I'm thinking. It's like he's gonna eat what they suggest anyway.

Kimmil129

Thanks for that information my daughter has the same problem lately I've just been conditioning her hair well because she is due for another relaxer soon..Your information sheds new light on what I could use for her hair in addition to tail n mane products/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JerseyGirl

My daughter is following the footsteps of her older brother. He is 16 and just as picky. But because puberty has hit him, he is eating more and more. Man size portions of everything but you still have to cook him what he wants to eat. He refuses to eat out of a restaurant (we have walked out of many places because of him). He looks at the facility and the waiter or waiteress, if they have a spot on their uniform or dirty fingernails he is ready to go. He gives my mother-in-law a hard time if she does not clean up her kitchen properly before she cooks, he will not eat. I do this out of habit.

His doctors told me to give him what he wants to eat. If he wants breakfast for dinner - give it to him. If he wants dinner for breakfast - give it to him. Also, when he became a teenager his doctor told me to give him GNC Mega Teen vitamins. You have to take 3 vitamins a day. Thats what it says on the label. Not only did he grew but so did his eating habits. He grew 5 inches within 8 months. He was always on the short side.

I know what its like to have picky eating kids. It is not fun - it is hard work because they have to eat. Most nights, I cook 3 different meals, one for my son, one for my daughter and one for my husband (he worst than the kids).

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
... For example --the humidifier tip.....

[/ QUOTE ]

My family thinks I have completely lost my mind. Their advice for me in growing out my hair is to get a trim every 6 weeks and grease my scalp every night... /images/graemlins/ooo.gif
When I go to Kmart today to get my Christmas cards and wrapping paper for next year I will also be purchasing... a humidifier! When I wake up in the morning, my eyes and throat are all dry and scratchy--it never occured to me that my hair was parched, too.

Thanks JerseyGirl!

jamaka

Thank you for the response. My daughter hair is dry as well but it is getting better since I started washing her hair every week..she is 4...I use nexxus shampoo and conditioner but I also use the Dudley PCA and the Dudley hair grease (vit A, D etc) I love those products...maybe I will give the Dudley shampoo and conditioner a try.

My daughter is about a 3c/4a/4b. I swear she has three types of hair on her head. I do give her a vitamin and flax seed oil. She is also a picky eater but I refuse to cook two different meals all the time....I will cook two meals if I know a certain meal is going to cause us to fight. I know how it is...my daughter donot eat peanut butter and jelly sandwich but she will eat bolony sandwich everyday for lunch...I am so tired of fixing bolony sandwiches. HELP.

Dionne

Your hair dresser is the only one I have ever known to mention vitamins. She seems to understand that healthy hair comes from within. I wish I lived up north so I could go to her. Good luck with your daughters hair. Let us know how the humidifier works.

BlkMane

JerseyGirl,

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
He looks at the facility and the waiter or waiteress, if they have a spot on their uniform or dirty fingernails he is ready to go. He gives my mother-in-law a hard time if she does not clean up her kitchen properly before she cooks, he will not eat.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your son were older I would MARRY HIM! I'm the same way about places where I eat. He's the perfect man for me! If only my boyfriend were more like that...he'll eat anywhere and anything! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tips for moms:

Regarding the silk scarf coming off the child's head at night. Tie on the silk scarf first, THEN tie a triangular hair net OVER the silk scarf. That should secure the slippery scarf and keep it on all night.

Regarding children not eating: I was a picky eater too when I was around 7-9 years old. My mom got a prescription from the doctor for some type of appetite enhancer liquid. I remember it was a thick, syrupy (looked like corn syrup) and very sweet. I had to take a spoonful a day. That stuff really increased my appetite, I even got chubby cheeks after a while. /images/graemlins/smile.gif It never made me fat, it just gave me enough of an appetite so that I was a "normal, not too thin" weight.

soontobenatural

Jerseygirl,

Are you still using this routine on your daughter's hair? I am thinking about trying the Dudley shampoo/conditioners on my daughter's hair (6-years old 4a hair type). I currently use the Vitamins A, D and E and the PCA on her, but not the shampoo/conditioners.

How long are you letting the conditioners stay on her hair? Also, do you following the Rebuilder with a moisturizing conditioner, or is that not needed?

Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

canuck

my sister was also a picky eater, and then my dad gave her sulphur bitters. It tastes 'orrible, it does, but it sharpened her appetite.