Decided to get the Wash and Wear Relaxer

Nefertiti0906

metro_qt said:
I can speak for the products and the application etc...
I've been going to Jazma for a wash and wear for a year now.
A wash and wear is exactly a relaxer... The girl who does my hair told me that because my hair is wet when they put the relaxer on, it just processess a little slower.
it is their own special relaxer though, that asha researched, and had the concentrations perfected... so maybe it is considered a 'texturizer' because of it's lye percentage.. etc.

but they straight up call it a relaxer in the salon, because that's essentially what it's doing...

She leaves the relaxer in my hair for 10 to 15 minutes depending on the area of my hair and then they wash it out, and voila!

I can say that my hair is still very close to natural, especially when i go to another salon to get a blow out, and they're telling me that if they didn't see with their own eyes the demarcation point on my hair (the area where one texture meets another)
they'd assume i was fully natural...

I am finding, a year later, that I am experiencing some major breakage...
I don't know if this is my fault, (i'm not deep conditioning as often as i used to) or just the texturizer's fault, or a combination of both...

oh yea. i don't use the kerasoft products anymore... i still have some left, but for the curl and style i want to achieve, i find it cheaper and easier to use other products...

(i love their 'shapes' setting lotion though...)

Feel free to look about in my album under the texturized pics from december...

I experienced the same thing. My hair was breaking a lot and was very dry.
I'm currently growing it out of my hair; i think only the last 2-3 inches of my hair are wash and wear :). IMO it was a nightmare and was definitely not worth that much money.

naijamerican

Nefertiti0906 said:
I experienced the same thing. My hair was breaking a lot and was very dry.
I'm currently growing it out of my hair; i think only the last 2-3 inches of my hair are wash and wear :). IMO it was a nightmare and was definitely not worth that much money.

Wow!! Are you guys serious? This is not good, not good at all... I have been thinking of getting one, and come to find out you're all getting breakage???

Maybe I'll just stick to my own natural hair...

fancypants007

naijamerican said:
Wow!! Are you guys serious? This is not good, not good at all... I have been thinking of getting one, and come to find out you're all getting breakage???

Maybe I'll just stick to my own natural hair...

I do not have those problems with my hair. I try to deep condition every week under hair dryer for 30 minutes. I have never really used their products other than the conditioner and when that ran out, I never purchased anymore. I still have their products from last March when I purchased them because I just never used them...too expensive. I instead used Curl Free Curl that another person recommended as a substitute for their products but work just as well. I don't know why the other ladies may be experiencing breakage but my hair is thriving. I stopped using kerasoft relaxer around July of last year because it's too expensive and I wasn't happy with the results, (relaxer didn't seem like it took on my newgrowth). I now use SE lye and do my touchups myself. Ever since I got my wash and wear, I have been wearing it in a bun and I am amazed how much my hair has grown in less than a year. You need to decide what you want to do. This was the best decision I made because my hair is soooooo much easier to manage then it was when it was natural. I say to each their own, you decide what's going to be best for you.

Mars_Reiko

FancyPants007,

This sounds really interesting. I can't wait to see your results. Is the procedure very expensive?

fancypants007

Mars_Reiko said:
FancyPants007,

This sounds really interesting. I can't wait to see your results. Is the procedure very expensive?

Yes, the procedure and the touchups are the same price. I stopped going to get them professionally, because the last time it did not take my newgrowth well. My hair was still puffy, so now i do my touchups myself with a lye relaxer leaving it on my newgrowth around 5 minutes for application and 4-5 minutes for smoothing. My hair still comes out wavy. I understand that Silk Elements relaxers revert very fast, but that's fine with me because I'm not looking for straight hair. To give you an idea of growth, when I first got the wash and wear, she cut around 3 inches of my hair and I'm guessing but I think my hair was a little pass APL, and now my hair is a little pass BSL. It snuck up on me. I noticed just recently how long my hair was becoming. I keep my hair moist/damp most of the time and wearing protective styles (bun 99% of the time) has helped me gain and retain growth. I'm also giving more than the usual attention to eating healthy, taking my supplements etc. I'm taking pictures and I will post them when I finish the Sweet Success Challenge that I'm on and that will not be over until May 1st. I will give a shout out and post pictures of my progress at that time. I forgot to mention, if you want to get the wash and wear your hair has to be natural without any chemicals. Are you thinking about getting one?

delp

VWVixxen said:
That's awesome!! I'm glad you found something that will most likely work out really well for you. I bought the Video last year and used that technique for texturizing my hair, it worked really well, I especially like the off the scalp application, never any burns or scalp irritation. :up:

I had this a few yrs back. Did not like it. But, i do remember her washing my hair prior to relaxing. Is this a better technique Vixxen? Will it work with any relaxer? What's the benefits?