DHT Blocker ?

prettyFine

Hey I'm learning the multi quote thingy!!!! Yah!

For me the garlic taken internally and applied topically stopped the excessive shedding I experienced due to using MegaTek.

For my SO the Saw Palmetto helped stopped the excessive shedding and thinning he's experiencing. He applies it topically and takes it internally.

Sorry about not clarifying myself in my earlier post.

Thanks so much! Where does he get the Saw Palm to apply topically and what brand and dosage? ?This info will save me time and frustration as I'll try the exact thing to see if it helps. I've purchased so much until I'm about broke and tired.

As for the garlic you used, was it the oil or gel caps or was it the hard pill form? Also, what brand and dosage (ie. Natures Bounty, 2 x 1000 mg )

I agree with SS, I take Sprio also and I have grown a new head of hair just about. Megatek and other supplements has even grown my edges back!! Right now I am just leaving my hair alone and letting it grow! :yep:

Thanks a bunch! Were did you purchase your topical Spiro? Did you use the liquid or lotion? How often did you apply it?

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

Hey I'm learning the multi quote thingy!!!! Yah!

Thanks so much! Where does he get the Saw Palm to apply topically and what brand and dosage? ?This info will save me time and frustration as I'll try the exact thing to see if it helps. I've purchased so much until I'm about broke and tired.

As for the garlic you used, was it the oil or gel caps or was it the hard pill form? Also, what brand and dosage (ie. Natures Bounty, 2 x 1000 mg )

Thanks a bunch! Were did you purchase your topical Spiro? Did you use the liquid or lotion? How often did you apply it?
I'm taking oral Spironolactone which is a prescription that my OB GYN wrote for me (low dose). This is after I had blood work done and they realized that my hair loss was DHT related. I suggest you check with your physician before you try to use the spiro just to make sure its right for your situation.

I just recently learned about the Spiro topical creams. For now I'm going to stick with what's working for me.

FYI
Aldactone / Spironolactone
Spironolactone or the more popular brand name Aldactone is in a class of drugs called potassium-sparing diuretics (water pill). It is used to reduce the amount of fluid in your body without causing the loss of potassium. It is also used to treat hypertension (high blood pressure) and edema (swelling) and used to treat potassium deficiency and hyperaldosteronism (a hormonal disorder).
Spironolactone is an antiandrogen that works in two ways. Primarily it slows down the production of androgens in the adrenal glands and ovaries. Secondly it blocks the action of androgens in part by preventing dihydrotestosterone from binding to its androgenetic receptor.

Also Saw Palmetto is definitely worth checking into for internal and external use!

ETA: I just started drinking nettle tea and doing nettle tea rinses, a lot of ladies are getting great results from that and I can swear that my hair has started growing faster since I started, so much so that I am going to increase the amount of times per week I do my nettle tea rinses. It makes my hair so soft too!!

I rinse with and drink this:

Last edited:

morehairplease

I'm taking oral Spironolactone which is a prescription that my OB GYN wrote for me (low dose). This is after I had blood work done and they realized that my hair loss was DHT related. I suggest you check with your physician before you try to use the spiro just to make sure its right for your situation.

I just recently learned about the Spiro topical creams. For now I'm going to stick with what's working for me.

FYI

Also Saw Palmetto is definitely worth checking into for internal and external use!

ETA: I just started drinking nettle tea and doing nettle tea rinses, a lot of ladies are getting great results from that and I can swear that my hair has started growing faster since I started, so much so that I am going to increase the amount of times per week I do my nettle tea rinses. It makes my hair so soft too!!

I rinse with and drink this:

hey there sweetie,

do you mind me asking how you do your nettle tea rinses?

tia,
tishee

SelfStyled

Oooh I want to know too about the Nettle tea. I always knew that Nettle was helpful fo hair loss.

The Trader Joe's Tingle Conditioner has nettle oil in it.

Off to search....

I love a homeopathic remedy:grin:

AtlantaJJ

hey there sweetie,

do you mind me asking how you do your nettle tea rinses?

tia,
tishee
It's so easy!....I just boil a couple cups of water put two bags in it, cover and let it steep for about 6-7 minutes, let it cool down good....after I rinse out my DC and towel dry my hair I drink one cup of tea and I pour the rest over my head and put a plastic bag on and let it sit while I clean up the bathroom (about 5 - 10 mintues). Then I take the bag off, put in my leave in, seal with oil and proceed.

I think I'm going to make a nettle infused oil with a jojoba oil base....:scratchch

AtlantaJJ

Oooh I want to know too about the Nettle tea. I always knew that Nettle was helpful fo hair loss.

The Trader Joe's Tingle Conditioner has nettle oil in it.

Off to search....

I love a homeopathic remedy:grin:

Check on Saw Palmetto extract while you're looking :yep:

Ivy Santolina

We order the Saw Palmetto from www.herbalremedies.com - http://www.herbalremedies.com/ahh-28.html

I added it at a 5% concentration total as part of our MegaTek mix. He applies it every night to his entire scalp and washes it off in the morning.

He also uses the Groganics line which includes Saw Palmetto.

The total amount of Saw Palmetto he applies I couldn't tell you because I don't know how much is in the Groganics products.

I believe this extract can be directly applied to the thinning areas with out any adverse effects. I apply the extract directly to my upper lip and chin to keep the facial hair away. I have very sensitive skin and this extract does not irritate it in any way. Also, I've read online where some women take as much as 450mg a day in capsule form of Saw Palmetto to combat DHT caused acne and they get good results (less acne and thicker hair) without any adverse side effects. I found a web-site explaining how Saw Palmetto can benefit women.

I order the Wakunaga, Kyolic Aged Garlic Extract Liquid from www.iHerb.com. I put 1/4 tsp in a glass of water and drink it every morning. I only take it once a day.

vickid

ATL JJ, you are lucky! It took me 3 Doctors to finally convince one to do that blood test for me!

prettyFine

Wow ladies I thank you all so very much! When your hair starts to just fall out in your hands its just horrible. I'll re read all this info and formulate a regimen.

And I'll come back to this thread and report. This as a thanks to those who have been so kind to share their info. And to help those who are experiencing the same issues.

HoneyDew

You know i did some research look at what i found

http://www.hairloss-reversible.com/discus/messages/5/2677.html?1132275674

Finally, androgen binding studies performed with other imidazoles, such as clotrimazole, miconazole, and fluconozole, revealed that in this class of compounds only ketoconazole appears to interact with the androgen receptor.

Those do aid in hair loss though. Not sure why but I though sure Iread that they are DHT blockers, as well.

But maybe they aid in hair loss for some other reason and may not actually help when it is a result of certain kinds of hair loss.

dplyrooted

My derm just prescribed me Spironolactone 50 mg, bid for 2 wks, and then once a day. I haven't filled it yet, I read all the side effects and it scared the bejeebies out of me. I'm a nurse, so I'm not quick to take chemical medications. I'll go ahead and fillo the script, and try it.

scarcity21

I rubbed it directly on my scalp (like I was greasing my scalp with it) You can use Retin A the same exact way BUT I don't think its adviseable to use them both at the same time.

Thanks...i ask bcos i have azelaic acid and retin a micro prescribed for my acne...so ill try the azaleic acid and see if it works:)

aa9746

Hi lady! Unfortun. no. One thing that has helped some is Nizoral 2%. I was skeptical about it but with so many being helped by it I tried. It helps to slow it down some. It's the only thing thats helped any.

I'm one of those who had "thick hair to the ends" as my stylist used to say. But over the years the thinning has increased to where I"m always CUTTING my hair just to keep the ends from looking stringy. And then a few mos later they are yet stringy again! its hard.

I guess I'll have to get something Rx strength also.

Has anyone used a brand of Saw Palmetto that's worked? I used the walmart brand and it didn't.

Anyone used a brand of garlic that's worked? I used the "nature made" cvs brand and they didnt work. I'm wondering do the gel caps work best.

Is there anything else that's helped anyone?

I'm tired of washing my hair every 4 days with the Nizoral. It gets tangled and its just an inconvenience.

I use 1% Nizoral, where did u find the 2%??

chicha

Yes, my SO has typical male pattern baldness .

The Groganics slowed down/stopped the excessive shedding and thinning .

Ivy Santolina I am impressed with what you say the Groganics was doing. Is it still helping to slow down the shedding?\

How often does your husband use it every day or once a wk?

Last edited: