HELP with Daughter's Hair

A.Marie

My daughter is seventeen months with very coarse and dry hair. She has thin patches in some areas but long hair in the top. Being a first time mom, I am not sure what kind of shampoo, conditioner, and moisturizer to use. Currently, I use Pretty & Silky and the BB Hair Mayonnaise. I love the BB Super Gro and mayonnaise, but I am unsure about the shampoo. Even if I grease her hair, it still looks dry and frizzy. Any advice from those who have had success growing their daughter's hair would be helpful.

California

Andreaetta said:
My daughter is seventeen months with very coarse and dry hair. She has thin patches in some areas but long hair in the top. Being a first time mom, I am not sure what kind of shampoo, conditioner, and moisturizer to use. Currently, I use Pretty & Silky and the BB Hair Mayonnaise. I love the BB Super Gro and mayonnaise, but I am unsure about the shampoo. Even if I grease her hair, it still looks dry and frizzy. Any advice from those who have had success growing their daughter's hair would be helpful.

:lol: Girl, now when I first read this I couldn't help but laugh, but now I feel you on jumping on her head now. That baby shampoo is harsh on the hair. Girl, if I could do it all over again with my daughter, I would've used products that would give her hair wonderful results when she was a baby. I'm with you 100% on doing what you're doing, as far as handling it early.

As far as the thin patches babies do have that, rub some coconut oil or castor oil in those spots. A good shampoo would be Creme of Nature Conditioning Shampoo with the red label, but if you like the one you got thats cool too. Wash her hair with Conditioner, that probably would be better, use something you like or try Soft n Beautiful Souflee Conditioner, it comes in a moderate sized pink jar, and its affordable. Add in some Jojoba oil after you rinsed her hair while its wet to keep in the moisture, and let it dry and style. HTH Goodluck!!!

MeccaMedinah

Diluting your shampoo may help. Thin spots, I also recommend using oils in those areas. 100% pure shea butter or 100% mango butter (not Elasta QP) may help with the rough spots. HTH

yokourt

You may want to try Aubrey Organics. I love their line.
I don't have young children anymore, but I see on their site that they have a line for babies. My daughter is 10 and we both like their products. LOVE thier conditioners GPB and White Camellia are perfect just by themselves!

Here is some info on the baby line I found. I buy the products from Whole Foods. If you don't like them they can always be returned.

Baby Love Special
Quantity:
Size:
Stock #:
Price:

3 products
101G
$19.95

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Add this product to your wish list

Email a friend about this product

Buy all three, save $5.25

Natural Baby and Kids Shampoo 8 oz.
Natural Baby and Kids Bath Soap 8 oz.
Natural Baby and Kids Body Lotion 8 oz.

Natural Baby and Kids Shampoo
Our natural soap base cleanses gently, while almond oil, camomile and balm-mint soothe and hydrate baby's hair and scalp. (Not a "no tears" formula.)

INGREDIENTS: Deionized Water, Coconut Oil-Corn Oil Soap, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein (made from organic, non-GMO soybeans), Fennel Extract, Hops Extract, Balm Mint Extract, Mistletoe Extract, Camomile Extract, Yarro w Extract, Vanilla Oil, Almond Oil, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E).

Natural Baby and Kids Bath Soap
All-natural soap for babies and children lathers up gently, without stripping the skin's protective oils, and leaves skin delicately scented. Great for adults who are allergic to mass produced soaps.

INGREDIENTS: Hydrolyzed Soy Protein (made from organic, non-GMO soybeans), Organic Aloe Vera, Fennel Extract, Hops Extract, Balm Mint Extract, Mistletoe Extract, Camomile Extract, Yarrow Extract, Linoleic Acid (Vitamin F), Vanilla Oil, Almond Oil, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E).

Natural Baby and Kids Body Lotion
Rich herbal lotion conditions and protects your baby's skin without mineral oil or other synthetics. Restores natural moisture balance and soothes skin with evening primrose and organic aloe.

INGREDIENTS: Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base, Organic Aloe Vera, Wheat Germ Oil, Organic Evening Primrose Oil, Deionized Water, Panthenol (Vitamin B-5), Aminobenzoic Acid (PABA), Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E), Vanilla Oil, Almond Oil.

Customer Reviews about Baby Love Special
Write your comments about Baby Love Special

*If you have questions or would like a response to your comments, please use our Contact Aubrey form.

Bettina Ortiz from Punta Gorda, FL
rating: 5 Stars
comments:
This is the best baby lotion on the market. My baby has very sensitive dry skin and she gets a heat rash once in a while. Since I am using this lotion her skin is much softer and scab free. I love the smell and I massage this lotion after her bath into her skin. My little one loves it and she squeals out in delight. Thank you for making such a great product! Best Regards Bettina

Gina DeLusant from Bridgewater,NJ
comments:
All three of the baby products are wonderful. I have a six year old and a 20 month old. I use the products on both of my boys. Never do my children have dry skin or cradle cap and they smell sweet until the day after they've had their baths. I have only one request, please make the bottles bigger. Thanks.

Linda from Cranford,NJ
comments:
I would just like to say thanks for the excellent products! I'm 23 and I have very sensitive skin, so I decided to try the baby line for my sensitive adult skin. They smell fabulous! I love the almond vanilla fragrance! The products moisturize my skin perfectly! Don't ever change the formulation because these are great products! Thanks Aubrey!!

Karen Rives from Gilford, NH
comments:
I have been using these Aubrey baby/kids products on my two children ages 3 and 1 since they were born. Family and friends would make comments on how good they smelled when they were infants. I love it so much that I give at as gifts to family/friends when they have babies. They love it! Quick tip for lotion: Let the lotion bottle soak in a sink of hot water while bathing baby. When bath is over, you have nice warm lotion for their massage! They love it!

Tori Riggs from Pittsford, VT
comments:
These are the best products on the market. I've tried many and none compare.

Lori from Mountlake Terrace WA
comments:
I just got this in the mail today. My youngest daughter (2yrs) immediately wanted a bath, so after we ate I decided to try it out. I was so pleased and so was she. The shampoo lathers up very well and smells wonderful. Having the liquid soap helps alot and it smells great also. They have a strong enough scent so that after the bath is over and they are dry you can still smell it on them fresh and clean. My favorite was the lotion. I have had problems with baby lotion, it being too oily or irritating to my childs skin, this lotion totally absorbs into the skin leaving it feeling nice and soft. I am very happy with this collection and will be ordering it again. My only suggestion would be, make it in larger containers for those of us with several children. We love it!

aivonfay

I have two young girls myself. They were born with a head full of thick hair. I use a mixture of johnsons baby shampoo and aveeno baby bath/shampoo on my 13 month old and my 2 yr old I use motions for kids. I ssometimed follow their shampoos with a suave conditioner and sometime sI just mix them together to save time.

For a moisturiser I use motions kids moisturiser and just for me lotion it's a little greasy feeling but I like it. I've recently started using vaseline to their hair because my mother used it in my hair when I was young and I had some nice thick long hair. I think the key is to just not put too many harsh products in her hair, it'll catch up. She's still young. I didn't start using kids shampoo on my 2 year olds hair until she turned 2. u can check out mu album, i'll put pics of their hair.

gorgeoushair

Andreaetta said:

I know what your going through and how you feel. I have an 11 month old and his hair is ..... nappy. I use some diluted CON shampoo and sometimes I do con washes with DDTA. I also use a detangler by Soft & Precious. To get it growing I would say to keep it moisturized. I use S-curl or Sta sof fro or my concoction with water, advocada oil, DDTA, and s-curl or sta sof fro. I usually keep it plaited or braided..... can't keep it lose because it'll shrink and look nappy and terrible.

SNyeema

I have a 20 month old daughter and I use shea butter shampoo and the regular VO5 conditioner on her like I use on mine (I'm natural 4A). After conditioning, I comb through Infusium 23 and just towel blot it. I then comb (with a wide tooth comb) and immediately braid (cornrow) it while it's still damp to make combing easy. I grease her scalp with Hollywood's Sulpher grease. It contains petroleum is just 2% sulpher as opposed to 5% so it isn't too harsh on her scalp. I also use this on her hair while I'm cornrowing. It makes for easier braiding w/o tangling up and her hair is so nice and shiny. I also wash my daughter's hair once a week with the products listed above. This has been a proven method as I "think" I was destroying her hair when she was a bit younger. She had a head full of hair at birth, then it started to thin out some spaces. Since I've been using the Hollywood and keeping it cornrowed adorned with beads (as opposed to pony tails all the time), and wasing it every week, her hair has grown in nice and thick. HTH.

leontyneb

I have two daughters ages 5 and 3. With my oldest I only used baby shampoo when she was born until she was 3. She was born with a lot of hair on her head. Her hair grew thick and long. I didn't condition her hair at all. I would put hair grease in her hair and an oil moisturizer like Motions for kids. Now that she is 5, I use Wild Growth on her hair, Organics Detangling Oil Mositurizer (love this product detangles really good and moistens the hair with no build up), and I just bought this hair grease called Indian Hemp from CVS. This grease smells really good and it has different types of herbs in it. It cost only $2.99. So far her hair is fine and smelling real good. Now for the three year old. She wasn't born with a lot of hair, but had enough. It took a while before her hair was really growing. She had slow growth. I use the same products on her as I do with my 5 year old. My mother pressed her hair a little this past Sunday and her hair is past her ears. The biggest thing that I do for my children is I let their hair airdry. So, this is my advice.

Attachments

• Leontyne.jpg
    Leontyne.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 3

Jaelin

I would recommend totally organic or very close to it for children's hair. My cousin's daughter basically just had a patch of hair in the middle of her head (it seems to be a family trait :lol: ) from when she was born until a around two years later. My cousin consistently rubbed vitamin e oil on her head and it eventually grew. She's four now and it's down her back.

ETA: now is also a good time to start with a satin cap etc. to protect hair from rubbing against the pillow while sleeping.

Last edited:

Honi

There is no board.
Most of my daughters hair fell out at about 6 months (along with mine I might add) and I had about 4 good patches to work with at the time. As she got older I noticed that her hair was drier especially in the back.

I wash her hair weekly with diluted baby shampoo and condition it with AO white camellia or AO honeysuckle rose. I also CO wash in the middle of the week with these conditioners as well. These really work in softening and making comb out easy when her hair is loaded with this stuff. I let it sit for about 10 minutes or as long as I can while she runs around the house. Rinse and then apply a small amount of NTM leave in conditioner, add a mixture of oil that I made (olive oil, coconut oil, vegetable oil and cocoa butter) and apply it to each section that I braid up. I also oil her scalp (I tried grease but the next day her hair was dry as a bone).

I also don't put accessories in her hair like little scrunchies or barrettes except when there is a special occasion. I want to minimize any pulling. I just plait it and re-do them when they get fuzzy.

She's two and her hair is now between her shoulder blades.