Deep Conditioning and Low Porosity??

LightEyedMami

I am a Low Porosity course 4b so 99% of the time my hair is soooo dry, i have recently found out that aloe vera,shea butter, and heavy oils can be the enemy to my type of hair, but those ingredients are in all three of the conditioners i use (Shea Moisture, Giovonni 50/50, and Aubrey organics Honey suckle rose)......so what should i do my hair seems to be ok right after deep conditioning (literally just that day), so my questions are.....

Is deep conditioning 2-3 times a week to much?

What are some natural(ish) hair conditioners and leave-ins that Don't have aloe vera, shea butter, oils, and minimal protein?

-I really need to find products that will penetrate my hair and not just sit on top...HELP PLEASE!

virtuenow

Aloe vera, oils and protein are the best things for hair. Why do you think otherwise? I would not purposely get rid of these products esp if the conditioner works on your hair. I've been diagnosed w/low porosity (per the low porosity thread) and AO GPB and HSR are the best conditioners my hair has ever met; along w/aloe vera pre-poos. They are helping to rebuild my strands and correct my porosity.

LightEyedMami

Aloe vera, oils and protein are the best things for hair. Why do you think otherwise? I would not purposely get rid of these products esp if the conditioner works on your hair. I've been diagnosed w/low porosity (per the low porosity thread) and AO GPB and HSR are the best conditioners my hair has ever met; along w/aloe vera pre-poos. They are helping to rebuild my strands and correct my porosity.
virtuenow I'm just really confused as to what im supposed to be doing, my hair is hard as a brillo pad, the only time it feels soft is immediately after a deep condition (not even a co-wash), should i mix my conditioners with honey or glycerin maybe??....I just want my hair soft, it doesn't have to be "butter" soft, just not rock hard :nono:!.. and is heat deep conditioning every other day or 3 days to much???...

*and i have the GPB condish i just havent used it yet because i need to finish of my aphoghee 2 minute first

Last edited:

LightEyedMami

I'm not sure, but i don't think so because i always try to lean on the moisture side, i use AOHSR and it doesn't have protein, and i don't think shea moisture deep treatmentt does either, a big problem for me is that i have been using hair butter and oils as a leave in but, but i don't think they are hydrating....i need suggestions for a natural leave in that is really moisterizing (i have only tried giovonni direct, and its ok)

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I'm not sure, but i don't think so because i always try to lean on the moisture side, i use AOHSR and it doesn't have protein, and i don't think shea moisture deep treatmentt does either, a big problem for me is that i have been using hair butter and oils as a leave in but, but i don't think they are hydrating....i need suggestions for a natural leave in that is really moisterizing (i have only tried giovonni direct, and its ok)

Use a water-based leave-in or moisturizer as your leave-in. Then once your hair is dry, use the oils or butters to seal.

You are correct that shea could cause a problem. It can coat hair and block moisture, but it can also help keep moisture in. It's a matter of clarifying it out every so often for me. AOHSR doesn't have enough shea butter in it, in my opinion, to have a negative effect.

LightEyedMami

Use a water-based leave-in or moisturizer as your leave-in. Then once your hair is dry, use the oils or butters to seal.

You are correct that shea could cause a problem. It can coat hair and block moisture, but it can also help keep moisture in. It's a matter of clarifying it out every so often for me. AOHSR doesn't have enough shea butter in it, in my opinion, to have a negative effect.
Thank you!!! I just deep conditioned and i decided to give my giovonni leave in (without oil this time) another shot and it seems to be working!....and im glad you said that AOHSR because i have used it for years and don't want to get rid of it.... i think i will stop using the SMDT though because it does seem to sit on my hair.

LightEyedMami

@LightEyedMami, DCing 2-3 weekly may be ok for some but it's too much manipulation for my hair.
Thanks for your response, usually that would be the case for me too, but im currently wearing braids, and i can do more with my hair without losing any hair when i wear braids or twists. I have decided to do 2x a week, and see how that goes for at least a month.

Evolving78

OP, all of what you mentioned, i can't use either. only light moisturizers(liquid) and light oils work for my hair. and i deep condition my hair twice a week. but i shampoo twice a week too. my hair can't handle buildup.

DominicanBrazilian82

virtuenow said:

How do you know if you have low porosity? Or if conditioners are just sitting on top and not penetrating?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Blairx0

I think I am low po too. I avoid heavier things unless I am applying on old hairn so I use lighter products on wet hair and heavier products on dry hair. I don't think my hair likes raw shea butter or too much oil. But dc with heat is my friend

DesignerCurls

LightEyedMami
I have learned that sometimes its not the products. If there is hardwater or chemicals in your area, it can make your hair hard. Once I used a water filter it made a difference because I thought I couldnt use aloe vera, shea butter, henna and was protein sensitive.

Last edited:

LightEyedMami

[USER]
DesignerCurls
[/USER] I agree, I got a shower filter a few years back and it did help, although i barely change the filter (which defeats the purpose :lol:).

Jojofree

Please do yourself a favor and get rid of the protein for at least 1 month to see what the real culprit is.
Try to avoid wheat, soy, pro vitamin B5, panthenol, in product ingredients. Silk protein may be ok, but make sure it is not in top 5 ingredients. Personally aloe vera my be an issue but if your hair has not improved try limiting from top 5 ingredients. Water based conditioners are your friend!
Jessicurl DC is a good one. That will get your hair back in shape. Oyin Honey Hemp condish is my boo! It is great for rinse out, detangler, and leave in. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

KittyMeowMeow

If you meant that your hair is soft while it's still wet, but then dries hard, that's probably product buildup - if so, clarify to get rid of it.

karenjoe

just bought "Porosity Control shampoo (#233 repair system) by Roux.... I like it
it made my hair feel better than apoghee 1 & 2 which, I will not buy anymore.
I went back to old school fermadoyl tubes too.
Sale at Sally's buy one get one free.

karenjoe

Have you considered that you may have too much protein in your hair?

I was told this exact thing!:blush: I told how black tea worked one month & didn't the next......
I was told my hair didn't need it.:drunk:...

I thought huh? I only washing once a month at that time..... so

mg1979

If you have hard water, a filter is not going to help. You need a water softener. The only in shower water softener I've ever heard of is the http://www.watersticks.com/index1.htm. All the other water softeners are units that attach else where like the basement. Water filters only remove contaminants like chlorine.

bb09

OP, all of what you mentioned, i can't use either. only light moisturizers(liquid) and light oils work for my hair. and i deep condition my hair twice a week. but i shampoo twice a week too. my hair can't handle buildup.
@shortdub78 -wow, what products do you use? AO white camellia seems to be the closest thing to minimising my breakage. I still see a lot of broken hairs though. Otherwise, nothing's worked.

karenjoe

@karenjoe: Are you sure you have low porosity hair? Roux Porosity Control is designed for high porosity.

:perplexed not sure, the shampoo I bought Porosity Control Shampoo 233 for "chemically treated hair"
made my hair feel really soft & silky.

My NG was soft you could clearly see it but I couldn't feel it...

mg1979

:perplexed not sure, the shampoo I bought Porosity Control Shampoo 233 for "chemically treated hair"
made my hair feel really soft & silky.

My NG was soft you could clearly see it but I couldn't feel it...

If it's the Roux Porosity Control Shampoo 233 in the first pic, the description on Sally's Beauty Supply says:
"Roux Porosity Control Shampoo is ideal as a finishing shampoo for predictable chemical service results on extremely damaged, overly porous hair. It cleanses without stripping natural oils and conditions hair where it needs it most. Used daily, it repairs porous hair and keeps chemically treated hair lustrous and vibrant."
But I see there's another one in the second pic called Roux 233 Repairing Shampoo:
"Roux 233 Repairing Shampoo is specifically formulated to help repair hair damaged by chemical services or thermal styling. Specialized cleansers and moisturizers powered by plant proteins penetrate the hair to strengthen, repair and nourish."

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Capture 2.jpg
    Capture 2.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 2

alive

Some people can get away with DCing multiple times a week but it's just too time consuming to be an option for me.

With regard to products, I wont avoid the items you mentioned altogether. Just experiment to pin point what exactly is causing problems. For me, aloe Vera is a menace. Its unbelievable how badly it dries out my hair and skin

Also, try using smaller quantities of products at a time. It's tempting to be heavy handed when dealing with dryness but using too many products at a time tends to have a counter productive effect

Hope this helps

Evolving78

@shortdub78 -wow, what products do you use? AO white camellia seems to be the closest thing to minimising my breakage. I still see a lot of broken hairs though. Otherwise, nothing's worked.

bb09
i use Wave Nouveau Moisturizing Mist, or i use Creme Of Nature Leave-in with Argan Oil. the WN has glycerin in it, but it is not as heavy as Scurl or Hawaiian Silky. it dries quickly, so it doesn't make my hair wet. i spray lightly and seal with oil. i like jojoba oil. it is very light and absorbs right away.

the conditioenr i am currently using is Mizani MoisturFusion conditioner. i don't add anything else to it. it does the job.

i think my breakage comes more from me, than my hair being dry. i try to be as gentle as possible, but i still find myself being rough some times. (rushing)

bb09

@shortdub78 -thanks so much ^^. Do you use the wave nouveau on straightened hair at all? & do you spritz your hair (with water) before using either leave-in?

Evolving78

@shortdub78 -thanks so much ^^. Do you use the wave nouveau on straightened hair at all? & do you spritz your hair (with water) before using either leave-in?

i use the WN on dry hair daily. i use my leave-in after dc'ing and sometimes i use it as a moisturizer too. i also use a light creamy leave-in after i dc too.

karenjoe

If it's the Roux Porosity Control Shampoo 233 in the first pic, the description on Sally's Beauty Supply says:
"Roux Porosity Control Shampoo is ideal as a finishing shampoo for predictable chemical service results on extremely damaged, overly porous hair. It cleanses without stripping natural oils and conditions hair where it needs it most. Used daily, it repairs porous hair and keeps chemically treated hair lustrous and vibrant."
But I see there's another one in the second pic called Roux 233 Repairing Shampoo:
"Roux 233 Repairing Shampoo is specifically formulated to help repair hair damaged by chemical services or thermal styling. Specialized cleansers and moisturizers powered by plant proteins penetrate the hair to strengthen, repair and nourish."
oh i got the first one Porosity Control shampoo.....
on the back of the bottle it say it instantly strenghthens hair by 34%:sad:
that's not a lot.....
the good thing is:
it's mild enough for daily use (which we know I don't do):lol:
I thought Patene for women of color was one the best shampoos I've used until I tried this.