Deep Conditioning On Dry Low Porosity Hair

outspokenwallflower

Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of starting my hair washing routine but wanted to do something a little different than usual (Patchouli85 on YouTube deep conditioning recipe/routine). I just did a porosity test and learned that my hair is low porosity-- would it be pointless to apply deep conditioner to my hair while dry if the cuticles of my hair are supposedly so flat and compact when in a dry state? Would it best to just apply deep conditioner to wet hair?

faithVA

I am low porosity and I have never been able to condition on dry hair. First there is the issue of flat cuticles. But secondly there is the issue of trying to apply conditioner over product on low porosity hair. Conditioner works much better on my hair when it is bare.

With that said, if you did the water test, it is highly unreliable related to porosity. For low porosity look for other things like 1. Taking a long period of time for hair to become completely wet while washing. 2. Hair products not absorbing but sitting on top of the hair. 3. Chemical services not taking as well as they could. 4. Hair taking a extremely long time to dry.

You can always try it and see how it works for you. All you have to lose is time.

outspokenwallflower

I am low porosity and I have never been able to condition on dry hair. First there is the issue of flat cuticles. But secondly there is the issue of trying to apply conditioner over product on low porosity hair. Conditioner works much better on my hair when it is bare.

With that said, if you did the water test, it is highly unreliable related to porosity. For low porosity look for other things like 1. Taking a long period of time for hair to become completely wet while washing. 2. Hair products not absorbing but sitting on top of the hair. 3. Chemical services not taking as well as they could. 4. Hair taking a extremely long time to dry.

You can always try it and see how it works for you. All you have to lose is time.

I feel as though everything except for #4 applies to me-- my hair dries very quickly. That's why, up until this point (of doing the strand test) I always thought I was high porosity. I've also thought my hair was rather absorbent when it came to things like hair color but it could just be in my mind, lol.

faithVA

I feel as though everything except for #4 applies to me-- my hair dries very quickly. That's why, up until this point (of doing the strand test) I always thought I was high porosity. I've also thought my hair was rather absorbent when it came to things like hair color but it could just be in my mind, lol.

If you think you are high porosity, you probably are. Conditioning on dry hair should work pretty well for you.

outspokenwallflower

If you think you are high porosity, you probably are. Conditioning on dry hair should work pretty well for you.

I have the conditioning mix in my hair now and I'll update with results. I am thinking I'm most likely low porosity, although once again, I assumed chemically treated hair (relaxed AND colored) is more likely to be high porosity. But my hair does take a little while to get wet and I always feel as though my hair isn't moisturized enough. I will start exploring low porosity regimens/products, but out of curiosity, how do you deal with getting your hair to feel moist and hydrated @faithVA ?

faithVA

I have the conditioning mix in my hair now and I'll update with results. I am thinking I'm most likely low porosity, although once again, I assumed chemically treated hair (relaxed AND colored) is more likely to be high porosity. But my hair does take a little while to get wet and I always feel as though my hair isn't moisturized enough. I will start exploring low porosity regimens/products, but out of curiosity, how do you deal with getting your hair to feel moist and hydrated @faithVA ?

It's been a struggle. I tried a lot of things but ended up doing the Max Hydration Method and it has really helped.

What I really think that is helping is 1. Limiting the use of shampoo and drying cleansers. 2. Putting some type of water on my hair every 3 to 4 days. 3 days works better. 3. Clarifying my hair using clays. I seem to get build up quite easily so I need to remove as much product from my hair as possible each time I do a cleansing.

Let me know how the conditioning works out.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Did you use a clean (clarified & chelated) piece of hair for the water test? While the test isn't 100%, it's a little more accurate when done on clean hair.

I am able to dry deep condition with dry and moist heat without issue. If you're concerned with doing it this way, mist your hair with water first and then apply your conditioner.

beingofserenity

What seems to work for me.

Not washing my hair with shampoo/conditioner. Wetting/rinsing my hair is ok.

Stretching via banding or african threading.

Shea butter

Clays are great too, but can be drying if left on too long.

Only been doing this a week, so far, hair is softer.

outspokenwallflower

So, I tried the dry deep conditioning method and it didn't really work for me. I could tell y hair wasn't absorbing the conditioner by the way it was just sitting atop the hair. I added a lot of hot water, defeating the purpose of dry conditioning, to my hair and it began to curl and shrink up like I'd wanted.

@divachyk I chelated with ORS, towel dried then performed the test.

LdyKamz

I'm low porosity and dry deep conditioning doesn't work for me although it took me forever to figure that out. I would deep condition on dry hair and leave it for hours and when I took the cap off the conditioner would still be sitting there on top of my hair. I tried once over night and by morning time I saw it had just started to penetrate but some parts were mushy.

Dcing on wet hair is good for my hair. But my hair sings when I dc on damp hair and sit under the dryer for about 10 - 15 minutes.

Last edited:

bklynbornNbred

Conditioning with heat makes all the difference for me. Even if its just 15 minutes. When I really have time 30 is best. I get better results than I ever got with over night attempts.

If you like the ingredients of the conditioner mix you referred to then try again with some heat.

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
@outspokenwallflower - I think I'm low-to-normal porosity and I "dry" condition with regular Tresemme' Naturals or Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle conditioners as a pre-poo (this is actually recommended for 'textured' hair in the Curly Girl Handbook). Doing this softens my hair and really does help my hair 'accept' what's coming next. It's also easier to detangle my hair. Everyone's hair is different, though. Try it and see how it works for you.

Anaisin

@outspokenwallflower - I think I'm low-to-normal porosity and I "dry" condition with regular Tresemme' Naturals or Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle conditioners as a pre-poo (this is actually recommended for 'textured' hair in the Curly Girl Handbook). Doing this softens my hair and really does help my hair 'accept' what's coming next. It's also easier to detangle my hair. Everyone's hair is different, though. Try it and see how it works for you.

I do this too. My hair doesn't turn out the same if I don't DC/pre poo before. I use heat too

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
I do this too. My hair doesn't turn out the same if I don't DC/pre poo before. I use heat too
My hair isn't the same either, unless I start off w/a clay rinse. If I'm just co-washing, I'd better DC/pre poo. I also warm my products. My hair LOVES it.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Nothing works on dry hair for me, I have to spritz it with water first.
My hair also prefers a warm DC with heat be it greenhouse, steamer or dryer

Same here. This is why I don't bother with moisturizers between washes. If my hair gets dry its time to prepoo, wash, and steam/heat DC.

grow

It's been a struggle. I tried a lot of things but ended up doing the Max Hydration Method and it has really helped.

What I really think that is helping is 1. Limiting the use of shampoo and drying cleansers. 2. Putting some type of water on my hair every 3 to 4 days. 3 days works better. 3. Clarifying my hair using clays. I seem to get build up quite easily so I need to remove as much product from my hair as possible each time I do a cleansing.

Let me know how the conditioning works out.
Which clarifying clays do you use? They don't dry out your hair?

T.i.a.

faithVA

Which clarifying clays do you use? They don't dry out your hair?

T.i.a.
I use rhassoul primarily and sodium bentonite occasionally. These two don't dry out my hair and my hair tends to be quite dry naturally. I have calcium bentonite but I never use that by itself. I may add 2 tsps of it with a few tbsps of the others. Calcium bentonite dries out my hair pretty bad.

I've tried some of the other clays kaolin and pink & red something but they are way too messy.

bluenvy

I'm low porosity. Dry conditioning is a no go. So I must add little water, or it will feel dry still.
Using heat while dc is the best option for me too. Without it my hair won't feel as soft.