December 12 through 19 What Are Your Weekly Hair Plans?

Rastafarai

Thank you! The sad thing is I didn’t have split ends. I just went for a quarterly trim because “that’s what we’re supposed to do.” My ends we’re perfectly fine and now my hair is all over the place because the stylist just did whatever he wanted.

Was this your normal stylist? It's just crazy we can lose so much progress with one scissor-happy stylist.

Have you considered doing your own trims? You may surprise yourself and get better results. After doing some research, I decided to invest in a good pair of Japanese shears and will begin my own trims. I just don't trust these stylists any more.

Rastafarai

Idk if I am right or wrong, but I never followed this rule and my hair grew just fine. Some people need quarterly trims, but I never felt the need to do so. I trim my ends if I see them getting dry or split or every 6 months. I feel like my hair would stay the same length forever if I went to a stylist every 3 months.

I really don't beleive your ends need trimming if they are not dry or split, and perfectly fine. Especially if you don't use heat regularly.

Agreed. One stylist tried to show me the importance of trimming by doing the paper test on my hair. My ends were just fine, upon which she said, "well...it's still good to get your ends trimmed every three months...".

While I understand the importance of trims, I honestly feel we can do it on our own with better results. All we need is a proper pair of professional cutting shears. Most splits are caused by bad worn out shears used by our stylists. I told myself I will invest in a Dyson hair dryer and a good pair of shears I can do trims myself. I only want to go to salons for color.

toaster

Was this your normal stylist? It's just crazy we can lose so much progress with one scissor-happy stylist.

Have you considered doing your own trims? You may surprise yourself and get better results. After doing some research, I decided to invest in a good pair of Japanese shears and will begin my own trims. I just don't trust these stylists any more.
It was at my normal salon but with a different stylist.

I’ve been natural since 2010 and I’ve grown my hair out three times in those 10 years. I always always always trimmed my own hair.

I started doing wash and go’s in September and decided I wanted a “curly” haircut. My first cut was amazing. Second cut not so much.

I would go back to the first stylist again? But I’m going to focus on retaining length in 2021 and I’ll trim my own curls.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
You know she is HOT. She goes back and forth between telling me it’s fine, it will grow back and being angry at the stylist.

My sister is getting married in October, so I’m on a mission to retain length before the wedding!

I understand the emotions. I hate feeling like I'm sort of happy with my hair when I leave the salon only to get into better lighting at home to see the harsh reality.

What plan for monster growth do you have in place? Thank goodness you have plenty of time to improve the situation.

mzteaze

I'm like this >< with you on self trims at this point.

What made you pick the Japanese shears over other options at various price points?

Mapleoats

I’m in the same boat! I also purchased Japanese shears to do my own trims Next year. I did 0 research tho they were just top rated on amazon. Good to know they really are the best lol

toaster

I understand the emotions. I hate feeling like I'm sort of happy with my hair when I leave the salon only to get into better lighting at home to see the harsh reality.

What plan for monster growth do you have in place? Thank goodness you have plenty of time to improve the situation.
No real plan. Wash and style my hair 3 times a week. Keep going wash and go’s. Stay consistent. Keep eating well and working out. The usual.

I can’t increase my hair growth but I am lucky enough to have pretty fast hair growth and I know how to retain it.

I tried stretching my hair last night in a pineapple and woke up looking extra wonky. Pinned it down for my morning workout, and honestly it does look a bit better stretched.

F54C31F1-1A33-43ED-97D2-590D19C2E284.jpeg

Rastafarai

I'm like this >< with you on self trims at this point.

What made you pick the Japanese shears over other options at various price points?

Because of the Japanese steel used, which makes the shears sharper for longer and resistant to corrosion and physical damage.

Also, a good pair of Japanese shears comes with longer lifespans (10+ years), where stylists can trim upwards of 5,000+ cuts without the need for sharpening or replacement. Many of the good companies offer sharpening, too.

Top brands include Hikari, Kasho, Kamisori and Matsuzaki. I went with a Kasho.

mzteaze

No real plan. Wash and style my hair 3 times a week. Keep going wash and go’s. Stay consistent. Keep eating well and working out. The usual.

I can’t increase my hair growth but I am lucky enough to have pretty fast hair growth and I know how to retain it.

I tried stretching my hair last night in a pineapple and woke up looking extra wonky. Pinned it down for my morning workout, and honestly it does look a bit better stretched.

View attachment 466289

Such pretty hair :2inlove:

What made you land on three times a week hair washing? (I think you mentioned it in a different thread so sorry if this is repetitive)

mzteaze

Because of the Japanese steel used, which makes the shears sharper for longer and resistant to corrosion and physical damage.

Also, a good pair of Japanese shears comes with longer lifespans (10+ years), where stylists can trim upwards of 5,000+ cuts without the need for sharpening or replacement. Many of the good companies offer sharpening, too.

Top brands include Hikari, Kasho, Kamisori and Matsuzaki. I went with a Kasho.

I will not research this....
I will NOT research this....
I WILL NOT research this.....

- signed by my credit card

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
I will not research this....
I will NOT research this....
I WILL NOT research this.....

- signed by my credit card

Seconded.

I have to remember, I'm not gonna do the amount of haircuts that a professional would be doing who might really
benefit from the difference from German scissors...
If I have scissors that I spent more money on, knowing my poor impulse control, I will be tempted and end up chopping my hair instead of just dusting/micro-trims....

AND I lose things!

:band: save money, save money...yeah yeah yeah

toaster

Such pretty hair :2inlove:

What made you land on three times a week hair washing? (I think you mentioned it in a different thread so sorry if this is repetitive)
Aw thank you! I was washing twice a week with my longer hair and that was fine because it was heavy enough to fall into place. With my hair at this length it needs a bit more styling, so doing it an extra time will make it prettier for me to look at and not obsess over it.

I sit under a dryer for every wash and go, so I won’t have wet hair all week.

Neomorph

Finally (after a long weekend at my job) I can wash my hair)

Prepoo and detangle: Olaplex No 3 and Wet Brush
Shampoo: Walgreen's T-Sal and Scalp Brush
Deep Condition: SSI Royal Honey and Argan Mask (15 minutes with heat)
Scalp Condition: Pure Aloe Vera Gel
Style: Kinky Curly Knot Today, Kinky Curly Curling Custard, Almond Oil

Air drying in twists.

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
Plans go awry as usual, with me. :nuts:
Washed hair early morning as I noticed 2 whiteheads developing close to the hairline.
Of course, expecting shea butter would not do that was foolish. It always did years ago when I used it.
I did a pre-poo with coconut milk + small amount of black seed oil first, just remembering what Lita had mentioned about having used coconut milk with black seed powder

Prepared my new Org Raj henna from HSooq with hot water, coconut milk, small amounts of amla powder+blackseed oil+ginger powder+Humecto

Prepared org. rice water for tomorrow - rinsed it well several times prior to soak. I think some people prefer not to rinse first.

Later in the evening, as break from study - I did a 1.5 hour long hendigo treatment with it.

Indigo won't ever stick around but I have a fancy it'll keep henna on the burgundy side rather than orange, over time.
Cowashed with Giovanni 50/50.
Putting the rice water on strands tomorrow morning God willing.
Now DC plans are out the window, just to help the indigo last a lil bit. Idk about styling the rest of the week, either, will just use my old Avene lotion as a leave-in if anything. I'd rather look a mess and see if my skin improves from removing everything else.

Nothing else today, because am feeling disheartened with the blemish issue.
Will do a DC with Keracare Humecto on Wednesday, and I'm thinking that's all apart from
regular rice water rinses all week

I don't 'ferment' except for a day or so max, so it won't be difficult.

sigh. If my hair starts looking decent, my skin suffers for it.

water_n_oil

Hows the honeycomb curl whip? Is it a mousse or a cream?
It's a cream. Didn't like it at all on my 3yo and kinda meh on it for myself. I don't really use creams on our hair though. My 6yo's hair will probably like it.

ETA: Not the definition I like but a friend pointed out the instructions do specifically mention bantu knots, twists, and braids. My own fault for going based on the name alone lol. Provides really great moisture though.

Last edited:

waff

Plans for Wednesday:

Hot oil treatment:
-Scalp: DIY infused oil, 5 mins massage
-Length: Almond oil

Condition: HE HH Condish
Poo 1st wash: GKHair moisturizing shampoo
Poo 2nd wash: SM Coconut & Hibiscus shampoo

Scalp treatment: Herbal tea rinse
DC: Hask Argan oil repairing deep conditioner, 30 mins under heat

waff

What’s in your scalp oil?
Curly Proverbz's recipe:

My version is a revised version of Curly Proverbz's recipe:

Oils:
- 3 parts Carrier oil of your choice (Olive, Avocado, MCT, etc)
- 1 part JBCO oil
- Optional: 1/2 part Kalonji oil, Brahmi Oil, Bhringraj oil

I added 5-10 drops of EO I have: Rosemary, Orange, Lavender, Lemon, Tea tree, Peppermint.

Herbs:
- 3-4 tbsps of Amla powder
- 2 tbsps of Henna powder
- 3 tbsps of Fenugreek seeds
- 1 tbsp MSM
- Optional: 1/4 of Foodherbs Herbal Oil Mix bag, it has many herbs like hibiscus and many others

I kept everything in a Mason Jar under a dark cabinet for at least 3 weeks before using. I don't even strain it, I just use a glass dropper to pick up how much I need every wash day.

This recipe is not set stone, I took CurlyProverbz's version and I added other things that I like in my scalp oils for extra benefits.

I noticed a huge improvement in my scalp and hair. It could be placebo, but I noticed extra thickening in my roots. One thing I am certain of is improvement in my SD symptoms, when I am consistent the flakes completely disappear. This oil gets my scalp cleaner than any shampoo, but it's moisturizing and nourishing at the same time.

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
Curly Proverbz's recipe:

Oils:
- 1 part JBCO oil

I added 5-10 drops of EO I have: Rosemary, Orange, Lavender, Lemon, Tea tree, Peppermint.

Herbs:
- 1 tbsp MSM
- Optional: 1/4 of Foodherbs Herbal Oil Mix bag, it has many herbs like hibiscus and many others

I kept everything in a Mason Jar under a dark cabinet for at least 3 weeks before using. I don't even strain it, I just use a glass dropper to pick up how much I need every wash day.

This recipe is not set stone, I took CurlyProverbz's version and I added other things that I like in my scalp oils for extra benefits.

I noticed a huge improvement in my scalp and hair. It could be placebo, but I noticed extra thickening in my roots. One thing I am certain of is improvement in my SD symptoms, when I am consistent the flakes completely disappear. This oil gets my scalp cleaner than any shampoo, but it's moisturizing and nourishing at the same time.

Now that is brilliant! SD is a hard one to deal with, and it's amazing these things actually help, majority of this stuff is
inexpensive and easily available.

The patience you must have had to wait 3 weeks, man. I can't do it.

Good things come to those who wait eh!

Mapleoats

Curly Proverbz's recipe:

Oils:
- 1 part JBCO oil

Herbs:
- 1 tbsp MSM

Nice, I want to try CPs oil some day. I’ve been infusing a CP inspired ACV. ACV was the single most thing that helped with my SD symptoms (dry flakey scalp) so I hope addin the herbs will also kick up the growth. I put fenugreek, Amla, nettle and green tea leaves in it. And I just added some msm. The msm dissolves in the ACV so that’s nice. I’m going to dilute it with water and apply to my scalp on wash days or through out the week as needed

lorr1e1

4C (natural) currently relaxed (Mizani)
Curly Proverbz's recipe:

Oils:
- 1 part JBCO oil

Herbs:
- 1 tbsp MSM

I've never heard of these oils I'll look into it

Last edited: