Did anyone see ....

LucieLoo12

The Butler yet?

Well I went to go see it last night and don't stone me please, but I do not think it is Christian "friendly" :nono:. I read reviews on it before I went to go see it and this one site said it had no cursing..that is a lie from the devil :lol:. So when I read that and seen the rating was PG-13, I felt it was safe. They have more than a few sex jokes in and a lot of curse words. I know sometimes we feel strongly about supporting our black movies, but I am just giving anyone a heads up to anyone who haven't seen it. The overall concept and plot was good, but the language wasn't.

I am not trying to "condemn" anyone, but I myself don't watch things with vulgar language or sexual content. And to be honest, I would not bring my kids to watch it either.

blazingthru

Well I was thinking the same exact thing. I don't go to the movies, maybe twice a year if that. but I do not watch television much especially when there's cursing and the first thing you will notice at the very beginning of the movies, they curse God right from the beginning that's a wrap for me. It already tells me that this is not where I want to be.

We as Christians should be watching and praying and I know my kids are starting to look at me strange but I watch old shows if I choose to watch TV I will watch the old stuff, wholesome stuff no bedroom no kissing or overly affection. Like little house on the prairie or the Walton stuff like that. I always liked those things and so every now and then I will watch them. But mostly i been studying so if there is a program on regarding prophecy I get my note pad out and start taking notes.

“Examine yourselves as to whether you’re in the faith” (2 Corinthians 13:5 NKJV). You need to be watching yourself and your surroundings. You need to be asking yourself, Am I growing? Am I becoming more like Jesus? “Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; Keep watch over the door of my lips” (Psalm 141:3 NKJV).

Ask the Lord to watch your mind, your heart, your lips. We need to be guarding what we allow to come into our minds. This is one of the single most important things you can do in your own discipline as a Christian: guarding the avenues to your soul. You’re the combined essence of all those things that you take in. Some of those things have been Trojan horses. We think there’s no harm done, but once it gets into our minds, it becomes a disaster. “A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished” (Proverbs 22:3 NKJV).

I use to watch all the latest but now they have no interest for me. My mind is stayed on Christ and that's all I focus on. I did want to go with my family while we were on vacation last week, to see the Butler, but we could not fit it in our schedule and I had been looking on line to see if there were curses in it. I didn't find any information. Thanks for posting. I will most likely never see it. Unless I get it on DVD and block out the curse words, but that's not likely to happen because i don't care that much to see it anyway.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I don't go the movies. The last movie theater I went to was Friday, October 19, 1990. I never went back since.

Not only do I not enjoy movies with sexual scenes as well as cursing, I also cannot stand being in a movie theater with other people in the audience cursing as well. And folks do this for the silliest reasons. It is as if they do not have any intelligence beyond using a curse word.

I totally get it when someone may have a 'trauma' in life and they may have a 'slip'. I'm not giving anyone 'license' to do so, however, what these movies are doing, especially BLACK movies, they are teaching our children (and their parents who curse) that this is the norm and that this is 'our' language and these hyper-sexual scenes are teaching them and ignorant society, that this is what life should be or worse that this is how Black folks live.

It's a mess and I refuse to support it. I refuse to support a movie theater that allows cursing from the audience. It they want a 'curse house', they can pay for it themselves or shut down all together.

If the Butler is such a positive movie, than make it positive all the way.

Question: Is the producer of this movie gay?

Last edited:

LucieLoo12

I don't go the movies. The last movie theater I went to was Friday, October 19, 1990. I never went back since.

Not only do I not enjoy movies with sexual scenes as well as cursing, I also cannot stand being in a movie theater with other people in the audience cursing as well. And folks do this for the silliest reasons. It is as if they do not have any intelligence beyond using a curse word.

I totally get it when someone may have a 'trauma' in life and they may have a 'slip'. I'm not giving anyone 'license' to do so, however, what these movies are doing, especially BLACK movies, they are teaching our children (and their parents who curse) that this is the norm and that this is 'our' language and these hyper-sexual scenes are teaching them and ignorant society, that this is what life should be or worse that this is how Black folks live.

It's a mess and I refuse to support it. I refuse to support a movie theater that allows cursing from the audience. It they want a 'curse house', they can pay for it themselves or shut down all together.

If the Butler is such a positive movie, than make it positive all the way.

Question: Is the producer of this movie gay?

Yes I just read he was gay. :nono: I didnt even think to look up the producer before I went.

I myself dont go to the movies much because it is never anything wholesome out. I wanted to see this movie because of the historical content and importance but they had a whole lot of "extra" stuff going on in there :nono:. I do regret seeing it.

Shimmie

Staff member
Yes I just read he was gay. :nono: I didnt even think to look up the producer before I went.

I myself dont go to the movies much because it is never anything wholesome out. I wanted to see this movie because of the historical content and importance but they had a whole lot of "extra" stuff going on in there :nono:. I do regret seeing it.

I think he is, isn't the producer Lee Daniels?

This is were Blacks get hoodwinked. Not because he is gay, but if he is supporting and promoting the gay lifestyle, than my movie will not pay for this.

I realize that we don't always know who is behind the products and services we spend our money on and where the money goes from these corporations, etc.

HOWEVER:

In the Name of Jesus, we bind every nickle, dime, penny and dollars, of all denominations and value, and in gold, silver, platinum, jewels of all values and hues and precious stones, we BIND it ALL to the Body of Christ. Everything of value goes to the glory of God and His people and His work and His will and NOT the will and sins of this world.

In Jesus' Name, Amen.

There's more to this... I'll start another thread. :yep:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I don't plan on seeing this movie... Oprah's in it. lol

But the bolded is likely what that "something" is I couldn't put my finger on while watching the trailer.

I wanted to see this movie because of the historical content and importance but they had a whole lot of "extra" stuff going on in there :nono:. I do regret seeing it.

Leigh

Yes, I loved it. There were so many historical nuggets in there. Like all the stuff Reagan did. I loved the fact that it was based on truth. I don't even remember the language because I was focused on the deeper message and like Paul said I would have to come out of the world to avoid everything and also the fact that we aren't supposed to judge those who are without.

Unless it says G, I know almost anything could be said. So I don't go to a lot of movies anymore. But this one tied in nicely with all the civil rights stuff going on. To think he had the courage to say the colored help deserve the same pay as the white help is brave, courageous.

And even though Reagan did some foul stuff, he agreed.

Leigh

This is were Blacks get hoodwinked. Not because he is gay, but if he is supporting and promoting the gay lifestyle, than my movie will not pay for this.

I realize that we don't always know who is behind the products and services we spend our money on and where the money goes from these corporations, etc.

HOWEVER:

In the Name of Jesus, we bind every nickle, dime, penny and dollars, of all denominations and value, and in gold, silver, platinum, jewels of all values and hues and precious stones, we BIND it ALL to the Body of Christ. Everything of value goes to the glory of God and His people and His work and His will and NOT the will and sins of this world.

In Jesus' Name, Amen.

There's more to this... I'll start another thread. :yep:

Great point. I didn't know he was gay until I read this thread.

Shimmie

Staff member
Yes, I loved it. There were so many historical nuggets in there. Like all the stuff Reagan did.

I loved the fact that it was based on truth. I don't even remember the language because I was focused on the deeper message and like Paul said I would have to come out of the world to avoid everything and also the fact that we aren't supposed to judge those who are without.

Unless it says G, I know almost anything could be said. So I don't go to a lot of movies anymore. But this one tied in nicely with all the civil rights stuff going on. To think he had the courage to say the colored help deserve the same pay as the white help is brave, courageous.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Really. :yep: I have no issue with those who went to see the movie and liked it.

Here's where I have issue.

When do we get the 'Filet' fresh, pure cuts of our history, instead of McDonald's 'nuggets' with unhealthy 'fillers' which consist of cursing, sexual overkill, and truly a mockery of our Black Culture? If it's based on Truth, how big is the Truth platform? Big enough to dispel the negative stereotypes of our culture?

I realize that there is 'poetic license' (drama) being utilized to hold the audience's attention, but isn't there something other than the negative? Of course there is. :yep:

momi

The Butler yet?

Well I went to go see it last night and don't stone me please, but I do not think it is Christian "friendly" :nono:. I read reviews on it before I went to go see it and this one site said it had no cursing..that is a lie from the devil :lol:. So when I read that and seen the rating was PG-13, I felt it was safe. They have more than a few sex jokes in and a lot of curse words. I know sometimes we feel strongly about supporting our black movies, but I am just giving anyone a heads up to anyone who haven't seen it. The overall concept and plot was good, but the language wasn't.

I am not trying to "condemn" anyone, but I myself don't watch things with vulgar language or sexual content. And to be honest, I would not bring my kids to watch it either.

I couldn't agree more. I was so excited to see the movie - but left feeling very unsettled. The profanity used throughout the movie was completely unnecessary and added nothing to the movie whatsoever.

Secondly, the portrayal of the wife (Oprah's character) was very strange until the end. I just chalked it up to the producer keeping in line with the real life story... Only to find out that the Butler's wife was no cheating alcoholic at all I wonder how the true character would have felt seeing his family's image tainted in such a way.

Anyway - I was hoping this would be a movie that we could see together as a family... but unfortunately that will not be happening.

momi

Yes, I loved it. There were so many historical nuggets in there. Like all the stuff Reagan did. I loved the fact that it was based on truth. I don't even remember the language because I was focused on the deeper message and like Paul said I would have to come out of the world to avoid everything and also the fact that we aren't supposed to judge those who are without.

For the few and I mean "few" historical truths that were in that movie - it still wasn't worth it.

tinkat

I guess our perception is reality bc the last thing on my mind was the profanity or sexuality. As someone who did not live during the movement (80s baby) it was a reminder that my elders paved the way and a great appreciation of that. I loved the movie even if it was not the truth.

Wait, be positive, keep believing, and all will surely be yours. Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Thanks for sharing your thoughts/review of the movie. "Historical" movies tend to get a side eye from me as it's usually the interpretation of the producers/writers, etc., interspersed with "modern twists" to please people's palates. Still, some things are just that, pure entertainment. The onus is on us to find out the truth on our own, like you did. An untrue portrayal only distorts the truth.

I couldn't agree more. I was so excited to see the movie - but left feeling very unsettled. The profanity used throughout the movie was completely unnecessary and added nothing to the movie whatsoever.

Secondly, the portrayal of the wife (Oprah's character) was very strange until the end. I just chalked it up to the producer keeping in line with the real life story... Only to find out that the Butler's wife was no cheating alcoholic at all I wonder how the true character would have felt seeing his family's image tainted in such a way.

Anyway - I was hoping this would be a movie that we could see together as a family... but unfortunately that will not be happening.