Detangling relaxed hair... Kinda long.

Iluvsmuhgrass

Detangling relaxed hair... tips

I found a nifty tip on here about detangling and I decided to share. I tweaked it a little bit for my hair. I haven't taken pics but next wash cycle I will try.

I don't know if you guys are like me but I would wash and deep condition my hair and abhor detangling. I tried the Wanakee method (dividing hair into 8 sections and comb through each one individually, dry it on the coolest setting, and put it back up). It works but it just seemed time consuming. I tried detangling with a wide tooth comb and with a plastic k-cutter type comb. I tried detangling in the shower (oh my flarkin goodness can we say NO!!!!!) but this has been one that's worked for me. I hope it'll work for others. I do this every wash cycle (about once every 1-2 weeks).

1. First I put conditioner on my hair. Not enough to drench it but just enough to soften. Next I part my hair into 8 sections (part down the middle (you now have 2 sections). Pin one side up. Divide the front and the back of the half section (you now have 4 sections). Pin one section up. Divide those sections by half (you have 8 sections). Pin one section up. This way you can work without having the sections crossing.

2. Next I take each section separately, come through with a wide tooth comb. I comb out shedded hairs gently. I add a little more conditioner and then I plait the section securing with rubber bands. (Don't wince! I'm talking about the small black ones that go on the ends of our braids or twists. Don't make them too tight because they'll be hard to get off later. Don't make them too loose because they will come out during the wash.) I do this for all of the sections.

3. I hop into the shower and apply shampoo (your fave is good... I use what's on hand Nexxus, sunsilk, suave) to all of the hair. I make sure to concentrate on gently scrubbing my scalp. The sectioned hair makes it easy to get to all of those hard to reach places. :) Rinse well. (Lifting the plaits in the back helps to get all of the poo out.)

4. Gently squeeze dry. Apply conditioner being sure to saturate the plaits and any dry areas on your scalp. (Here's where I blend my conditioners with oils. A few times I've been able to find some that gives my hair exactly what it needs but it responds well to mixes. I usually blend two or three conditioners (LeKair cholesterol mostly, NTM, suave coconut) and oils (evoo, amla, and coconut) with a dollop of honey. My hair loves this mix. I have fine hair but it needs oil. Use what works for your hair. :) ) I put it on with a plastic cap and go on about my business.

5. Rinse well and get out of the shower.

6. Next I squeeze the plaits dry then gently take down one section at a time. (I add a leave in. I like Ms.Key 10 en 1 plus rinse and amla oil) then I comb through. GENTLY! I do this section by section until I get one half of my head down. (I add castor oil to my edges and ends. My hair is still wet at this time.) I take the half, put it into a pony tail and proceed to do the same to the other side.

That's it. After I'm done putting it into pony tails I let it air dry. By doing this I've noticed alot less breakage, shedding, and tangles. I'd imagine you could style as you pleased after detangling. You really don't have to use the same products that I do.

Hope this helps. :look: lol Hell I just hope it made sense! :lachen:

Last edited:
This method is very similar to the Crown & Glory method. I have always experienced problems with tangles and I have tried washing in plats in the past and it worked well. Next time I will try your method. Thanks for the tips.:)

the crown and glory method is the first thing that popped in my mind too, as i read your thread. carolyn gray has a similar wash regimen in her book as well.

i like your detangling method (the rubberband portion freaks me out a little though). my last trip to the salon was a bad experience especially because of the detangling. thanks for sharing. ;)

Sounds good I will use this on my SIX MONTH post hair. I would use a kiddie barrett instead of a rubberband. This should be less damaging. Or one of those clippie thingies

images

images

trimbride said:
Sounds good I will use this on my SIX MONTH post hair. I would use a kiddie barrett instead of a rubberband. This should be less damaging. Or one of those clippie thingies

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:XHKAP_3MZudEZM:http://www.blueberryforest.com/images/Images_haba/haba_mia_hair_clips_6728_586.jpg

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:Ege4PUG02bwxMM:http://www.craft-stop.com/images/barrette1.JPG

This is what I do. Pre-pooing, braids, the kiddie barrettes, these are all essentials to my wash routine. Tangles are the enemy!

Back