Deep Conditioners: Light or Heavy To Work?

PaperClip

Does a deep conditioner have to be light or heavy to work?

Does it matter if your hair is natural or relaxed?

Fine or Thick?

A light deep conditioner is like from the Aubrey Organics line, e.g., Honeysuckle Rose or GP (or whatever one that's called).

A heavy deep conditioner is like Elasta DPR-11.

Is there a deep conditioner that's in between light and heavy?

I may have these classifications in error. Kindly correct and please provide recommendations for quality, effective deep conditioners. It would be helpful to know if 'cones and/or proteins are a main ingredient.

Thank you.

breezy

Well I don't know if this is considered heavy or light, but I use the ORS packet for Deep Conditioning once a week on my relaxed hair and it keeps my hair in perfect condition. I always get really good slip, my hair is soft for days, and my hair feels strong.

AtlantaJJ

RelaxerRehab said:

Fine or Thick?

A light deep conditioner is like from the Aubrey Organics line, e.g., Honeysuckle Rose or GP (or whatever one that's called).

I may have these classifications in error. Kindly correct and please provide recommendations for quality, effective deep conditioners. It would be helpful to know if 'cones and/or proteins are a main ingredient.

Thank you.

You so good, you reading my mind right?? I am wondering the same things :)

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
RelaxerRehab said:

Fine or Thick?

Thank you.

Do you have other examples of light and heavy deep conditioners? I have never used or seen the products that were mentioned, so I don't know what to compare them to.

LynnieB

RelaxerRehab said:

for me it does. since i'm long term transitioning any conditioner HAS to work well on both new growth and the relaxed ends.

Fine or Thick?

my hair's pretty thick and i actually prefer the thicker conditioners.

i dunno if i actually consider either one of them light though. the consistency is extremely thick and provides some really intensive moisture.
between the gpb (yes it is def. v. light protein) and the HR, i find i really don't need anything else. it's when i run low on either one that i start mixing in some dpr (some times ors replenishing pack (very slimy)...only sometimes) in the batch to make it stretch.

the more waterbased elasta H20 i actually consider a light leave-in/detangler conditioner. some consider the giovanni leave-in as light too...i found and bought some. i'm trying very hard to work with it but i'm finding that the little bit of protein (or the type of protein) it contains leaves a weird coating on my hair and maybe even having a drying effect (jury still out).

i consider it a heavy (intensive) moisture type conditioner with a more slimy consistency.

consistency wise i'd consider the H2O to be on the lightest side and the dpr-11 to be on the thickest. if the product description says intensive moisturizing or intensive protein, i'd say it was a "heavy" product regardless of the consistency.

Thank you.

sometimes a really light consistency product can have heavy conditioning properties depending on the user's own hair but the product description usually is a good clue.

geez, now i'm all confuzzled too! are we going by the consistency of the product or the amount of moisturizing (or protein) properties the product has....:D

Proudpiscean

Great question RR! I like the consistency of ORS replenishing paks I think it's the perfect consistency for my hair. When I use DPR-11 "as is" it feels like it just sits on my hair without penetrating; however, when I mix it with the ORS pak & a little olive oil and heat it in the microwave before applying it to my hair it works wonderfully! So I think somewhere in the middle (medium consistency) is best :yep:

breezy

amr501 said:
Great question RR! I like the consistency of ORS replenishing paks I think it's the perfect consistency for my hair. When I use DPR-11 "as is" it feels like it just sits on my hair without penetrating; however, when I mix it with the ORS pak & a little olive oil and heat it in the microwave before applying it to my hair it works wonderfully! So I think somewhere in the middle (medium consistency) is best :yep:

This is how I use mine also.

LocksOfLuV

I read somewhere that a lot ot really thick conditioners has potato starch or some other thickeners in it which make deep conditioning without heat mute. I remember it saying that it is recommended that you use heat to get these to actually penetrate. I always use heat anyways and I avoid conditioners with potato starch (because I think that ingredient is stupid/cheap) so I never really had a problem with conditioners penetrating.

But on the other hand, I have deep conditioned with watered down conditioners and the verdict is ->:perplexed :nono: :sad: . Although I admit, less thick conditioners make it easier for me to apply them.

I think the conditioner should be somewhat thick (my personal opinion) without the thickeners such as potato start, mineral oil, petro, etc if you want a adequate deep conditioning. I think, that if the conditioner has good ingredients and is naturally thick that is def. a plus! Suave and 'nem won't cut it (for me atleast).

PaperClip

B_Phlyy said:
Do you have other examples of light and heavy deep conditioners? I have never used or seen the products that were mentioned, so I don't know what to compare them to.

I'm sorry, I don't... My range of conditioner usage has been kind of limited....

Also bumping for more responses, please.

PaperClip

amr501 said:

Ok... that's interesting. I think I've had similar results with the DPR-11 in terms of not feeling like it's penetrating....

So would say that regardless of the thickness of the conditioner, the "deep" part is done with the use of heat, either in a microwave before application or using a bonnet dryer?

Proudpiscean

RelaxerRehab said:
Ok... that's interesting. I think I've had similar results with the DPR-11 in terms of not feeling like it's penetrating....

So would say that regardless of the thickness of the conditioner, the "deep" part is done with the use of heat, either in a microwave before application or using a bonnet dryer?

Yes, I think heating it is key to getting the full benefits :yep:
I notice after heating it, it was thinner and it definitely penetrated the strands- my hair felt moisturized. When I used it before without heat and just covering my hair with a plastic cap it just sat there like a helmet :lol:

Angelicus

My pre-treatment mixes are of medium viscosity, kinda like soft serve/runny pudding. I have many other conditioners I use after shampooing that are thicker (yogurt-like viscosity) so that is what I am used to.

Elasta QP has a treatment (Breakage control serum) that is very thin but very effective. I liked it a lot.

To me, I don't care about viscosity. As long as it detangles, I will buy it. Even if it's effective at stopping breakage... if it won't detangle, i wont buy it.

gimbap

amr501 said:
Yes, I think heating it is key to getting the full benefits :yep:
I notice after heating it, it was thinner and it definitely penetrated the strands- my hair felt moisturized. When I used it before without heat and just covering my hair with a plastic cap it just sat there like a helmet :lol:

Funny, I JUST wrote in the November Hit/Miss thread that I felt like DPR-11 was too thick also! Maybe I'll try heating it up and see how I like it.

kbragg

anky said:
My pre-treatment mixes are of medium viscosity, kinda like soft serve/runny pudding. I have many other conditioners I use after shampooing that are thicker (yogurt-like viscosity) so that is what I am used to.

Elasta QP has a treatment (Breakage control serum) that is very thin but very effective. I liked it a lot.

To me, I don't care about viscosity. As long as it detangles, I will buy it. Even if it's effective at stopping breakage... if it won't detangle, i wont buy it.

Girl why you got me wondering if my car needs an oil change with all this talk about viscosity!?!?!:lachen: