DD#2's 20 month Transition - APL & PICTURES!!!

ChristmasCarol

*Wash n' go pic in later post*

We are both extremely happy that she is natural again! We couldn't have done it without all the support and knowledge I've received from the wonderful ladies of LHCF!

DD#2 HATED having her hair combed and I thought a relaxer would give her some peace. WRONG! Her hair was never so unmanageable :nono: , so we decided to go natural again. Her hair was full BSL the first time it was relaxed, but broke off and had to be cut to barely SL. At that point, it was quite obvious that we needed to go back to natural hair. We now realize that her problems stemmed from my ignorance regarding relaxed hair care, lol. It's just as easy to blowdry or flatiron her natural hair and we don't have issues with dryness or breakage to overcome. Natural hair is definitely the lazy way out, for us.

Her nape is right at APL when stretched. Most of her hair is 10" in length, which was pretty good considering I cut an extra inch or two to make it fairly even (and less mullet-ish). She thinks she'll grow till MBL and maintain, but she may experience hairnorexia and think it's still short. :lol:

This is the result of her 20-month transition - I cut the remaining relaxed ends earlier this week:

All 3 DD#s and I have the following regimen - even though I am still transitioning, and they are all natural:

Co-wash 2X weekly with cone-laden products (who gon' check us, boo?)
DC 1x/month
Clarify with non-sulfate shampoo 1x/month
Oil ends with coconut, walnut or safflower oil every other day when flatironed

That's basically it!

BTW - DD#3 is now at WL and is also suffering from hairnorexia. She won't be satisfied until Classic Length/Mid-Thigh, so she says. I'll give her update in the Children's thread whenever I flatiron her hair. No time soon, though - she works my nerves with the hair-tossing/flipping.

Last edited:

13StepsAhead

WBTW - DD#3 is now at WL and is also suffering from hairnorexia. She won't be satisfied until Classic Length/Mid-Thigh, so she says. I'll give her update in the Children's thread whenever I flatiron her hair. No time soon, though - she works my nerves with the hair-tossing/flipping.

Good Job Mom!!! Her hair looks really healthy.

@ the bolded heck if I was WL I would be flipping and tossing my hair like I was having neck spasms:lachen::lachen:

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Her hair is lovely!!
How do they primarily wear their hair while cowashing twice a week?? Twistouts?

Anew

This is good. I'm currently trying to get my daughter past SL and I'm having the hardest time. I think I'll follow your regimen to see how it works for her

ChristmasCarol

Her hair is lovely!!
How do they primarily wear their hair while cowashing twice a week?? Twistouts?

@Rocky91

Thanks Rocky!

Buns, buns and more buns. She buns for 3 weeks and wears it flatironed for 1 week each month. She doesn't like twist-outs at her hair length, but she def. wants to wear them when her hair gets back to BSL+.

ChristmasCarol

This is good. I'm currently trying to get my daughter past SL and I'm having the hardest time. I think I'll follow your regimen to see how it works for her

Anew

Does your DD have fine hair? If she does, she may need some protein, less manipulation, etc. to see progress. My DD's all have medium/coarse (diameter) hair and other than relaxers, it will withstand anything and still grow long without any real effort (other than co-washing, and I'm not even sure that makes any difference) on my part. Fine hair is really tricky, so that's why I'm asking.

ChristmasCarol

She does have fine hair

Anew

...as I suspected.

I don't have any experience with fine hair, but I have heard other moms say that protective styles, such as braids (without extensions) work wonders. They wash, use a light protein - like whole eggs, DC, then braid (not too tightly) and leave the style in for 2-3 weeks at a time. They spray the braids with aloe vera and ceramide oils daily. By repeating this religiously - after six months or so, there's a real difference in length. HTH

Mandy4610

Her hair is beautiful and you did a wonderful job straightening it. She is lucky to have a mom that knows her hair care stuff, it is paying off.

ChristmasCarol

Washed out the press, and here is a picture of her first wash n'go (pushed back with a headband). I never left her hair loose in the past, but I like it! I used Curls: Goddess Curls Botanical Curl Gel. My application skills leave something to be desired, but, amazingly, her hair looked the same when it dried :yep:

Last edited: