Demi Permanent Color

janeemat

Ladies, I've been using Sebastian Colourshines, but since I have quite a bit of gray hairs popping up, I was wondering if a demi permanent color works better at covering the gray hair and will last longer. I heard that you can get these the same time you get a relaxer. Is that true? What are some brands of demi permanent colors. I'm scared of permanent colors, so that is not an option. I can remember my old stylist used something about 3 years ago that was suppose to last longer than semi that she had to mix and put it on the same time I got my relaxer. Well, to say the least, my hair fell out through out my head. This was done twice on 2 relaxers before i realized that my hair was breaking off. Some places were broken down to the scalp. After that a stylist told me that if they have to mix it, don't get it. Wow, does this bring back memories. I may just stick with the Sebastian. Is there a colorist on the board? Help a sista out!

Last edited:

StLucianSweetie

I'd like to know this as well. I would like to dye my hair a dark dark brown almost black color b/c im so jealous of how healthy these ladies hair look when so dark. But after my last couple of experiences with permanent color and the growing out phase, im scurred.:look:

Kari107

janeemat said:
Ladies, I've been using Sebastian Colourshines, but since I have quite a bit of gray hairs popping up, I was wondering if a demi permanent color works better at covering the gray hair and will last longer. I heard that you can get these the same time you get a relaxer. Is that true? What are some brands of demi permanent colors. I'm scared of permanent colors, so that is not an option. I can remember my old stylist used something about 3 years ago that was suppose to last longer than semi that she had to mix and put it on the same time I got my relaxer. Well, to say the least, my hair fell out through out my head. This was done twice on 2 relaxers before i realized that my hair was breaking off. Some places were broken down to the scalp. After that a stylist told me that if they have to mix it, don't get it. Wow, does this bring back memories. I may just stick with the Sebastian. Is there a colorist on the board? Help a sista out!
A demi should last longer than a semi but I don't know how well the cover grey. A demi should never be done with a relaxer. I can't believe a stylist might have done that. I just bought natural insticts which I plan to use today and it says to wait at least a week and one shampoo. Perhaps a demi done alone may not be so damaging. Some brands are as I mentioned natural instincts, loreal color gems, and wella makes a demi (Those are the only brands I can think of right now).

janeemat

Kari107 said:
A demi should last longer than a semi but I don't know how well the cover grey. A demi should never be done with a relaxer. I can't believe a stylist might have done that. I just bought natural insticts which I plan to use today and it says to wait at least a week and one shampoo. Perhaps a demi done alone may not be so damaging. Some brands are as I mentioned natural instincts, loreal color gems, and wella makes a demi (Those are the only brands I can think of right now).

Kari,

Do you have to mix the natural instinct? From what I was told that there is something called a developer that stylist mix in colors. It was stated as being a 5, 10, 20 or something to that effect. I understand a 5 should not be damaging at all. But if you mix anything stronger it will be damaging, especially when you put it right behind a relaxer. I really think my stylist mistaklely mixed a stronger developer in it. I had been going to her for 15 years but that was the last straw. I may make a trip to the BSS and do some research. My new stylist of the last 2 yrs states that I would be able to get a demi the same time as a relaxer but you said NOT. I even had it scheduled the last time I got my relaxer but changed my mind. Dang I'm glad I did! Girl I'm going with you on this and do my own homework before any kind of color come near my head.

Kari107

janeemat said:
Kari,

Do you have to mix the natural instinct? From what I was told that there is something called a developer that stylist mix in colors. It was stated as being a 5, 10, 20 or something to that effect. I understand a 5 should not be damaging at all. But if you mix anything stronger it will be damaging, especially when you put it right behind a relaxer. I really think my stylist mistaklely mixed a stronger developer in it. I had been going to her for 15 years but that was the last straw. I may make a trip to the BSS and do some research. My new stylist of the last 2 yrs states that I would be able to get a demi the same time as a relaxer but you said NOT. I even had it scheduled the last time I got my relaxer but changed my mind. Dang I'm glad I did! Girl I'm going with you on this and do my own homework before any kind of color come near my head.
Yes, natural instincts must be mixed. The developer is the most important part of the mixture. The developer contains the peroxide which allow the color to penetrate the hair. Developer is used in demi and permanent color. A permanent color contains around a 20 developer. A demi contains around a 10 so it cannot make any permanent changes. Several people here use demi with no damage but like I said even the instructions tell you to wait after a relaxer. It's good that you decided to to some research because some stylist will put anything on our hair as long as you let them. Once I went to a stylist to lighten my hair she used a lightener then proceeded to put color over it. She also sat me under the dryer with permanent color which should not be done. I'm still paying for that now my hair is dry. That was before LHCF because if that was now i would have never allowed her to do that.

Arcadian

I use Wella Demi Colors. I have used them on the same day I relax but I do not use heat. (20 minutes with a bag on my head is all it took). They have black, but black looks weird on me. I use dark brown which is what my hair is anyway. Does cover gray hair very well.

Lasts about 6 weeks or so.

You do have to make sure that you dc after rinsing it out. There's no need to shampoo, just rinse until the water runs clear.

When I use it I mix the 1/2 clear with 1/2 color, then developer. You can get this brand at Sally's.

I may very well go back to this after I'm done experimenting with cassia, if only to get my color back to normal.

-A

StLucianSweetie

Arcadian said:
I use Wella Demi Colors. I have used them on the same day I relax but I do not use heat. (20 minutes with a bag on my head is all it took). They have black, but black looks weird on me. I use dark brown which is what my hair is anyway. Does cover gray hair very well.

Lasts about 6 weeks or so.

You do have to make sure that you dc after rinsing it out. There's no need to shampoo, just rinse until the water runs clear.

When I use it I mix the 1/2 clear with 1/2 color, then developer. You can get this brand at Sally's.

I may very well go back to this after I'm done experimenting with cassia, if only to get my color back to normal.

-A

So I am checking the website:
http://www.wellausa.com/consumer/products_consumer/american_classics/color_charm_developer.jsp?http://www.liquidhair.com
And they recommend the Activation Lotion for the Demi-permanent, whereas you say you are using the developer? Is there any certain reason for this? You find better results? TIA

Arcadian

StLucianSweetie said:
So I am checking the website:
http://www.wellausa.com/consumer/products_consumer/american_classics/color_charm_developer.jsp?http://www.liquidhair.com
And they recommend the Activation Lotion for the Demi-permanent, whereas you say you are using the developer? Is there any certain reason for this? You find better results? TIA

I'm a little embarrased because its called Activating Lotion and NOT developer (My apologies!!!). :blush:

I call it developer because the paste is white/yellow; it won't change color without it. But yeah same thing. You'll find it at Sally's as Activating Lotion.

-A

StLucianSweetie

Arcadian said:
I'm a little embarrased because its called Activating Lotion and NOT developer (My apologies!!!). :blush:

I call it developer because the paste is white/yellow; it won't change color without it. But yeah same thing. You'll find it at Sally's as Activating Lotion.

-A

:D Cool. Thanx for replying. I just wanted to make sure it was the same thing. Im going to try this product out.