Low porosity ladies who have tried dry deep conditioning

mg1979

I've been checking out old threads about deep conditioning on dry hair (as in not wet), and I'm wondering how well this works for low porosity ladies. If you are low porosity and have tried this before, what did you think? Does it work better than deep conditioning on wet hair? What products do you use? What's your process? Do you do this prior to washing/co-washing or after letting the hair air dry first? How long do you dc?

faithVA

I have tried DCin on dry hair a few times and I haven't found it works for me. Dcing on wet hair has been better. The conditioner just seems to sit on my hair when its dry and I didn't see any additional moisture. I also have to use more conditioner when its dry, its harder to apply and I end up with more breakage. It definitely does not feel as good after the rinse as when I do it on wet hair. Just my findings.

GIJane

When I was home I would put dc on my dry hair and then steamed afterwards. I got good results. I need to try that again. Thanks @mg1979. I forgot all about this method. I am going to try this again. I dc for about 20-30 mins.

TheNDofUO

I couldn't really tell a difference to be honest. But as I wash my hair twice a week DCing naturally follows so my hair is often wet when I DC.

hair4today

mg1979, low porosity head checking in. To save on time, I tried DCing on dry hair and it didn't work for me. My experience was similar to FaithVa, harder to apply and hair wasn't properly moisturized. I found that I had to at least spritz my hair with water or do a preliminary water rinse to increase absorption of the DC for it to be effective. My normal routine is as follows: I apply a protein based DC as a pre-poo treatment. I first spritz my hair with water or apply a black tea rinse (pour tea over dry hair) then I apply a light protein DC/reconsructor, steam for 30 mins using my steamer, rinse, shampoo or co-wash with rinse-out conditioner, apply moisture DC for 30 mins (only when I shampoo), rinse, apply leave-in, then style. Saves from jumping in and out of the shower, keeps my protein/balance in check plus the steamer infuses strength and moisture into the strands prior to doing all my wash day activities which limits breakage. When I'm done my hair feels really conditioned.

Last edited:

Ogoma

I DC on damp hair. I spritz a little bit of water before applying the DC. I steam so I haven't noticed any difference between wet or damp-dry hair except I use more product with the later method. It saves me time and that, to me, is more important.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
I overnight DC on damp hair, and find that's when I get the best results. Even if I DC'd with wet hair, I'd have to use heat to get the same results...and the results were never consistent.

discodumpling

If you find that DCing on completly dry hair does not allow the DC to penetrate your strands then try spritzing lightly with water to make your hair more pliable and accepting of the DC. This is what I do. I also put a baggy on if doing a dry (dirty) hair treatment. The GHE allows moisture to penetrate & infuse my strands.

mg1979

Interesting...I saw a couple of low porosity ladies say in other threads or sites that dry deep conditioning works so much better than wet, they only dry dc now. It seems counter to what I would expect. It seems like it at least needs to be damp.

miss stress

DD and I ONLY DC on dry hair nowadays. We wash our hair and let it air dry. Then we use our HSR or GPB and leave it on for an hr under a plastic cap then sit under the dryer for 20min wait for it to cool down then rinse it out. Perfect moisture and hair everytime.

However, I have found that it doesnt work as well if you dont use heat. I've even tried it overnight and it just wasnt the same. I assume you need the heat to open up the tightly compacted cuticals that alot of low porosity heads have.

zoromo

I DC on dry hair. I just did it in fact after a while of doing it the traditional way. This friday I put cheapie condish, a DC, and a cap and it seems to help some of the properties of the condish get into my hair a tad bit more...the difference is not very pronounced.

AJellyCake

I have tried DCin on dry hair a few times and I haven't found it works for me. Dcing on wet hair has been better. The conditioner just seems to sit on my hair when its dry and I didn't see any additional moisture. I also have to use more conditioner when its dry, its harder to apply [...]. It definitely does not feel as good after the rinse as when I do it on wet hair. Just my findings.

^^ This!

This was my experience with dry DCing with AO products (some of my absolute favorite DCs to use on wet/damp hair with or without heat).

Dry DCing didn't do anything for me. I don't want to repeat everything faithVA said, but those sentiments almost completely mimic my own. I didn't have good results, and I ended up using wayyyyy more product (it just didn't seem to spread as easily). So for me, dry DCing is a no. Maybe it's because for low-po hair our cuticles aren't open enough to absorb the product when dry.

I also get more moisturized hair when I baggy overnight versus just M&Sing under a scarf.

ETA: If you want to try dry DCing, I would probably spritz hair first then use a plastic cap, wrap your hair in a towel (or use heat), and do it for a few hours. All of these other things should help the DC penetrate the cuticle better.

Last edited:

Blairx0

Dry DCing isn't very effective for my hair and as other have stated requires more product and I have found distrubting the product to be diffcult and time consuming. But as I dont want to shower numerous times, I spray my hair with water one section at a time and wear a plastic cap for about an hour or so. I find damp conditoning to be effective in terms of my hair feeling mosit and happy. I deep condition with greek yogurt and AO HSR depending if I want a protein boost or more mositure, respectively.

Have you tried deep conditioning on damp hair?

LoveCraze

Naturalista
When I was home I would put dc on my dry hair and then steamed afterwards. I got good results. I need to try that again. Thanks @mg1979. I forgot all about this method. I am going to try this again. I dc for about 20-30 mins.

This is what I do also. Dc on dry hair and then steam for 30 mins. I get good results every time.

Evolving78

it doesn't really work for me either. i have to do it on damp hair. if i had a steamer, it wouldn't be a problem.

mg1979

Dry DCing isn't very effective for my hair and as other have stated requires more product and I have found distrubting the product to be diffcult and time consuming. But as I dont want to shower numerous times, I spray my hair with water one section at a time and wear a plastic cap for about an hour or so. I find damp conditoning to be effective in terms of my hair feeling mosit and happy. I deep condition with greek yogurt and AO HSR depending if I want a protein boost or more mositure, respectively.

Have you tried deep conditioning on damp hair?

Not yet, but I think I'll give it a try. I've always done wet hair and it never dries and the product just sits there. I'm thinking its just too much water. If I do the dry, I may have to still spritz it with water as some suggested. Some conditioners are just too thick, you'd probably have too water it down to even try.

Have you ever thought of doing a baking soda treatment? It might help with your porosity.

I'm not sold on baking soda treatments and my water is so alkaline with its high pH I would think that's enough.