Detangle before washing???

Lindy

Does anyone comb through their hair to detangle it before washing??

I noticed that when I've been wearing my hair either curly or in a twist-out (so that it hasn't been properly combed in 2 or more days) when I wash it, that's when I see little clumps of hair come out, either while in the process of washing, or while detangling it afterwards.

I imagine this hair is the normal shed hair that just hasn't been combed out.

My question is, do you think it would be better to comb this hair out before getting it wet, so that it won't clump up & tangle around the other hair and potentially cause breakage while detangling???
confused.gif

Hey Lindy.

I know what you are talking about. When I take my braids out, the hair has some build up on it. Before, I didn't pre-comb, and I would get some shedding. However, now, I use a detangling spray on the sections, I saturate it really good, then with my fingers, I begin to loosen and work the sections apart. After that, I will get a large tooth comb, and starting at the ends, I start to comb the hair until it's all combed out smooth. Then, I will shampoo. It may take a little time to comb through the sections to loosen them, but be patient and gentle...don't tear it or be to rough with it.

HTH
smile.gif

When I first started transitioning and wearing braidouts, I'd detangle before washing but now it seems more trouble than it's worth. So, I just let the showerhead help me detangle along with my fingers. Then, I proceed to co washing or shampoo washing. I always then detangle completely with my hair drenched in conditioner and again as I'm rinsing it out. I think I lose the same amount of hair either way.

I think detangling before washing and washing in sections will save you a lot of detangling time but, as hairlove mentioned, if your hair responds best to water/conditioner detangling then save it for the water.

Cybra, Thanks!!! That sounds like a really good idea, & I think I'm going to do that!!

Hairlove, I wash my hair in the sink with my head down, so the water doesn't seem to help me much with detangling. I also don't comb the conditioner through, so I think I'd be better off doing what Cybra suggested, but thanks!
wink.gif

I hate seeing those clumps!! Scary!!
look.gif

A hairdresser actually gave me a very good tip on this one. If you wash bent over in the sink just keep you head in the same direction throughout the process and you won't have tangles. When conditioner smooth it on in the same direction from nape to hairline and keept hair on top of head when under the heat cap/dryer. In other words don't hop in the shower for the final rinse because you create tangles that way. Then (and this is the best part) when rollersetting keep the hair in the same position and start rollersetting from the nape. Works like a charm for me, an d I normally have lots of tangling issues. I hope I explained this properly.

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Lindy,

How come you wash over the sink? Washing in the shower eliminates a LOT of tangles!

[/ QUOTE ]
It sure does.

Hairlove,
I've done both and I just like doing it in the sink better. First of all, I feel like I can get my hair cleaner when doing it in the sink. Also, I go through a lot of different steps (hot oil, ACV rinses, protein, regular conditioner) most of the time when I wash, so it's just more convenient not to have to get in & out of the shower to do all that!!!
smile.gif
In the summer when I wash my hair more often, I'll do it in the shower sometimes. To be honest, it doesn't make a tremendous difference to me (tangles-wise) whether I do it in the sink or the shower.

CBG, I was following you up until the part about rollersetting from the nape up to the hairline. Does that mean you would detangle your hair from the bottom up, and leave it that way???!!! I don't think that would work for me!!!
nono.gif

I'm a sink washer too!
weird.gif
I have better results when I comb before hitting the sink.
smile.gif
Also, when you wear your hair curly, I doubt you are combing more, so I say before washing, wet your hair and some and comb the curls out. This will get rid of the hair that's been shedded into your curls, so you'll reduce tangling.
smile.gif

I've started washing my hair in the sink a year ago since I only use distilled water(exclusively). I'm afraid to use tap water...at least until I can move and get a water conditioning system. I think your shedding is just normal shedding from not combing though for several days. I have noticed though when I rinse or shampoo every other day I have less shedding. I only comb out after I do a deep conditioning...before I rinse.

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
Thanks Sweetcocoa!! Haven't seen ya here in a while!! Welcome back to the board!!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
wave.gif

[ QUOTE ]
sweetcocoa said:
I've started washing my hair in the sink a year ago since I only use distilled water(exclusively). I'm afraid to use tap water...at least until I can move and get a water conditioning system. I think your shedding is just normal shedding from not combing though for several days. I have noticed though when I rinse or shampoo every other day I have less shedding. I only comb out after I do a deep conditioning...before I rinse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweetcocoa, how much water do you usually go through?

Back