Naturals who straighten your hair. Lets Share our regiments

Keep1Belle

Hi All:

I have been natural for 2 years, this is my second time around. and I actually cheated back in may 08 and got my roots texturized, the ends were texturized thru heat. So I guess Im transitioning again.

Anyway all summer I wear my hair curly in pony puffs but now that Fall is upon us I will be wearing my hair straight again. Lets post our regiments, products and tools used. maintenance of styles, etc

I have type 3b/3c barely shoulder length hair

I wash and flat Iron my hair once a week.

The night before I wash I treat my scalp with natural oasis scalp oil and I moisturize my hair with coconut oil.

I wash my hair with Mera natural's shampoo with dry hair. This poo has no SLS. I wet/lather/rinse once. I also pay attebntion to scalp with a thorough scalp massage.

Then I follow with cheapie conditioner and rinse.

Next I take a wide tooth comb and apply Redken's Smooth Down Butter treat to my hair in sections and comb/detangle. I leave this in for about 15 minutes and go about my shower/shave routine.

Finally I give it a quick rinse. They say for dry hair you can leave it in if needed. So I just let the shower water gently rinse it out. If some is still left thats ok

When I get out. I gently pat with paper towels. I part in sections (about 6 to 8) and apply Redkens' Smooth Down Detangling cream and mist each section with Silk Elements Mega Silk Heat Protection Spray.

Then I blow dry on medium setting section by section.

After doing each section i start at the beginning and mix a very little bit of coconut oil with 1 or 2 squirts of Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide. And blow dry on high setting this gets my hair straight and I only have to blow/comb each section once or twice.

After doing each section i lightly mist again Silk Elements megaSilk Heat Glide.

then I go section by section and flat Iron with my Amica 1" flat iron. I take each large section and part it about 4 times before i am on to the next section.

This process takes me about 1.5 hours. To maintain my style, each night I section hair (6 to 8) If my ends start to look dry, usually by the 4th or 5th day I with moisturize ends with Jane Carters Nourish and shine. Then I just pin curl large section and tie with satin scarf. In the morning I finger style and go about my business.

So whats your regimnent? Any tips to improve mine

PreciousPearl

Bumping as well. I want to know what other's are doing as well. My DD is natural and likes to wear her hair straight. Her hair is very thick and hard to keep moisturized without it reverting.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

I'll try and make this quick...i'm at work..he hee, on lunch break (so there!)

I'm transitioning, my hair is BSL and it's about 1/3 natural....Jan 08 was last relaxer....

I prepoo with shea butter, coconut and amla oil before applying henna mixed with amla, brahmi, maka powders...apply to hair for about 1 hour, then rinse with Tresemme Moisture Con....(i henna weekly unless i'm applying a caramel treatment, which i try to do monthly...this has been my regimen for the past 3 months...)

I section hair into 6 twists....apply coconut oil lightly and dc with a mix of Maka Powder and Elasta QP DRP11, for 30 min w cap....

Next, I rinse and detangle in shower without using a comb.... re-section hair in 6 to 8 twists, let air dry, (or blowdry to eliminate wetness if in a hurry)....

At Night, I tie-down with satinscarf...

The next day, I'll apply Tresemme heat protectant (looking for a new heat protectant, this one made my hair too stiff) go to Dominican Salon and get a flatiron only...they apply NO product...they tell me i have too much "gris" on my hair, but i don't care, i'm not walking in there with naked hair....they love working with totally clean, oil-free hair, with only a teeny tiny bit of product....my hair does turn out light with alot of body, but i'm concerned about damage, so i keep using my oils...

To maintain, i'll either wrap or pincurl my hair...this lasts about two weeks, but because i co-wash weekly, i'm adhering to my regimen, so i wash all my straightness away....i've come along way, because back in the day, i'd never do this...ever!

there's my regimen...

this weekend i rollerset (using Salerm 21) and used my maxiglide, but it pulled out too much hair! It is so bulky...it looked pretty good at first, but man, it swoll up immediately. I didn't mind that it wasn't so straight - I had the setting on 5 and it was hot, but maybe my heat protectant wasn't soo good, so i'll try Silk Elements...Redken is a little $$$...but we'll see....

ImFree27

I'm just starting to straighten my hair often:
My regimen will be:
Wash
DC - Aubrey Organics protein conditoner or some form of protein, eggs, milk, yourgt, avocado, and then do a DCconditioner prob. Eluecence Moisture balancew/ warm oils and the follwing week I will DC with Kenra Moisturizing conditioner
rollerset - giovanii direct leave in, tresemme heat protectant, blue magic pressing oil
flatiron conair flat iron/curl with conair cermaic curling iron/pincurl at night
I will straighten every two weeks, but wash my hair weekly, So I will straighten for a week and then roller set the next week and then straighten the next week.

Eclass215

Well I'm still kinda new to this forum and all the regimines that have been suggested - so I'll tell you what I've done pre-LHCF, and what I plan to do now.

PRE-LHCF
-Shampoo with Pantene moisture renewal
-DC with Pantene relaxed and natural breakage defense deep conditioning mask OR Organic Root Stimulator olive Oil Replenishing Pak
- Before blow drying, add Biosilk Silk Therapy
- Blow dry hair in 8 sections
- Add more bioslik
- Flat iron hair with Chi Iron. Go over hair once to straighten and once more to curl. May have to do three times, but never more than that.
- Pin curl hair at night and sleep with satin scarf.
- Keep hair straight for as long as I can, but never more than 10-14 days; repeat. Use biosilk daily.

POST-LHCF
- Haven't quite found a good clarifying shampoo, so I may just co-wash with my current conditioner and DC with my Organic Root stimulator pak
- Before blow drying, use Giovanni's direct leave in conditioner.
- Blow dry hair in 8 sections.
- Apply biosilk
- Flat iron hair with Chi iron
- Re-apply biosilk.
- Pin curl at night and wrap with satin scarf.
- Wear straight for one week, and probably in a ponytail the next week - alternate pressing weeks.

Oh - and I'm using Megatek right now but once I start pressing, I will only use it on wash day and when I wear it natural.

HTH!

SoCalli

-A night or two before I straighten my hair I co-wash with AO HSR or AO GBP

Wash day
-Put AO HSR or AO GBP on dry hair, comb thru, put in four sections, and let sit for 30 minutes or longer
-Wash hair with Oscar Blandi (OB) Alla Crema Shampoo
-Deep condition with heat using OB Alla Crema Conditioner topped with AO HSR or AO GBP
-Rinse in shower and detangle again
-Towel dry hair
-Put H2 Ion on hair and let sit for 10 minutes then apply CHI silk infusion on top
-Blow dry
-Flatiron
-Wrap hair

Well I'm still kinda new to this forum and all the regimines that have been suggested - so I'll tell you what I've done pre-LHCF, and what I plan to do now.

PRE-LHCF
-DC with Pantene relaxed and natural breakage defense deep conditioning mask OR Organic Root Stimulator olive Oil Replenishing Pak
- Add more bioslik
- Flat iron hair with Chi Iron. Go over hair once to straighten and once more to curl. May have to do three times, but never more than that.
- Keep hair straight for as long as I can, but never more than 10-14 days; repeat. Use biosilk daily.

POST-LHCF
- Haven't quite found a good clarifying shampoo, so I may just co-wash with my current conditioner and DC with my Organic Root stimulator pak
- Apply biosilk
- Re-apply biosilk.
- Wear straight for one week, and probably in a ponytail the next week - alternate pressing weeks.

Oh - and I'm using Megatek right now but once I start pressing, I will only use it on wash day and when I wear it natural.

HTH!

Best Clarifier IMO: 1 tablespoon baking soda and 2 cups water, pour over hair rub in and let it sit for at least a minute. Rinse out then follow up w/ deep conditioner. Your hair will feel so clean yet "unstripped", got this technique from motowngirl.com.

shawny86

I just stated using mega tek and was wondering if we could use it and go straight at the same time...its probably not the best idea right?!?!

PRE-LHCF
- Add more bioslik

POST-LHCF
- Apply biosilk
- Re-apply biosilk.

HTH!

Qetesh

I am planning to have my hair straight for most of the fall and winter. My regimen when straightening is:

Shampoo the same as link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FttmjhkRnMQ
I use Giovanni 50/50 no sulfates. (since I usually leave in my condish I like to clarify gently.)

After I would deep condish with salerm wheat germ 20-30 minutes under dryer. Then rinse with cold water and rinse completely.

Go to Dominican salon. There is one on the end of my block the woman does a good job and its only 25.00 for a wash and set. I usually just tell them not to worry about washing my hair so she usually just wets it and puts some Dominican condish in… rollersets it and I am under the drier for 45 mins… I like to deep condish my hair first that way I know going into it my hair is at peak health it helps.

After the dryer the stylist takes out the rollers and blow-out with the blow dryer this is quite a bit of stress on my hair. The stylist is good tho.. she doesn’t go over it to the point where I think my head is gonna burn off. And she uses a heat protectant. I usually have her wrap it up after …

I wear my hair straight for 4-6 weeks as long as I can take it. I pin curl at night in about 5-7 pin curls. I put some long term relation leave in on my ends. And finger comb and go in the morning. I allow myself to buff up my roots with my Sedu flat iron once a week I use Paul Mitchell super skinny serum as a protectant (2wice if it’s a special occasion). I really try to limit heat but if I work out or something during the 4-6 weeks I want to keep the sleekness. I also give myself peppermint grapeseed oil scalp massages to help keep the itches away somehow the tingling from the mint kinda helps me.

After the 4-6 week straight I wait 1-3 weeks before repeating the process again (depending if I feel I need protein or not)

I am getting it straightened to start out the fall season on Oct 2nd

Hope this helps

LoveLiLi

I am finally done transitioning and I recently started straightening my hair. I went about a year and a half or more without applying heat to my hair and when I finally straightened it I had split ends galore! I had a few inches cut off two or three weeks ago and I'm just now getting a solid regimen together. I'll be wearing my hair straight most of the time now to avoid split ends (I wear a bun daily).

I was scared to straighten my hair at first. I didn't want to damage my curl pattern or stunt my growth, but I've reached bra strap easily in the past with a relaxer and using heat weekly, so I think my natural hair will be fine.

Regimen
  • Oil scalp/hair with Amla oil (amla gold or amla light. The original stinks to high heaven). I use this to keep the shampoo from matting and tangling my hair.
  • Wash with SLS-Free shampoo.
  • Deep condition with Kenra or AO HSR/GPB (detangle in shower). Sit under hooded dryer for at least 30 minutes.
  • Rinse conditioner out and apply a small amount of Kenra as a leave-in. I detangle again at this point, but there aren't many tangles.
  • Apply Ovation Cell Therapy to wet scalp and apply Sabino Moisture Block to damp hair. (I apply a quarter size amt to four sections).
  • Put hair in two buns or four plaits and let air-dry over night.
  • Blowdry hair if there are any damp sections, but for no longer than 2-3 minutes - I don't want my hair to be dry and brittle.
  • Part hair in four sections and apply ~ a quarter size amount of Sabino Moisture Block to each section before flat ironing w/FHI. I flat iron on 400 since I use SMB.
  • Apply a very small amount of SMB or Aveda anti-humectant pomade to edges. At this point my hair is silky straight and it stays that way until I shampoo it a week later. I'm sure it could last longer, but I need to wash my hair/scalp.
  • During the week I apply Gro-aut to my scalp and massage for 10 min. (I also massage my scalp after applying the OCT). I can't use the OCT during the week because my roots will revert.
  • I apply any random moisturizer or oil to my ends during the week.

kadej

Great info - I'm trying to learn how to straighten my hair well enough to wear it down because I'm so tired of wasting my Saturdays at salons and feeling like my hair has been pressed way too hard (evidenced my my straight ends and sometimes limp tresses). Please keep the regimens coming! =)

Ms_Twana

Two words:

Aveda Salon :yep:

Does a black person straighten your hair?? I'm thinking about trying the Dillard's salon by my house.It's an Aveda salon, and it has a black stylist. I tried another Aveda salon and they didn't have anyone that could do natural black hair. :nono: :ohwell:

empressri

For the one time a year I straighten to press it, I do the following:

Clarify and then deep condition with my choice of deep treatment (usually redken all soft heavy cream for straightening). I usually clarify with suave naturals clarifying shampoo then I'll use a moisturizing shampoo.

After deep treating for an hour under a heating cap, I rinse. After rinsing, I add redken extreme anti-snap leave in and smooth down heat glide. Detangle, and put my hair in four pigtails. Usually I'll go to sleep like this and in the morning take each pigtail out, blow it lightly NO BRUSH or comb attachment, just aim the nozzle at my hair. Then when it's dry, I'll flat iron. I do each section this way.

I did buy a solia, but I'm still experimenting. I used the old school iron you put on the stove but that ish can burn your curls out so I stopped that.

~VicTorIAn~

Pre treat overnight w/ EVCO, JBCO, EVOO & Organix tea tree conditioner
Spray scalp w/ ACV and let sit for about 2 mins
Wash w/ smoothing shampoo
Aphogee 2 min (for 5 mins) w/ heat
DC w/ Moisturizing DC (DIY-STEAM TRTMNT right now Burt Bees Shea and Grapefruit)
Leave-In Cond: Chi Keratin Mist
Blow dry in 8 sections using tension blowdry method (pinkskates)
Heat protectant (aveda)
Chi Silk Infusion
Flat iron in small sections

phyl73

Let's see. I try not to straighten very often but here is my regi:

Daily ,(morning and evening) ,I spray my scalp and hair with carefree curl and I've recently started using hawaiian 14-1. I've only tried it twice and think I will wait until my weave is out to use iot daily.

I then apply my mixture of MegaTek and Ovation to my scalp using a color applicator I found at Walmart. I try to do this in the morning and before I go to sleep. It is a mixture of half a bottle of each.

I gel down the front of my hair that is left out of the weave with Fantasia and tie it down. I co-wash with pantene relaxed and natural hair mask at least 3times a week.

When I take my weave down, I apply a thick coating of pantene hair mask and cover that with coconut oil. I then cover it with a plastic cap, tie it down, and co-wash in the morning. I then apply my Megatek/Ovation mixture, carefree curl, and gel it down. I then go to the Dominicans for a blow out.

If I think they are being too rough with my hair, I make them let me comb it out.

That's it!

i wash my hair with c.d. tui shampoo. deep condition with the tui smoothie under dryer or heat cap for an hour rinse out then apply leave in. let it air dry a bit then apply my healthy hair butter put into 4 braids and let dry then flat iron using silk elements heat protectant.

unlvgirl

My Crown and Glory
My regimen is very simple. I have been natural ten years and I've alwayas straigthened my hair. I usually press it once a month. I wash with cream of nature regular shampoo. I then deep condition with queen helene cholsestrol condition under as shower cap for about 30-45 munited. I then apply a leave in detangler, I usuallu use just for me(its my daughter's but it gets the job done.

Then I apply soft and free carrot oil creme then I blow dry. After that I apply Chi silk infusion and I also apply isoplus pressing oil through out my hair then I flat iron. The wholw process takes me about 2 to 2 and a half hours.

After it is straight I apply Africa's Best Herbal oil lightly. I reapply the oil every other day. To keep it straight I put it in four large pin curls and tie on a scarf. I have to wash earlier than usual do to snow! I live in Vegas and we had a snow storm! Needless to say I was not prepared and my hair is a mess. I dred wash days because it is so time consuming but I don't trust any one else to do it for me.

NOEChic

I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong.
-pre-poo with my oils
-then i shampoo with tressemme
-condition w/ tressemme or doo grow, or lekair mayonnaise
-rinse, and then spray with tressemme heat protectant
-use pinkskates tension method and blow dry my hair
-add barry fletcher liquid moisture to the sections
-flat iron
-wrap

Barbara

Princess
Several of you have asked for my regimen even though it’s very similar to the one listed in my hair care products website. Anyway, here it goes . . .

My regimen is simple--in my opinion. I follow the regimen that’s featured in the www.hairoil.com website, except I don’t get my hair washed every week nor do I oil my hair every day. Salon visits are twice a month. I have type 4a/b hair.

My stylist washes my hair twice with the Beneficial Phase Shampoo.

Deep condition with the Advance Conditioning Treatment by saturating my hair then pins it up. He puts on a plastic conditioning cap then he puts me under the dryer for at least 30 minutes or longer if he’s working on other customers’ hair.

He rinses out the conditioner, and he saturates my hair with the detangler; but after 10 years, he recommended another detangler that works better on my type 4a/b hair--Infusium 23 (original formula aka Repairology now). This is definitely a permanent staple. It has more slip than the Verifen Complex detangler, plus it costs a lot less and does the job. After he puts in Infusium 23, he pours oil in his hand and rubs it on my hair.

He parts the hair in four sections and pins up three. Then he rubs Constant Care for Ends throughout my hair. He gradually detangles one section at a time while blow drying it. Then he takes down another section and repeats the process.

He puts me under the dryer to dry my scalp which normally takes no more than five minutes. Hairline Essential Crème is applied to my edges.

He presses my hair gently. (I get my hair done the old fashion way, but it works.) Then he hot curls my hair by making the curls small and tight to keep them in longer. After pressing, he combs out the front and side curls gently, but he really doesn’t touch the curls in the back, just a little, because they will fall out eventually. The curls don’t stay in longer than 1-1/2 hours because of the weight of my hair. He sprays his own rosemary oil and that’s it.

I don’t oil my hair daily; just once a week thoroughly by parting it in sections. I wear my hair in protective styles 95 percent of the time, because I’m lazy with my hair. I put pomade and hair oil on my ends about twice a week. I put a satin wrap around my edges then I place a satin bonnet over my head, and that’s how I sleep. I don’t brush my hair. I use a K-cutter. I wear my hair in a protective bun, and that’s it.

My stylist doesn’t believe in trimming my hair often. He normally does it about once every 1-1/2 years. He says: “If I trim it regularly, I will be cutting away the new growth.” Well, I don’t debate with him, because his other customers have longer hair than mine--so he must be doing something right.

Secondary Products

I have secondary products which my stylist recommended four years ago. They are effective and inexpensive, and I rotate them with my Verifen Complex products.

Shampoo: Cream of Nature (ultra moisturizing/detangling formula). I buy the liter size for $5.99 whenever Sally has a sale—which is every other month in Los Angeles.

Conditioner: Motions Moisture Plus with extra virgin olive oil

Detangler: Infusium 23

Protein Conditioner: Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor works fine alone, but Motions CPR will not be a keeper. It has to be mixed with Motions Moisture Plus; otherwise, my hair will be too hard. I’m not going to buy this one anymore.

I found some pomades and oil blends that cost a lot less than my Verifen Complex pomades and hair oil such as: WonderGro Shea Butter, Africa’s Best Super Gro pomade, TCB Naturals, and Hairobics Hair and Scalp Booster. Dr. Bronner’s Peppermint Hemp shampoo is another staple.

Oil Blends: Wonder 8 (which I haven’t used yet); African Royal Hot 6, Africa’s Best Herbal Oil Complex, and Hairobics Hair oil and Detangler Oil.

Additional conditioners are as follows: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose and their GPB, plus Le Kair Cholesterol Plus--these are definitely keepers on my list. EVOO is added to all of my conditioners except the Advance Conditioning Treatment. I have other conditioners and shampoos that I would like to test later, but I believe in using my secondary products up first before they go bad.