Dax Pomade Moisturizes?! Since when? (long post)

larry3344

I've already had a thread about my hair issues with my mom although it is not as serious as last time I still need your input. For those that do not know what I am talking about here's a little recap: My Mom is very sensitive to smell something I have always known but now this is affecting my natural hair journey because she hates the smell of all my hair products. She says they stink, let me list some of them; Body Shop Honey Moisturizing conditioner, Curls line, Aussie Moist, Giovanni, etc and many others. According to her All of the lovely diverse ladies here are all mixed or have extensions and are lying about their hair care journeys. She believes that all I need is Shampoo (Pantene or Tresseme), Conditioner (Pantene or Tresseme) and Dax pomade because only pomade can moisturize our type of hair. She says that she has taken care of my hair and she is the reason that it has grown and that was all she used. Of course as a young girl my hair was long and thick. But after my mom used just for me texturizer my hair never became the same it was breaking constantly my roots started to grow out and I had two textures thick new growth and straight ends. My mom did not keep up with the texturizer and refused to cut my hair even though it was clearly unhealthy. At the end of grade 12 I had enough (discovered LHCF) and asked to shave it so I can start over she refused. So I one day when I was supposed to get my hair braided I went upstairs and used scissors and cut pieces of hair. Then she had no choice but to shave it off. After a year even she realized that my hair was healthier when I cut it after my first year she was upset and told me that now my hair is not going to grow long :/ anyway so I was right after all although she still does not want to admit it.

Ladies my hair was horrible it was so unhealthy, not only did I have chemicals in it but I was constantly getting it braided. Now my mom is African and she thinks that the only way my hair can be presentable is by getting it braided/texturized/cornrowed. I can never wear my hair out because according her I’d look a mess. She thinks if black people could grow their hair long then many women would do it. I keep telling that growing is about health and how well hair is maintained and that many black women are ignorant (like you know who) and are not receptive to changing their bad habits. But she does not listen to me!

My mom is a Capricorn she is very set in her ways and very logical about most things. If she’s done it a certain way for years she does not plan to change it. I am an Aries and although we are different we do share many personality traits and one of them is stubbornness. I don’t mind change and gaining knowledge and experimenting but my mom is not that way at all. Now what I ask of you ladies to help me prove my mom wrong about her hangups on hair care. I’d like to have detailed experiences of women with similar situations with your regimens also and before /after pics if possible due to LHCF. Also I’d like inputs from African women on this forum who have gone the same thing or going through the same thing and understand the warped mentality. Finally anyone can contribute but I especially need the participation of my Type 4 ladies also since any higher than type 4 hair my mom considers mixed hair. She even says that Ayurvedic hair products can only be used by indian women but it will break our hair. Trust me ladies I’ve tried and tried to make my mom undertsand how untrue that is. But at this point I want your experiences and pictures to speak for themselves.
P.S: Whenever my mom does my hair she uses 3 medium-toothed to fine toothed comb to go through one section before braiding it. She says the broken hair were supposed to fall anyway and our dead. Due to this technique I have a lot of short strands all over my hair and some parts have not caught up to others. She does on naked hair and thinks I don’t need a cream based moisturizer but can use a pomade. Please I NEED help with this because I plan on making my mom read this thread!!!!
I am really frustrated and a bit depressed because I have learn so much and my hair has improved because and I feel like she is setting me back.
Also can you recommend hair products that are light or unscented, those ladies that are sensitive to smell can you help me out!

Last edited:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Question...how old are you that your mom is still doing your hair? I started doing my own hair when I was 12 years old.

I think you need to take charge of your hair and do it yourself since your mom isn't willing to listen to you. As you stated, your mom is stubborn, so no matter what we tell her or pictures we show, she's not going to believe us. What usually turns people's views on our hair is time and patience. As for moisturizers that smell nice, again it's all about preference. I know that most people love the smell of Cantu Shea Butter (smells like coconuts) and it's seen primarily in the Black Hair care sections so your mom might believe it's good for our hair. It's also inexpensive ($5.99). Hope that helps!

prettybyrd

Based on personal experience (a know it all but loving mom) I'd say that your mom is probably not as sensitive to what you use as she's making you think.

More than anything she probably feels like she's losing her baby, and is fighting your choices because you are growing up and she wants you to still be the little girl who listens to her and does what she says...or she really is sensitive to everything you use on your hair.

But Dax?!?!?! No only is it non-moisturizing, but it smells to high heaven! There's no way she could prefer that to anything you listed! :) I think mom's just having trouble letting go of her baby. :)

Nonie

OP, I' am African but I can't really identify with your experience since my mom didn't really mind my hair as long as it looked neat, and I always wore it neat coz in school, you'd be sent home for having messy anything so you learned from an early age to keep your hair looking nice. We did indeed wear it braided 99% of the time in elementary school, coz it was just easier to deal with it that way. In high school, braiding was not allowed unless you had long hair that could be worn in three plaits.

Now it is true we used grease because it provided the same sort of lube you get when you oil metal parts of machine. It definitely made a difference in the feel of the surface of hair, but it didn't soften hair which is a sign of moisturized hair. But we didn't know any better.

When my mom came to visit me two years ago, she was still of the school that grease is necessary for hair and it was all she used for "moisture". She also combed hair dry and I just about screamed in horror when I saw her do it, coz I could've sworn she'd start a fire. I begged her not to do that and to let me show her a new regimen. So I introduced her to DCing with heat and to S Curl.

Her hair used to have a dry look and rough feel to it:

But she now has the softest, no-longer-dry-looking hair ever:

She also cannot believe how easy it is to wear. In the past she would comb it with bits breaking all over the place and then spend a few more minutes patting it into an afro. Now once she takes off her baggy (Yeah got her on this bandwagon too!) and undoes her plaits, her hair combs with ease w/o breakage and she usually doesn't need to pat it into shape. If just forms a nice dome on its own.

Unfortunately my mom doesn't want long hair so she said she would get it trimmed if it grew longer, but I'm so happy she has such an easy regimen now that is healthy. She used to have to stretch her hair with a hotcomb that was just slightly hot after washing it just to be able to comb it. She cannot get over how easy her regimen is now. And her hair stays moisturized for days until she washes it.

So on the question of what to use, I say S Curl. But if the jheri curl smell isn't your cup of tea, then Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 smells like strawberries and works just like S Curl IMO. I'm amused that your mom is so accustomed to Dax that she doesn't find its smell horrible. :giggle:

Last edited:

libertysince05

OP,
I have a similar experience to Nonie. I'm African but my mum doesnt mind me wearing natural hair out provided its neat, my father will occasionaly comment on my wash and gos, but more in terms of if i'm going to a formal event like a job interview;i went to an interview with a french company and he reminded me to comb my hair since the french are picky, and white people may not get my natural hair, other than that they dont really care.
She also has problems with scents (really bad hay fever) so from an early age i started using low sent or unscented products (which has been a goodsent because i have less outbreaks of dermatitis), also i dont like heavily scented products.
Unlike your mum she is more open minded and constantly asking me whats going on in the hair scene abroad, so i constantly introduce her to products that make her regimen easier (she is currently in love with Shu Uemura and Phytospecific)
I think she is more open minded because of her hayfever and the fact that she has lived abroad before (and also is a chemestry major).
To convince others to use something else takes time, patience, conviction anf you have to 'prove' that your method works best...instead of taking away the dax grease i thing your mum may be comfortable with a moisturising product with a similar consistency.
Someone mentioned your mothers issue being more about feeling that you are growing apart from her than it being about hair, and i have to agree; because from my experience when i bleached and then shaved my hair my parents loved it, and i got the feel that it was more about their appreciating that I made a decision to change something in a way that may not be to everyone's taste and that i was confident enough to pull it off.

As for products: Jason makes unscented shampoo and conditioner, Aubrey Organics HR conditioner is not too strong as is Yes to carrots mud mask, Jane Carter Solution products generally are light citrus scents, Almond and Camelia Kissi oils are very lightly scented, Giovanni 50:50 shampoo is light too.
I also like ojon treatment its are heavily scented however once washed out leave the hair super, and its not something that you need to use on a daily basis.
Avoid Profectiv products, they are very heavily scented...
Also if you pick unscented body products (which are easier to find) you may be able to use hair products with a heavier scent.

Last edited:

ToriLynn

My only imput is about Dax lol.. My mom used that on my hair when I was young..just shampoo.. Conditioner.. And Dax lol... That got me to WL.. As an adult, everytime I grow my hair out.. It NEEDS grease!! I tried to go without and it gist becomes dry and flaky! Idk.. I know grease has been shunned on LHCF but hey, if it ain't broke..

Nonie

In defense of Dax, I do believe it can be good for sealing in moisture. Like if you DC'd well and your hair was soft, Dax could help keep that moisture in your hair. Now being able to tolerate the smell is a-whole-nother ball game. :lol:

When I start sealing, I'll use scent-free Vaseline.