Daughter's Hair???

Do you use the same products on your daughter's hair?

• Yes, I feel totally comfortable using the same products.

Votes: 37 80.4%
  • No, I'd never do it. They're way too strong.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Maybe, in an emergency. I'm hesitant, but I'd do it in a pinch.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Maybe, hadn't thought about it before. But I'll give it a try.

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

live2bgr8

This board has been a wealth of information. :) :) :) Thanks!!!

I want to get my daughter's hair off to a good start. She's 4yo and natural... So far it's growing well, but I just wanted to know how many people use the exact same or similar regimens on their child(ren)'s hair.

If not what products, protective styles, etc. do you use on her hair?

Also, please note if you have relaxed hair and your daughter has natural hair... TIA :D

Last edited:

amina kamal

Im 4a relaxed and my daughter is 3c natural. I use mostly natural and organic products on my hair so I use the same on her. Ive never used heat on her hair. I stay away from cones and parabens for her.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
Both of us are naturals....her 3a/3b me 3c/4a I just recently purchased Qhemet's hair products and I use it on both of our heads. My protective style is the bun, the protective style I use on her is plaits/twists. I co-wash daily but I wash and condition her hair weekly. :cool:

Dannygirl

i dont "techanlly" have kids but my sisters are my kids (also my bros) lol
i use braids with their hair my mom pretty much leave the hair thing up to me :D .. I keep them in braids make 'em wear scarfs and they are now natrual we pretty much arent going to perm their hair until middle or highschool depending on how much growth they get..

blac_quarian

Been here from long time
My daughter has natural type 4 hair and I use the same poos/cond on her hair as I do. The only real difference is the oil/moisturizing process. For her, I apply a heavier oil (JA black castor) all over to seal the shaft, whereas I use it very sparingly on the my ends to defeat extra dryness when necessary. Her hair drinks moisture and JABCO works well without the greasiness. We also do the heat-free regimen (aside from the DC).

breezy

My daughter is a 4 whateva...nappy just like me, natural as she wanna be! I just wash her hair every 10-14 days w/ diluted CON poo, detangle, and condition a little cheapie Humectant (whatever Suave calls it)

After washing her hair I put it in 8 even sized ponies, two on each side of her head in rows of 3, then I just twist. Oh, I moisturize each section w/ B&B and Castor oil before twisting. By about day 6 or 7, I take the twists dwon, re moisturize, then re twist until wash day.

This seems to work well for her hair , and it's growing pretty well.

Southernbella.

My daughter's a 4a natural, I'm 4b relaxed. I wash her hair once a week (most of the time, but sometimes it's 2 weeks). I use Mane and Tail Super Moisturizing Shampoo and conditioner (the same thing I use for me). I use Mizani Rose H20 to seal the moisture in her hair, then braid or twist some of it, leaving the rest out in puff ponytails. During the week, I use Shea Butter on the puffs to moisturize them.

MzTami

Hellerrrr
My daughter is 4 years old too. She has 4a THICK natural hair. We use Giovanni 50:50: shampoo and conditioner; except I use grease on her hair and I don't use it on mine.

Her hair is a daily struggle because it's thick and she's tender-headed. I wash it about every 2 weeks. I've thought about cutting her hair to a TWA, but her daddy will have a fit. Anyway, I will probably end up cutting it or she will have to get a relaxer. I can't take it no mo! :cry2:

breezy

MzTami said:
My daughter is 4 years old too. She has 4a THICK natural hair. We use Giovanni 50:50: shampoo and conditioner; except I use grease on her hair and I don't use it on mine.

Her hair is a daily struggle because it's thick and she's tender-headed. I wash it about every 2 weeks. I've thought about cutting her hair to a TWA, but her daddy will have a fit. Anyway, I will probably end up cutting it or she will have to get a relaxer. I can't take it no mo! :cry2:

Do you ever get it braided?

MzTami

Hellerrrr
breezy said:
Do you ever get it braided?
I use to braid it when she was 2, but it started getting thicker/longer and when I tried to braid it, she would pitch a fit on the first braid.

My sisters and nieces can do some hair, but they won't touch my daughter's hair, they say it's tooooo thick/she's tender-headed. I know she won't sit down and let a beautician press or braid it. I think I might cut it, and by the time it grows out again, she will be a little older and hopefully not so tender-headed.

mightycute912

I am relaxed and my daughter is natural. I use different products on her hair, because of the processing I do on my hair. I find it easier that way.

SNyeema

MzTami said:
I use to braid it when she was 2, but it started getting thicker/longer and when I tried to braid it, she would pitch a fit on the first braid.

My sisters and nieces can do some hair, but they won't touch my daughter's hair, they say it's tooooo thick/she's tender-headed. I know she won't sit down and let a beautician press or braid it. I think I might cut it, and by the time it grows out again, she will be a little older and hopefully not so tender-headed.

Okay you're scaring me. You're sounding like them SHS out there who want to cut OUR hair because it's easier for THEM to manage. DON'T DO IT!!!

My daughter is 3 and I usually cornrow her hair. The cool thing about kids this age is that as long as their hair is done...in some type of way, they're satisfied. I "learned" how to braid my daughter's hair. It took practice and patience. You have an advantage over my kids' hair because your daughter's hair is long. It sounds like you've been pulling and tugging thus her not wanting her hair done. Cutting her hair in a TWA will be pointless as it's just going to grow right back. It sounds like you just need to use a gentle moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. Get yourself one of those empty spray bottles and add some water, glycerine, and conditioner in there. Shake that bad boy up and braid her hair WHILE IT'S STILL WET only rewetting the strands that have dried out. Use a large tooth comb. Since it's long, all she'll need is about 8 or 12 braids going down and fastened on the ends with a pretty barrette. Oil her scalp and ends with a little hair grease and it'll be done and you won't have to mess in it every day.

The "miracle" product for my daughters hair is Baby Buttercreme. I didn't think my daughter's hair was capable of being elongated and she always wore pony "puffs" instead of pony "tails." Needless to say it would get all dried out and tangled by the end of the day at day care and it was a battle trying to detangle and do it the next day. So I started cornrowing her hair myself. At first, it wasn't as neat and didn't last long. But it kept me out of her hair for at least 3 days. With practice came better results. Now that I've finally bit the financial bullet and purchased the Baby Buttercreme, her hair has done a complete 180. It's softer, more moisturized and I'm actually able to put it in ponytails now, and twist the ends and secure a barrette.

Having a daughter with natural 4 ANYTHING hair takes time and patience. She's only 4. Bear with it. Don't give up. Don't give in to chemicals or just cutting it all off. We are all on here striving to have long and healthy hair. Give your daughter the same opportunity to achieve both through you. I'll be praying for ya. (smile)

Curlee_lurker

LA face/low class booty
MzTami said:
I think I might cut it, and by the time it grows out again, she will be a little older and hopefully not so tender-headed .
I'll preface this with, obviously it's up to you and if it causes you grief no one should judge you at all.

I was extremely tender headed. I remember literally crying on wash days even when I was old enough to know better. Someone suggested putting a relaxer in my hair, which did nothing but cost my mom more money.

I think the problem is not combing her hair often. I think back to my fights with my mom on wash day and to be honest, it got to a point where she'd wash my hair once a month, if that. This is why I was so tender headed (I believe), I wasn't used to getting my hair washed and combed and it was such a huge deal on those days.

I don't know how to help you on a regimen that would get her used to it, but I think that may help her and prevent you from cutting it all off or relaxing it. (if that's something you don't really want to do)

SNyeema

Curlee_lurker said:
I'll preface this with, obviously it's up to you and if it causes you grief no one should judge you at all. QUOTE]

Oh and please note I was not trying to "tell" you what to do or judge you because of it. Just trying to offer a helping hand. We're all on here to help each other out. I am also very tenderheaded and what worked for me when I was a child was braids. I'm a 4B and all that pulling and tugging was not an option for my mother. So she'd wash it, grease it and braid it up while damp. Even back in the 70's that little trick worked. Good luck.

good2uuuu

I use what I use on myself. She's 3 and natural. She's a 4a/4b type though, so I have to do some things differently.

KathyMay

How many people use the exact same or similar regimens on their child(ren)'s hair?

For me (relaxed) and my babygirl (see avatar she's definately natural) we have two different hair types so I have to adjust her hair routine.

For Babygirl- Shampoo, condition and deep condition every two weeks sometimes once a week. Moisturize daily with water, ORS olive oil lotion and seal with CD Hair Elixir. For the halo/edges use Sulfur 8 grease.

pattycake0701

I see quite a few of moms deep condition their children's hair. At what age and for what reasons do you decide that it is necessary to deep condition their hair? I conditioner wash my son's hair now, but I'm getting prepared for my little girl and I want it to be long and lush.

Alliyasmom

SNyeema said:
Okay you're scaring me. You're sounding like them SHS out there who want to cut OUR hair because it's easier for THEM to manage. DON'T DO IT!!!

My daughter is 3 and I usually cornrow her hair. The cool thing about kids this age is that as long as their hair is done...in some type of way, they're satisfied. I "learned" how to braid my daughter's hair. It took practice and patience. You have an advantage over my kids' hair because your daughter's hair is long. It sounds like you've been pulling and tugging thus her not wanting her hair done. Cutting her hair in a TWA will be pointless as it's just going to grow right back. It sounds like you just need to use a gentle moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. Get yourself one of those empty spray bottles and add some water, glycerine, and conditioner in there. Shake that bad boy up and braid her hair WHILE IT'S STILL WET only rewetting the strands that have dried out. Use a large tooth comb. Since it's long, all she'll need is about 8 or 12 braids going down and fastened on the ends with a pretty barrette. Oil her scalp and ends with a little hair grease and it'll be done and you won't have to mess in it every day.

The "miracle" product for my daughters hair is Baby Buttercreme. I didn't think my daughter's hair was capable of being elongated and she always wore pony "puffs" instead of pony "tails." Needless to say it would get all dried out and tangled by the end of the day at day care and it was a battle trying to detangle and do it the next day. So I started cornrowing her hair myself. At first, it wasn't as neat and didn't last long. But it kept me out of her hair for at least 3 days. With practice came better results. Now that I've finally bit the financial bullet and purchased the Baby Buttercreme, her hair has done a complete 180. It's softer, more moisturized and I'm actually able to put it in ponytails now, and twist the ends and secure a barrette.

Having a daughter with natural 4 ANYTHING hair takes time and patience. She's only 4. Bear with it. Don't give up. Don't give in to chemicals or just cutting it all off. We are all on here striving to have long and healthy hair. Give your daughter the same opportunity to achieve both through you. I'll be praying for ya. (smile)

I also have a 3 year old w/ type 3C hair. I can relate to what you said regarding your daughter having "pony puffs and dry hair at the end of the day." I'm at my wits ends every time I do her hair. BTW I have no skills at all when it comes to braiding. Pony puffs are the only things I've been able to do to her hair. Therefore I'm interested in purchasing two of the products that you recommended; glycerine and Baby Buttercreme. Can you share w/ me where you bought these? And also your measurements for the glycerine, conditioner, & water. TIA.

Mars_Reiko

I dont do too much to my daughter's hair. She's 2 and hate for me to even touch it. I wash her hair during baths with Creme of Nature. That detangles it enough for me to handle it without hurting her. Use to cornroll her hair but it got too tangled so now I just do twists with barrettes.

Last edited:

SparklingFlame

My daughter is a 4 year old natural. She wears her hair in braids/cornrows. I tried twists but her hair is too soft and they frizz up so bad after like 1 day. We both use Qhemet Biologics products and it works out well for us. I think shes 3b. I also hennad her hair too. It turned out great!
kelouis75 said:
This board has been a wealth of information. :) :) :) Thanks!!!

I want to get my daughter's hair off to a good start. She's 4yo and natural... So far it's growing well, but I just wanted to know how many people use the exact same or similar regimens on their child(ren)'s hair.

If not what products, protective styles, etc. do you use on her hair?

Also, please note if you have relaxed hair and your daughter has natural hair... TIA :D

The Girl

I use a hmde oil and moisturizer so yes she uses it as well. The only thing we don't share is mommys' texturizer

motherx2esq

My daughter is natural and I use the same products on hair that I use. With the exception of conditioner and relaxers. I love the Hello Hydration line for her. I like the Totally Twisted conditioner for her natural curls. I also use None of Your Frizzness and water as a leave in. I clearify her hair twice a month and a moisture type shampoo the weeks between. Usually the cheapies, VO5 or Suave. I prepoo her hair, that helps SOOOOOO much. I use whatever I have on hand lol. Honey, VO5 conditoner, Shea Butter Cholesterol Creme and anything else I feel like throwing in the mix. I braid, wash/condition and moisturize/leave in, seal then I twist (with tips I learned on here) and she is good for the week.

Last edited: