Did anyone see this about WEN Cleansing Conditioner?

Evolving78

I was a big supporter of co washing until I started my trichology course. Seeing the scalp and skin under microscope has changed the way I look at haircare. Build up on the scalp is no joke and can lead to serious hair loss. Ladies I also encourage you to get into the habit of exfoliating the scalp .
I'm looking into an exfoliator now for the scalp. I am skin care therapist and I agree. But at least folks clarify, but I think if you cowash, you need to use a sulfate shampoo, not a non sulfate. Those Creme of nature shampoos feel so good, but causes so much buildup!

Evolving78

Most reviews were bad that I saw, I used it because it was a gift and I'm pretty sure my hair would be crap if I kept using it. It made my hair feel weird. It was always "crispy" after lol
WEN was terrible for my hair. It felt good applying it, but left my hair stripped and hard. I spent over $60 on one bottle. Cleansing conditioners don't work for my hair period! They all do the same thing. I have to use shampoo.

naturalmanenyc

I have a 32 oz bottle of WEN 613 that is about 1/3 full. I haven't been using it much since I have been in Havana twists and crochet braids for over 1 year. I also have the REN version and Sally's version since I thought the price was too high for WEN. Being frugal apparently paid off. It's the tallest bottle in the caddy and I hang my shower cap on it. lol

I still use shampoo. Sulfates too. After being in braids for 2 months at a time I like to clean my scalp and cleansing conditioners don't do that for me.

awhyley

I'm shocked and disappointed that Wen is turning out to be such a dud. It's always been on my wish list, but I'm glad that I didn't bother to purchase based on all the claims that have been made. Maybe its just that it should be used in moderation and not as the sole method of hair cleansing. I'm hoping that some dedicated Wen users stop in here and give their thoughts on this one.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I can see how this could be a problem for the scalp and lead to hair loss.

I tried co-washing and co-cleansing and it was all like putting conditioner on top of dirt and gunk. When I did wash with shampoo, (every other wash) I had to wash 2-3 times to feel like my hair was clean from all the buildup. I just left it all alone and use shampoo only. My deep conditioners now penetrate better, all products work better after deep conditioning and my scalp feels lovely.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
So will this also happen of using sulfate free poos like Keracare Hydrating shampoo (think that's what it's called)? I've been doing a BKT every 4 months or so, and then only Shampoo with that or WEN. I swear if it ain't one thing it's another...

Video
http://www.11alive.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/04/02/wen-lawsuit-hair-loss/70832550/

I've been on the non-sulfate bandwagon for years. My hair feels so good when I use Keracare sulfate free shampoo. I also don't clarify. I may have been slowly sufficating my own hair!

You need to use a shampoo that will remove build-up. Not every week, but at least get it into your rotation so that it's used at the very least once a month. Personally, I only use a clarifying shampoo now. The hair loss I experienced scared the crap out of me. I'm taking no chances now. The health of my scalp is paramount.

mz.rae

Wow this is scary! My mom was going to buy some of this I'm glad she didn't. I use to use Hair One when I was relaxed and regular V05 conditioners to cowash. As a natural I don't cowash nearly as much or at all really. I may just get in the shower and apply conditioner to my hair only and detangle when I've been wearing a wash and go during the week. But applying it to my scalp as a natural is a no no for me.

LaBelleLL

I was a big supporter of co washing until I started my trichology course. Seeing the scalp and skin under microscope has changed the way I look at haircare. Build up on the scalp is no joke and can lead to serious hair loss. Ladies I also encourage you to get into the habit of exfoliating the scalp .

How do i exfoliate my scalp? g.lo

girlonfire

My hair stylist (white lady) told me to never use it in my life. She could be pedalling her products but she told me about people's hair coming out in their hands. It's awesome for detangling though. Sad.

sunnieb

Just used Spring Gardenia last night and my hair is bouncy and perfect today. :ohwell:

I'm still curious as to what other products the ladies used worth WEN. Did they use shampoo at all?

Still not buying anymore though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay

g.lo I had a Komaza Hair Analysis last year and while my hair hates cowashing, we had a discussion about the topic anyway and you're on point with what they said. I purchase their exfoliatior. What do you use?

HappilyLiberal

Good thing I've always been too cheap to try this :sad: I sure hope these ladies are able to recover.

Yep... the only reason I hadn't tried it was because it cost too much for me to justify purchasing that for my hair.

Then I started seeing the YouTube videos of folks complaining about hair loss and it went on the permanent don't list.

g.lo

I'm looking into an exfoliator now for the scalp. I am skin care therapist and I agree. But at least folks clarify, but I think if you cowash, you need to use a sulfate shampoo, not a non sulfate. Those Creme of nature shampoos feel so good, but causes so much buildup!

I am a skin therapist as well , love anything to do with skin. If I was younger I would have gone back and enrol to medical school

g.lo

How do i exfoliate my scalp? g.lo

Hi,

I use a good quality paddle brush to exfoliate the scalp. There is a way of doing it without brushing hair, you are just kind of sweeping the scalp.
Hard to explain, when I get a chance I will make a small video.
It is better to exfoliate prior to shampoo.
Don't exfoliate for too long and than leave the scalp without washing, your scalp will be so itchy!
I am not a fan of sugar or salt scrubbing, as they are not perfectly round and can scratch the scalp and may cause other problems.
If you must use them, be very gentle.

PlainJane

This happened to me too.

I remember singing the praises of Wen on the board then a few months later had to take it back. It gave me little bald spots.

The only good thing is they have a money back guarantee. I spoke with the guy doing my return and he said people would return the product all of the time for the same thing.

g.lo

g.lo I had a Komaza Hair Analysis last year and while my hair hates cowashing, we had a discussion about the topic anyway and you're on point with what they said. I purchase their exfoliatior. What do you use?

I use jag laser hair solution Hygenia, or hlcc scalp therapy.
We use that in clinic, but I am sure they other brands as well, but otherwise brush therapy work well.

Hibiscus30

LaBelleLL, this is what I use currently:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008U5RRHQ...hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_zznhe2ut4_b

I get it at TJMaxx or Marshalls for $7. It's fantastic.

Omgosh I love this product. I have 3 tubes left. Honestly, I didn't even understand what this product was doing to my scalp, until I saw improvement in the health of my scalp. Especially around my edges and crown (my trouble spots...blasted braids) I mix it with a bit of shampoo.

g.lo

I didn't know they had one, what it is called?

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
Omgosh I love this product. I have 3 tubes left. Honestly, I didn't even understand what this product was doing to my scalp, until I saw improvement in the health of my scalp. Especially around my edges and crown (my trouble spots...blasted braids) I mix it with a bit of shampoo.

I'm down to my last tube and I can't find at TJ or Marshalls right now and I refuse to pay $20+ for it, so now I'm looking at sugar scrubs. :perplexed

ag00

Wow thank you. I've always shampooed (but not often) and I exfoliate with a narrow hard bristle brush gently. My scalp thrived but I will shampoo regularly from now on.

Last edited:

FelaShrine

damn i use WEN faithfully..but i may lay off it just to see if my hair thrives more without it..smdhhh WENNNNNNNN i heart you but listen!!!!:look:

maybe it hates white hair :look:

I use my Fig everty now and then for over a year. Havent noticed any clumps of hair loss.

CodeRed

I've only used WEN one time and it left my hair feeling kind of waxy so I never used it again. I was soft but kind of "tacky".

I'm a big fan of co-washing with VO5 because a lot of their conditioners have EDTA, a chelator, as an ingredient in the first 10. Obviously it's not going to completely chelate/clarify your hair but it does aid in cleansing without replacing the buildup. The Kiwi Lime Clarifying conditioner is my favorite to co-wash with but I've been using others with EDTA that's higher on the list. My scalp doesn't have any buildup on it and neither does my hair. I chelate/clarify with shampoo once or twice a month and accompany those shampoos with an apple cider vinegar rinse just to be on the safe side and get my hair/scalp completely clean.

Edit: I also gently scratch my scalp with my fingernails (they're rounded not pointy) when my hair/scalp is dry to see if I get anything underneath my nails. So far so good... I also do gentle scratching/rubbing for circulation when I'm shampooing/applying oils to my scalp.

Last edited:

Rozlewis

I use Wen 613 periodically and never had an issue. It left my hair soft and uber moisturized. My regimen is to cowash once a week (Tuesday) and then I wash with shampoo on the weekend (Saturday) and I never experienced any issues. However, now I am a little concerned so I may finish what I have on-hand which is not much and then bye bye Wen. It was good while it lasted but the affair is over.