Did anyone ever try Pokahontas' Banding Method

lonei

She kindly just told me about it as Im trying to find quicker ways to dry my hair with maximum straightness under the dryer and then flat iron afterwards. Did any of you try it? What were your results? Did you use rubber bands or hair bands? How long did it take? Did you flat iron afterwards? Thanks...

ajargon02

I am a natural, so I don't know how helpful I will be. I have been banding for several years now. It works wonders. My hair looks as if it's been blowdried, when it's fully dry. I will either band or I will do 6-8 flat twists to air dry my hair. I love this method. It's a lot less stress then the blow dryer!

lonei

ajargon02 said:
I am a natural, so I don't know how helpful I will be. I have been banding for several years now. It works wonders. My hair looks as if it's been blowdried, when it's fully dry. I will either band or I will do 6-8 flat twists to air dry my hair. I love this method. It's a lot less stress then the blow dryer!

Thanks, well if it can make natural hair appear staright then it should work wonders for this underpocessed mess! Please describe in huge detail the steps you take from after you have conditioned your hair, thanks a bunch!

lonei

stilettos said:
sorry but whats banding?

Look in Pokahontas' natural folder in her fotki and there are photos that say 'banding/airdrying', it has pics, I also bumped up another thread for you called 'Another way to Airdry'

Ms Lala

I have banded my natural hair to airdry and it works well. I have flat ironed afterwards and it gets myhair straight so it would probably work wonders on relaxed hair. I have to use a small tooth comb(especially on the ends) while flat ironing though because the hair isn't as straight as it would be from blow dryihng.

ajargon02

lonei said:
Thanks, well if it can make natural hair appear staright then it should work wonders for this underpocessed mess! Please describe in huge detail the steps you take from after you have conditioned your hair, thanks a bunch!

Let's see if I can get some pics for you too.....
ok,I guess when you don't pay for fotki, you can't share your photos!
After no poo, deep condition tx, I gently pat my hair, so that it stops dripping. I then apply, (about 1 dime size amt) of givonni leave in, conditioner mixed w/ castor oil, and oyin honey hemp conditioner. I apply these through out the entire hair. then I section my hair off. Initially in 4 sections. Then w/ each section, I split that in half. So right now you would have a total of 8 sections. The smaller the sections, the better banding works for me. I use phhb (panty hose head bands) soaked in jojoba oil, and I put it in each section. Like you are gonna put a ponytail in? This is kinda hard for me to describe. Once all are in, I throw a scarf on and go about my day. I also use magnetic rollers. I like thoes a whole lot. I use the same leave in mix that was described earlier, and the large plastic pink rollers. I roll up my hair at night, when I take it down in the am it's soft dry, and very straight. If I want to get it a bit straighter, I could take the flat iron, and go over every curl.
You might want to check out afashionslave. she's really great at step-by-step instructions, and she might have a tutorial.

Ebony Majesty

lonei said:
Look in Pokahontas' natural folder in her fotki and there are photos that say 'banding/airdrying', it has pics, I also bumped up another thread for you called 'Another way to Airdry'

I see it. Thanks Lonei :)

camellia

I do it pretty often. Banding gives my hair very smooth, soft waves. If I flat iron afterward I can get it bone straight.

It takes my hair about 12 hours to air dry like this.

Cichelle

I don't know what Pokahontas' Banding Method is, (I'll take a look later), but I have banded my hair before. I really liked the results but my hair takes a really long time to dry this way.