Detangling when transitioning or stretching.....how???

jh1581

Hi Ladies,

I'm currently 8 weeks post and my goal is to transition to 100% natural hair without bc'ing or wearing wigs, sew-ins, etc. I'm at the point when detangling after washing or co-washing is becoming REALLLLY tough. I wash once per week (thursday) with elasta qp creme conditioning wash and co wash once per week (monday). I've also been really trying to deep condition often for the overall health of my hair. Here are some things I've tried:

-applied Aubrey Organics honeysuckle rose last night, rinsed out this morning, co-washed with Trader Joe's Nourishing spa conditioner. Attempted to detangle with fingers and wide toothed comb. Applied Miracle in 10 leave-in. Still no slip.

-last week, washed with elasta qp creme conditioner, applied ORS replenishing conditioner mixed with olive oil, silk amino acids and honeyquat. Applied miracle it's a 10 leave-in. Still not much slip.

My hair is VERY thick, med to light brown, and I believe I'm 4a/4b. I got a trim a month or so ago and it's past APL, just above BSL. What are you all's regimen for detangling when stretching or transitioning? What products do you recommend? I'm beginning to have doubts and just want to be able to manage my hair for the road ahead. :sad:

Last edited:

hzlcreativity

I ended up bc'ing for that reason above. BUT, that was because I wanted it done NOW (well then, lol). I used a shampoo (that had detangler in it), a kiddie detangler spray, and loaded up with leave-in conditioner. It typically took me a while to detangle my hair, and I would always braid/twist/etc the untangled parts. I did this in a terry robe because my hair would have to be really wet during the process. Are you using a Denman brush? That helped a lot with the detangling process -- but I still had to use small sections.

MrsLadyK

You can search the challenge thread for some tips, I listed the title below. I have not mastered adding links yet. I hope this helps,

2010 Lose Minimal/No Hair While Detangling Challenge

Oh, I use Jasmines silk detangling leave-in, I am in love with this stuff. :grin:

jh1581

I have a black wide paddle denman brush and another more narrow navy blue denman with bristles that can be removed for hair removal (the bristles are opaque white with an orange base). I've never used to more narrow one though. It's still in it's box. Which denman is the best for detangling?

jh1581

You can search the challenge thread for some tips, I listed the title below. I have not mastered adding links yet. I hope this helps,

2010 Lose Minimal/No Hair While Detangling Challenge

Oh, I use Jasmines silk detangling leave-in, I am in love with this stuff. :grin:

Where can I find the Jasmine's silk detangling leave-in? I've been such a product junkie these days...

onejamifan

Girl, I just pour like a cup of conditioner on shampooed hair (right now it's Aussie Moist or Pantene Beautiful Lengths) and then I start detangling from the bottom up. Usually my worst tangles are on the back of my head at the line of demarcation, but I just do it as softly and gently as I can. I am almost 11 months post relaxer and have good amount of ng. It seems to me you are trying to detangle AFTER you rinse out the conditioner. You should detangle while you have conditioner in your hair in order for your hair to be more manageable and don't apply your leave in until after your rinse out the conditioner.

Keshieshimmer

It seems to me you are trying to detangle AFTER you rinse out the conditioner. You should detangle while you have conditioner in your hair in order for your hair to be more manageable and don't apply your leave in until after your rinse out the conditioner.

Oh gosh this is what I have been doing wrong. I was fooled by the softness and I half-a.. detangling while in the shower and I thought that was enough. Then I wash out the conditioner and add leave ins then really detangle! I feel so silly, but at least I can attempt to save my hair!

goodmorningruby

I stretch for six months at a time. I posted my detangling regimen when I have a lot of NG here. I changed it a little bit since then, but the concept of detangling once and keep it untangled while handling is the same. I now use four huge hair safe clips instead of bands and EVOO as a pre-poo oil.

My basic advice is to detangle in sections, wear styles that will prevent excess tangling in between detangling, and take advantage of running water and oil rinsing. :yep: HTH

ETA: Aussie Moist helps too

jh1581

....It seems to me you are trying to detangle AFTER you rinse out the conditioner. You should detangle while you have conditioner in your hair in order for your hair to be more manageable and don't apply your leave in until after your rinse out the conditioner.

That's exactly what I've been doing, detangling in the shower, but perhaps I'm not using the right products. I've also used Aussie Moist on occasion , but it didn't seem to do much good either. I feel like I need a good DC (I'd like an alternative to ORS) to detangle with when rinsing it out and then a good leave-in afterwards. I did try doing it in 3 sections a couple of weeks ago and it worked out better. I'll try that again next time too.

Minty

I'm still seaching to. Just bought Abba shampoo and conditioner today, we'll see how it goes. Dove conditioner blue label gives excellent slip for detangling. Aussie,ors, and AOSR didn't do it for me.

I will def. Not be chopping my hair, so I'm riding this out.

Salsarisma

I'm currently 15 weeks post...heading to 26 weeks or more. Detangling is a breeze for me now that I pre poo! Before pre pooing, I had the same problems you are having. Now I pre poo with: AOHSR(same as you), Burt's Bees Avocado Butter, EVOO, EVCO, Wheat Germ Oil, Avocado Oil, and Tresseme Moisture Rich condish to thin out the mixture. I leave this mix on for 1 hour. Then I shampoo with sulfAte free Trader Joes Tea Tree Shampoo. I usually dc with heat after shampooing. After washing out the shampoo, I do a quick rinse with VO5 Moisture Milk for slip. I apply my moisturizer(NTM Silk Touch), and detangle. I have less than 10 hairs in my comb. Detangling was never this easy until I started pre pooing! Hth!

hair4romheaven

Wash in braids. Keeping your NG stretched while washing (in braids) helps it from getting tangled. Once I am 80% dry I style my hair or use tension method to dry. Mostly with cool air.

~NanCeBoTwin~

I'm about to be 16 weeks into my second 30+ week stretch. I'll be using the same products as I used during my 34 week stretch and my 18 week stretch. I prepoo with EVCO, or a combination of Indian Oils and EVCO, lately I've been using HV CocastaShikakai oil to get rid of it, its a bit too heavy for me. I cowash and detangle using Assie Moist, I detangle with a shower comb underneath the stream of water from the shower head. This has been very effective for me. I don't have any issues detangling this way.

That's exactly what I've been doing, detangling in the shower, but perhaps I'm not using the right products. I've also used Aussie Moist on occasion , but it didn't seem to do much good either. I feel like I need a good DC (I'd like an alternative to ORS) to detangle with when rinsing it out and then a good leave-in afterwards. I did try doing it in 3 sections a couple of weeks ago and it worked out better. I'll try that again next time too.

I just saw this response, if the AM didn't work for you try the Suave Humectant, it gives great slip too. It was staple before I fell in love with AM.

As an alternative to ORS, you could try Kera Care Humecto, this is my staple DC. I stray and try out new one's all the time, but I ALWAYS end up coming back to my beloved Humecto.

Last edited:

beans4reezy

I am on a long stretch myself. When I need to wash my hair, I always wash in braids so that I can detangle my hair in the shower, section by section. Right now, I am 56 weeks post and I lose very little hair when I use this method of detangling.

panamoni

Thanks for the information. When I washed my hair last week, it was late at night, and I was losing patience, so I started ripping through my hair with the comb -- I could hear that it wasn't going well. I feel terrible, but I guess I'm learning for you ladies, that I need to have the time and the patience to do it. I was 12 weeks post.

My question to the ladies who recommended prepooing, how much of the prepoo do you put in your hair? Should it be coated, saturated, dripping? With a cap? I've been prepooing off and on, but I don't think it has much of an effect -- maybe I'm not using enough? The Burt's Bees Avocado just melts in my hair and gets soaked up (though I've never tried mixing it with other things). I also have tried the Phyto Prepoo and just EVOO.

Thanks for the help.

BronxMyth

Do you think Kinky Curly's (sp?) Knot Today would help? I wanted to try this when I was attempting to stretch. I couldn't find any relaxed/trans. reviews, just straight natural.

mrsjohnson75

I keep my detangling routine very simple. In the shower, I apply the conditioner to my wet hair (ORS replenishing pak or Organix coconut conditioner) then use a wide tooth comb going through my hair in sections. When I finish a section, I twist or plait it up.

Lissa0821

I don't detangle my hair at all in the shower. It just too fine for that, one big no no. Now I just spray my roots with Mane and Tail detangler and my oil of choice. I have recently fallen in love with Aloe Vera Juice, mixed with distilled water and Grapeseed oil. I spray my hair, detangle it and process with my prepoo, it has been working so far.

SilentRuby

I use to stretch for months at a time, but now I'm transitioning. I get the best results by putting my hair in 4-6 ponytails and detangling. I have very coarse, thick hair and I can detangle like I just had a fresh relaxer with this method. Of coarse, using slippery condish as well.

angellike

it helps for me to detangle in 4 sections, also no using shampoo helps as well.
Detangling is a bit of a process but i lose minimal hair this way

1. section hair and apply moisturizing conditioner to each section, use enough to thoroughly dampen the hair, cheap conditioner is great for this -- optional- leave in condish in for .5-1 hour or sit under a dryer
2. gently rinse each section under running shower hear, gently detangling with fingers only to loosen stray shed hairs

3. apply more moisturizing conditioner to soaking wet hair concentrating on each section, the key for me is to use lots of conditioner
4. gently begin to detangle each section with a wide tooth comb my favorite is this one:Mebco Tortoise Shower Detangler from sally's but (walmart, and kmart have simlar combs) remember continue from ends to roots i add more water to the section as go, this really helps, once all the knots are out i move on to the next section, by then i can actually comb from roots to ends, but be gentle another key is to go slowly
5. once all sections have been detangled, its time to rinse. i rinse each section separately and gently comb again under the running water to remove the shed hair i missed
6. i add a bit more condish, and gently comb my hair back to get rid of the sections sometime i'll rinse, sometimes i dont
7. style as usual, generally i'll tie it in a scarf to bun in the morning

Vanity1

I go between detangling in the shower and outside of it, but the key for me is products with alot of slip. I normally wear conditioners as leave ins for the most part, but whatever I have in my hair, usually something thick for moisture, I make sure I saturate my hair from root to tip, focusing on the new growth to line of demarcation and down.

I don't really do sections, i just part down the middle and detangle each side bit by bit. Works for me.

SmilingElephant

I love this thread on SO many levels bc this is my main fear of transitioning. I'm only 5 weeks post right now...but when i get to 8 and 10 weeks and on down the road i'm gonna start washing my hair in sections.

~NanCeBoTwin~

Thanks for the information. When I washed my hair last week, it was late at night, and I was losing patience, so I started ripping through my hair with the comb -- I could hear that it wasn't going well. I feel terrible, but I guess I'm learning for you ladies, that I need to have the time and the patience to do it. I was 12 weeks post.

My question to the ladies who recommended prepooing, how much of the prepoo do you put in your hair? Should it be coated, saturated, dripping? With a cap? I've been prepooing off and on, but I don't think it has much of an effect -- maybe I'm not using enough? The Burt's Bees Avocado just melts in my hair and gets soaked up (though I've never tried mixing it with other things). I also have tried the Phyto Prepoo and just EVOO.

Thanks for the help.

I prepoo with a cap and I coat the NG and length pretty good. It sometimes drips down the side of my face. I don't know if this is too much or not, but I know this way I have no detangling issues.

I forgot to add earlier, as I progress in my stretch I'll co wash and detangle in 4 sections.

MiWay

I'm 38 weeks post and my hair is easiest to work with when I wash it in sections/braids. I use Giovanni Direct as my leave-in, and I can get thru my hair pretty easily with my Jilbere shower comb and/or my Goody paddle brush.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I tried detangling under running water in the shower, and it's working for me. It's like the water helps the comb glide through. I cowashed my hair with VO5 Tea Therapy first, and as I rinsed, I combed with my Magic Star Mini Rake.

Chevelure618

I am 13 weeks post and detangling is still a breeze. I've got it down pat.

I comb out my hair well before I get in the shower.

Then when I shampoo I always keep the hair straight down and never let it get tangled...just keep working the products in a downward position. I ony shampoo the scalp; and mostly the run-off shampoo cleans the hair.

Let the conditioner sit . (HE moisturizing conditioners or VO5 are fine)

Rinse it out while combing it with a shower comb or large rake comb or pick. Don't touch it after that. That is the last time I comb it.

I put Ultra Black Hair Lotion Creme moisturizer on the NG in sections and smooth it through the NG as you would a relaxer. EVCO works for this too.

I am in the 13th week of a 16-week stretch. I detangle my hair in the shower with conditioner in it. Thankfully, it's manageable and not a PITA to do. I don't detangle on dry hair at all.