Dependency on a particular product or products - Whatcha gonna do if it goes away?

MonaLisa

Let's call it DBS....the "Discontinued Blues Syndrome"...:(

I was just thinking about it the other day when I was washing my hair....and I feel like I've become very hair dependent upon NTM DDC and White Rain Tropical Coconut during my hair journey.

Especially the White Rain...and over the years...it seems to get harder and harder for me to find on the shelves...when I do find it, I make sure to buy multiple bottles or make runs to find it.

Yes, I use other conditioners per se, but none seem to agree with my hair the way those two in particular have.

I have a gnawing fear sometimes about my WRTC being discontinued...but I pray that it stays on the shelves along with my NTM DDC.

I guess if something did happen, I guess I would turn to the VO5 Tea Therapy and the Pantene Mask more frequently, but it wouldn't be the same...:ohwell:

What'cha gonna turn to....if....your hard core staples.....go away?:(
What'cha gonna do? What'cha gonna do?:confused:

*puts out some Kleenex and eye drops from Walgreens for anyone that gets over emotional at the mere thought....*

HoneyDew

This happened to me with the Loreal Smooth Intense leave in :( I STOCKED up when I found out they were discontinued.

Luckily I found some replacements.

Now I am TOTALLY dependant on Sidr Tree Butter Balm. IF she ever changed the formula or discontinues it I don't know what I would do!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ayoung

I'm dependent on ORS Olive Oil Cream!!!

I really don't know what i'll use if they discontinued it.
NTM Triple Silk is no comparason for my hair.

fingers crossed that doesn't happen anytime soon!

LocksOfLuV

I am dependant on CON shampoo. Totally dependant on it!:ohwell: It's my crack fix. Sometimes I sniff the bottle during the day to make me remember why I love it.

If that was to ever go anywhere then keracare detangling poo here I come.:look: But it won't be the same.

But yes Mona, I think about it all the time. I am confident in CON since they have been around for about 30 years and I don't see them going anywhere. It's the lines like Pantene, Sunsilk, Dove (mainstream drugstore lines) that like to change at the drop of the hat, so I try to avoid making those lines staples.

I notice that a lot of the 'black' lines have longevity like a mugg!:confused:

HoneyDew

LocksOfLuV said:
I am dependant on CON shampoo. Totally dependant on it!:ohwell: It's my crack fix. Sometimes I sniff the bottle during the day to make me remember why I love it.

Dang Locks! Crack Fix? :lol: :lol:

You are right, though. My mom used to wash my hair with CON shampoo when I was little and I am 32 now so it ain't going anywhere!

LocksOfLuV

HoneyDew said:
Dang Locks! Crack Fix? :lol: :lol:

You are right, though. My mom used to wash my hair with CON shampoo when I was little and I am 32 now so it ain't going anywhere!

LOL!:lol: As you can see I love very hard!

Elasta QP Mango Butter. Its already hard to find it in stores. It got discontinued from Walmart. I but this stuff in jars of 15 when I find it. I quench my ends nightly with it. I dread the day, I dread the day I say!

rosalindb

Good question. On another forum someone started a topic that one of their holy grails no longer worked for them and it got me thinking what if Aubrey Organics changed or discontinued their conditioners, especially GBP.

I have been using GBP for over two years and have never felt the need to try another protein conditioner - I only use 100% natural products so I would be even more difficult to find a substitute as the UK does not have as large a selection as the US.

MonaLisa

LocksOfLuV said:

If that was to ever go anywhere then keracare detangling poo here I come.:look: But it won't be the same.

But yes Mona, I think about it all the time. I am confident in CON since they have been around for about 30 years and I don't see them going anywhere. It's the lines like Pantene, Sunsilk, Dove (mainstream drugstore lines) that like to change at the drop of the hat, so I try to avoid making those lines staples.

I notice that a lot of the 'black' lines have longevity like a mugg!:confused:

*wondering if I need to be concerned about the crack fix statement, especially...esp. the sniffing of the bottle....:look:

and you bring up a good point about the "black" lines....wonder why that is....they seem to have a extensive longevity on store shelves...

Like...why the (*&(&^%% is Lusters Pink Lotion still on the shelves?

Is this an example of a black hair herd mentality to keep purchasing products because that's all that some of us are familiar with?

That there's a population of black women don't think products like Phyto, Aveda, etc. are for their hair?:confused:

Again....that was a telling statement on some level...
we about to get sociological up in this mug....:lol:

NuMe2004

Re: Dependency on a particular product or products - Whatcha gonna do if it goes away

I'm dependent on my ORS olive oil moisturizing lotion. It gets my hair straight and keeps my curls tame.

I guess I would have to try some Chi products to straighten my hair with if ORS ever gets discontinued...but I don't even wanna think about it!

senimoni

Lawd have mercy.....don't nobody betta mess wit my CON. I will act a plumb fool. Don't even think such a thing.

Cleve_gryl

I keep hearing these UGLY rumors about the NTM line being discontinued!! If they ever take the Silk Touch off the shelves, I just don't know what I will do :cry2: Its become my staple daily moisturizer and don't even want to find a backup.

SouthernTease

Re: Dependency on a particular product or products - Whatcha gonna do if it goes away

If they discontinued Mane 'N Tail...
I think I would just...
I would just...
I don't know...
Oh... or Jilbere shower comb...
I'd would just die! :lol:

Tee

I was told that the Family Dollar here is suppose to sell WRTC. Well, you know I am always on a hunt for it since I haven't found it here yet. Anyway, they guy said they are discoing it. That is why they did not have it.

You know I already called the 1-800 number! I am going to find a solution to the problem and I really think he meant they are discoing it from the family dollars stores only.

I will call again tomorrow. (and I sent them an email.)

NOW....The product that would break my heart if it wasn't made anymore....My Hair2Heaven End All! I would have to make a special trip and sit in her home and plead my case WHY the product must be made to better the world of black hair care! (with a few tears of course for good measure.) :cry2:

Barbara

Princess
That's why it's good to stock up on your staple products. This will give you enough time to find a replacement. Every time I find something that works for me, these items have been discontinued. So it pays to have a "back-up plan."

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn

HoneyDew said:
I think this "syndrome" is the cause of much of my PJism.

I'm like this too. And it's not just with staples. I once had a staple product be discontinued and then the replacement discontinued a few months after that. I was crushed. Now I try to rotate a couple of products just in case something like that does happen again.

Artemis

HoneyDew said:

I definitely agree with this.

Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus...That time a poster said that it was d/c I was on the verge of tears. Then I promptly emailed Sally's and got the confirmation that it is still on the shelves and the crisis was averted.

*shuddering at the memories of that moment*

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
I would cry and be in total denial if QB ever stopped being around. Its the only thing that makes my hair act right

Lusa

HoneyDew said:

This is me too! I really have the thought at the back of my mind when I need to repurchase my staples, and I almost always buy multiple. I always think "if they're not going to discontinue it first they'll mess with the formula". :eek: And that makes my pulse quicken...

Britt

I'd have to say if Giovanni Direct Leave In ever got discontinued, I'd cry.... I would seriously be disappointed. It's the only leave in I have been using w/o fail for the past year. I bought Salerm 21 and it just doesn't compare to my Giovanni.
Another product I'd hate to be discontinued is my Design Essentials shampoo, I use the moisturizing shampoo all the time. I love it and nothing else compares. I buy it by the big 32 oz. bottle.

LABETT

Elucence poo and conditioner are my holy grails and just the thought of it being discontinued makes my head hurt.
I stock piled a lot of my favorite conditoners for cowashes Suave Milk& Honey and DDTA.

locabouthair

i am very dependant on lacio lacio leave in. i was seriously about to give up on rollersetting b4 i found this product. i dreaded washing my hair every week because it would always come out dull and frizzy. with the lacio lacio i get smooth hair every time. i notice that the texture of it is similar to NTM and NTM is good at smoothing the hair also so I guess I could use that as a replacement but let's hope it doesnt come down to that:lol:

Mestiza

I'm going to cry like a baby if the White Rain Tropical Coconut Conditioner is discontinued.
Then, I'm gonna have my hubby, Prince, to call Will and Jada so that they can go to your house and talk you into giving his wife, Mestiza, all of yours. :lol:

MonaLisa

Mestiza said:
I'm going to cry like a baby if the White Rain Tropical Coconut Conditioner is discontinued.
Then, I'm gonna have my hubby, Prince, to call Will and Jada so that they can go to your house and talk you into giving his wife, Mestiza, all of yours. :lol:

1) I agree with you regarding the WRTC - I would have a fit!

2) I like you & I want you to seek the help that you need.....soon...:lol: :lol: