Detangling after a twist out? Finger detangling?

Fine 4s

What is your process for finger detangling and/or detangling after a twist out with or without a comb?

I haven't washed my twist out since last week. It's been in a pony when it died and I'm nervous to wash it. Usually, I detangle with a comb but I'm trying to prevent as much breakage as possible. I'm thinking an oil while finger detangling?

ogmistress

I just did this today.

I had my hair in twists all week and I took them out today to see how the twist out would look. For the past month or so I have been finger detangling but today I was not in the mood. (Also I usually detangle one twist at a time with no added products)

So I took a spray bottle added conditioner and water took sections of my hair sprayed it and brushed it out with a paddle brush (I couldn't find my wide tooth comb...). When I finished with a section I twist it back up. When I was finished I did my wash routine and now I am DCing overnight.

Fine 4s

My hair has been lose although pulled back all week. After I my twist outs, my hair is usually dry and tangly. I'd like to finger detangle with no comb this time just to see how that would work for me. Maybe I can detangle with a Denman or comb one to two times a month...IDK.

Hmmm... Maybe some oil and DC under a dryer as a pre-poo would help...

ogmistress

That might help.
I just know that with my hair it has to be wet or dry when I finger detangle...never in the middle because my ends wants to knot up in that stage.

Nonie

When I wore twistouts, I would retwist my hair that night because sleeping with natural hair loose, even when straightened, is abnormal to me. There is only one time I wore a twistout and then went to bed with my hair loose. :nono: My hair was a tangled mess the next morning; and it doesn't help that I use no product when I do twistouts.

What I did was apply Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner and then finger detangle/comb. I learned about doing this from *Happily Me* who had hip length hair and said this was her method. It worked like a charm.

After fully separating strands with fingers, I then used a fine-tooth comb and combed through as I rinsed off the conditioner. Bingo!

darlingdiva

To detangle after a twist out, I apply AO GPB directly to my hair after sectioning the twist out. Then I finger-detangle. Once I feel that I have adequately finger-detangled my hair, I turn on the water and place my hands under it.
Next, I run my hands down the length of my hair to apply the excess water to my hair. (I find that this method works much better for my hair than spraying my hair with water.)Then, I comb through my hair with my wide-toothed comb and braid it.

Naturelie

What is your process for finger detangling and/or detangling after a twist out with or without a comb?

I haven't washed my twist out since last week. It's been in a pony when it died and I'm nervous to wash it. Usually, I detangle with a comb but I'm trying to prevent as much breakage as possible. I'm thinking an oil while finger detangling?

My hair has been lose although pulled back all week. After I my twist outs, my hair is usually dry and tangly. I'd like to finger detangle with no comb this time just to see how that would work for me. Maybe I can detangle with a Denman or comb one to two times a month...IDK.

Hmmm... Maybe some oil and DC under a dryer as a pre-poo would help...

I'm in a exclusive finger detangling regimen. So, after a twist out I take my time and, almost a strand at a time, I try to undo the knots one by one.
It significantly reduces breakage.
Hope it could help you.

Naturelie

I'm in a exclusive finger detangling regimen. So, after a twist out I take my time and, almost a strand at a time, I try to undo the knots one by one.
It significantly reduces breakage.
Hope it could help you.

By the way, I don't really use any oil to do so but by being gentle when detangling, it works pretty well.

Fine 4s

I'm trying to extend the time before I put a comb to my head.
My roots don't detangle easily though....and maybe I'm waiting too long before I detangle? I'm sure I can finger detangle these twits that I have in but after not detangling a twist out for a week or two (even after putting it in a bun on day 3 or 2) the roots are tight, can't get my fingers through OR if I do, it breaks more easily.
My hair is so weak!

virtuenow

Okay, well I think you should consider spritzing your hair w/water (section by section), and letting it soak in before you manipulate that section. Once it is softened, slather some conditioner on that section, let it sink in, then lightly tug near root to release shed strands, then comb through w/your wide tooth comb; or finger comb through the hair. I suggest a nice rich conditioner, not a cheapie. This is the best method for me. Try w/your own modifications. Another method I use, is to sort of fan the hair out like your strumming a harp. This is great after you've taken twists out. You are releasing the hair from the hold of the twist shape. Then you can begin to lightly tug from the root (or ends if you prefer) to release the shed hair. This is probably the better technique for when you've taken twists out now that I think about it. You have to be very gentle w/this technique and set aside a lot of time so that you are not pulling hair out from the root or going too fast just to get done.

Last edited:

virtuenow

@virtuenow
Yes, I debt angle fine...I just end up with lots of short pieces in tub.

@Nonie
I don't use much prod...maybe the Shea butter moisture product would be on. I don't really use styling prods, I don't believe in them.

IN tub? Oh, the above description is for out of shower detangling (before washing-- or I guess after would work too). It would take too long in the shower; and if you tried in the shower you would most definitely rushing through and breaking hair. Not that it should take all that long, though.

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
i coat my hair with grapeseed oil and use a super wide tooth comb. then i use my fingers to detangle more, finally i co-wash and comb the cond thru while in the shower.

Nonie

Nonie
I don't use much prod...maybe the Shea butter moisture product would be on. I don't really use styling prods, I don't believe in them.

Fine 4s I find that my hair is so easy to work with after I wash it. I know the one time I tried to use S Curl on my twist, I was headed to tangle city when I tried to undo a twist with product on it. My twists are usually bare, but I still find hair that has been washed and allowed to dry has strands falling apart with ease than bare hair that hasn't just been washed. "Shea butter" on hair makes me just imagine glue. *shudder*

Fine 4s

IN tub? Oh, the above description is for out of shower detangling (before washing-- or I guess after would work too). It would take too long in the shower; and if you tried in the shower you would most definitely rushing through and breaking hair. Not that it should take all that long, though.

Sorry I wash my hair under a shower head whether in a tub or shower stall is what I meant.

naturalmanenyc

Fine 4s

I just finished detangling. I have not washed or detangled in about 2 weeks and have been in a phony bun since we got back from vacation. I was wearing a twist out during the trip.

I filmed it for my blog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-6wOhop4r0

I sprayed my hair with a combination of aloe vera juice, coconut oil, castor oil and grapeseed oil then let it sit for about an hour covered with a plastic shower cap. I section my hair as I go, and ended up with 8 sections. Initially I finger detangle and then I use a small toothed comb (seamless comb) to get out all the shed hairs from every angle.

Fine 4s

I assumed that finger detangling meant no follow-up with a comb at all...if anything with a wide tooth comb. But the thought of shedded hair caught in a style just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen for me...especially with my damaged ends.

I'm down to try your method! Anything to alleviate this breakage. I was horrified in August of last year. It was really really bad.