Need detangling advice

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Hi Ladies!! :wave:

There is one part on my regemin that I haven't mastered...detangling.

I don't know what I do wrong but I always have a massave amount of hairs in my comb after detangling.

When I detangle, I first do it under water with my shower comb under running water. After I get out of the shower I apply all of my leave ins and oils and do yet another detangle with my purple wide tooth comb so I can get my hair back into a neat ponytail.

I only lose about 5 hair while in the shower but as I detangle my hair for the second time, everytime I comb through I get more hairs.

My questions are...

1)What type of comb do you use for detangling your hair?

2)How much hair do you lose when you detangle?

3)Do you detangle in sections or do you detangle section by section?

4)Do you have any advice that would prevent me from loosing too much hair?

Thanks in advance for your help

-DSD

AudraChanell

I use CON and Salerm Wheat Germ so my hair always has lots of slip. I detangle similar to you, first under running water then after leave-ins, moisturize and oil.

If I shampooed in the shower my hair is all back--no sections--and I use my paddle brush from the ends up then finish with a few hairline to end strokes with my wide tooth comb.

If I shampooed in the sink, my hair is all to the front and I detangle the same way, using paddle then wide tooth and roller set from back to front.

I never loose a lot of hair.

ALICIALYNN

Use A Good Leave In To Do The Detangling. I Use The Pantene Pro V (for Black Women) Oil Moisturizer And It Makes My Hair So Easy To Comb Through After I Wash It. It Also Makes It Soft. Its Natural To Shed Some When Washing Your Hair...but When It Comes Out In Clumps....thats A No No. But Isoplus Has A Good Detangling Conditioner. Also Brushing Wet Hair Puts Alot Of Stress On It...so So Just Use A Wide Tooth Comb.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Excellent response ladies. Thank you!!

I remember I did use to apply some sort of detangler to my hair before combing out. Somehow that step got ommited. I got sort of rusty because I wore my hair in braids for almost 6 months straight.

Anymore advice would be appreciated.

Allandra

Pantene Detangle Light Spray Conditioner does a great job at detangling my hair. I always keep this product on hand.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Allandra, I may have to check that one out!! Thanks!!

Back in the day I used to use Wanakee detangling spray. It worked well but it was sort of expensive.

Do you detangle in sections Allandra?

Allandra

dontspeakdefeat said:
Allandra, I may have to check that one out!! Thanks!!

Back in the day I used to use Wanakee detangling spray. It worked well but it was sort of expensive.

Do you detangle in sections Allandra?
I part my hair from front to back and detangle in two sections. I just make sure I take my time. Give the Pantene stuff a try if you can. I purchased mine for $3.64 at Wal-Mart.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Allandra said:
I part my hair from front to back and detangle in two sections. I just make sure I take my time. Give the Pantene stuff a try if you can. I purchased mine for $3.64 at Wal-Mart.

Thanks, I am there. I will be using this on my next wash.

Tracy

Just an idea DSD....

I rarely have trouble detangling. Whenever I do, it's because I've applied too many products to my wet hair after my wash and conditioning routine. I apply no more than 2 products TOPS, if I'm not going to wear my hair curly - and when I do the consistency breakdown is always one cream, one liquid - so that I avoid weighing my hair down or creating resistance by adding too much product. It always notice the difference when I rollerset and apply too much product, because I get tangles galore. Personally I think creams plus oils plus liquids plus whatever else people add for the benefit of their hair, equals TANGLES in a LOT of cases. :)

That's just my opinion, of course, and if what you're using is working, certainly don't change it, but whenever I hear about someone whose hair detangles fine under the stream of water with conditioner in it, but all of sudden gets tangly once they get out, I think product overload.

HTH! :)

A_Christian

-I use the super detangle rake comb # 222 (A seamless bone comb) from hairsense.com.

-I barely lose any hair after a wash when detanling with this comb - 2 or 3 shed strands at the most

-I detangle my hair in sections starting from the ends and working my way up to the roots

-I always leave some of the Keracare Humecto conditioner in my hair instead of rinsing all of it out. This helps a lot with detangling after conditioning. I'm sure this method would work with any really good detangling conditioner. :)

SVT

I detangle in sections with lots of conditioner and some coconut oil slathered on. I have a shower comb but I much rather prefer using my wide tooth comb.

Last edited:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Tracy said:
Just an idea DSD....

I rarely have trouble detangling. Whenever I do, it's because I've applied too many products to my wet hair after my wash and conditioning routine. I apply no more than 2 products TOPS, if I'm not going to wear my hair curly - and when I do the consistency breakdown is always one cream, one liquid - so that I avoid weighing my hair down or creating resistance by adding too much product. It always notice the difference when I rollerset and apply too much product, because I get tangles galore. Personally I think creams plus oils plus liquids plus whatever else people add for the benefit of their hair, equals TANGLES in a LOT of cases. :)

That's just my opinion, of course, and if what you're using is working, certainly don't change it, but whenever I hear about someone whose hair detangles fine under the stream of water with conditioner in it, but all of sudden gets tangly once they get out, I think product overload.

HTH! :)

Thanks!!

I never thought about that. I usually apply a little leave in then the scurl and then my oil. I will try to minimize next time to see if that works.

You better believe I am going to get to the bottom of this!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
A_Christian said:
-I use the super detangle rake comb # 222 (A seamless bone comb) from hairsense.com.

-I barely lose any hair after a wash when detanling with this comb - 2 or 3 shed strands at the most

-I detangle my hair in sections starting from the ends and working my way up to the roots

-I always leave some of the Keracare Humecto conditioner in my hair instead of rinsing all of it out. This helps a lot with detangling after conditioning. I'm sure this method would work with any really good detangling conditioner. :)

I think I need to go look at some of the combs they offer. My comb in not seamless. This may be part of my problem too!

Tracy

Also DSD, I use a wide tooth like everyone else, but mine also has LONG teeth so that it can easily slide through all of my hair...it's not bone - I find those don't work well on my wet hair - but it does a fantastic job detangling.

I think some ladies use something called a K-cutter, that's similar to what I use. Mine is just plastic is all.... :)

I just bought that Mane n Tail detangler because of the raves here. If I notice a wonderful difference, I'll let you know. ;)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I would have to agree with Tracy as well from experience. I tried putting a lot of product on my hair, leave-ins, oils, moisturizers, and glossing polish and that was too much for my hair. Now, after I wash my hair, I just spray my Motions Nourish leave-in all over my hair to detangle and use Salerm21 on each section of my hair before I rollerset. I use a Jilbere Shower comb in the shower and my K-Cutter comb when I detangle with Motions. HTH!!!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Tracy said:
Also DSD, I use a wide tooth like everyone else, but mine also has LONG teeth so that it can easily slide through all of my hair...it's not bone - I find those don't work well on my wet hair - but it does a fantastic job detangling.

I think some ladies use something called a K-cutter, that's similar to what I use. Mine is just plastic is all.... :)

I just bought that Mane n Tail detangler because of the raves here. If I notice a wonderful difference, I'll let you know. ;)

Thanks Tracy!! I am on the hunt for another comb. Mine is too fat. It was fine when my hair was shorter but I need to get these tangles out.

Let me know about the MNT detangler. Immo try the pantene first since it is only 3 bucks!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Poohbear said:
I would have to agree with Tracy as well from experience. I tried putting a lot of product on my hair, leave-ins, oils, moisturizers, and glossing polish and that was too much for my hair. Now, after I wash my hair, I just spray my Motions Nourish leave-in all over my hair to detangle and use Salerm21 on each section of my hair before I rollerset. I use a Jilbere Shower comb in the shower and my K-Cutter comb when I detangle with Motions. HTH!!!!

Thanks Poohbear!!

I think on the next wash I will detangle first with the pantene and then after my hair is detangled add my other stuff that way I only have to comb through once more to distribute. I have to have my s-curl and oils.

MomofThreeBoys

Have you tried the tangle tamer? Oh my goodness....It is unbelievable at detangling!:yep: I've tried detangling in the shower with water running, using my conair shower comb. I still lost a lot of hairs. The tangle tamer is a life saver!:woot:

SouthernGirl

Hey DSD,

My hair-loss-during-detangling woes are over. I'm still using MNT, but I'll either use the detangler after using the shampoo, or I'll use a little CON and it does the "slip" trick.

I never comb in the shower. I wait about 5 mins after stepping out, then remove the towel and detangle one side at a time. I usually do 4 sections and I'm fine. I don't lose much hair at all this way. I don't add my leave-in/oil until the hair is about 80% dry, and I lose less hair. I got this idea from someone on the board recently, but the name escapes me :(

Also, thanks to Allandra and others, I use the Jilbere shower comb, which has made a significant improvement. I realized I was getting a little breakage from having a comb w/jagged edges.

HTH,
SG

Allandra

SouthernGirl said:
Also, thanks to Allandra and others, I use the Jilbere shower comb, which has made a significant improvement. I realized I was getting a little breakage from having a comb w/jagged edges.
I'm glad it worked out for you. I love my Jilbere shower comb.

sylver2

I detangle while in the shower under running water. I put on a whole lot of my NTM conditioner. I use that huge wide tooth black shower comb first. I comb while I'm under running water. Then I add more conditioner and use my regular wide tooth comb. No breakage, just the normal shedding from not combing my hair for a whole week. Rinse and get out. Hair is detangled and ready for styling/drying.