Rogaine question(please check it out!)

trishjohnson85

I know rogaine is a DHT blocker and it helps your hair grow back, but what if the reason for your hair loss in the first place was not caused by DHT. Will the hair that you grow from using it still fall out if you discontinue use?

Shadiyah

I have always heard that once you start using it you can not stop because it will fall out. That was one reason why I never used it before.

grnidmonster

my derm told me that because my hair was caused by something else other than genetic pattern baldness, new growth would probably remain. She said her other patients retained their hair. She is a black, female dermatologist that treats predominitaly black women. HTH

trishjohnson85

my derm told me that because my hair was caused by something else other than genetic pattern baldness, new growth would probably remain. She said her other patients retained their hair. She is a black, female dermatologist that treats predominitaly black women. HTH

Thank you! this is exactly what i was trying ti find out!

Nonie

I know rogaine is a DHT blocker and it helps your hair grow back, but what if the reason for your hair loss in the first place was not caused by DHT. Will the hair that you grow from using it still fall out if you discontinue use?

I don't think minoxidil (Rogaine) is DHT blocker. From what I have read most products for hair regrowth will combine minoxidil and a DHT blocker. Here's one place that says that minoxidil works differently from Propecia (finasteride) in that finasteride blocks DHT while minoxidil simply stimulates the follicle.

I am using Rogaine for my hair loss but want to stop using it. Can I stop using it and take Propecia instead? How long does it take before you can tell a difference? I am 47 years old. How often should I take it? Will my hair regrow with this medication?
Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil) are both proven and FDA approved to treat baldness, but operate entirely different one from another. Propecia works by inhibiting the production of dihydrotestosterone (DHT), the hormone responsible for genetic male pattern baldness. Rogaine works by stimulating the hair follicle, potentially causing hair regrowth. In combination one with another, you have the most effective non-surgical hair loss treatment regime available, even more so than either one separately.

If you choose to stop Rogaine, you may lose any hair regrowth you’ve acquired, even if you start taking Propecia. In my opinion, if you don’t want to lose any hair growth you’ve obtained by using Rogaine, continue using it and simply add Propecia to your regime.

Propecia comes in 1mg tablets of finasteride and should be taken daily. Consult with your doctor to learn more about the benefits, limitations, and possible side effects of this drug.

Bill - aka Falceros
Associate Publisher/Editor
http://www.regrowhair.com/category/non-surgical-hair-loss-treatments/rogaine-minoxidil/

And if you google DHT Blocker and Minoxidil, you will find that it's advised to use them together, not that they are mutually exclusive or that they are one and the same.