Did she braid my hair wrong???

ahh okay cool good to know....have you seen alot of retention with this? Do they get fuzzy on you? Are you doing crown and glory?

Hmmm I really think my moms hair could really benefit from this.....when I leave her hair loose she starts abusing it again so I gotta put her hair away in PS to protect her hair from herself:rolleyes::rofl:

I'm definitely seeing more retention than I could without them. I probably would see more if I moisturized and sealed but I hate products on my hair so I don't apply anything. That leaves my hair exposed to the elements and so retention isn't as good as it could be.

To get an idea of how well they help me, my hair in April 2007 was about 3 inches stretched:
SelfdoneCornrowsandNaturalPuff-vi.jpg

And in June 2008 was a little past shoulder:
PressedHair61509-vi.jpg

Once you hit shoulder length, you really do need protective styling to see your hair make any progress IMO, or at least sealing of ends, which I don't do. :sekret:

So in April 2009, my hair hadn't seemed to make much progress from that June pic, but I think for me just being able to wear my stretched hair in a pony is a thrill I never thought I'd ever see:
Day3ofmyApril2009Press-vi.jpg

But still, when I was undoing a braid recently, I was thrilled to see that I just might've finally made APL--or at least my hair looking longer than I have ever seen it:
ngesthairsectiononmyheadIthink-vi.jpg

:lol: at protecting your mom's hair from herself. If her hair gets to shoulder length, one way to protect her ends, besides just sealing is to wear it the way relaxed hair would be worn to protect it: buns, cute updos. If she won't do it, just french braid the braids or cornrow them on the sides again to keep her from "abusing" it kinda like this:
FrenchBraidMicrosStyle-vi.jpg

If your mom, joins the forum, I'm so gonna deny I had anything to do with you plotting how to control her hair and protect it from her. :lachen:

In fact, just to be on the safe side, I'ma remove my siggy from this post.

a-Nonie-mous

You know it's not too late be sorted. I can't find the interactive hat that sorted me but there are few sites that do this. Here's one. ;)

Now if you do end up in Slytherin, can you please keep in mind that Snape is spoken for! :bat: And if you can find a way to get me detention during Potions Class, I might just make time to do your hair. :eyebrows2

:lachen::lachen:...Going to get sorted now...:grin:

I have been doing braids for many many years. What she should have done...although hard to explain... was braid the human hair into your hair down about an inch, then just like you do with tree braids take a piece of the fake hair out, leave it out, and continue braiding the rest of the hair all the way down to the past the end of your hair. When she's done the piece left out will cover the braid it's attached too and will look just like invisible braids....nevermind...hard to explain...

I have been doing braids for many many years. What she should have done...although hard to explain... was braid the human hair into your hair down about an inch, then just like you do with tree braids take a piece of the fake hair out, leave it out, and continue braiding the rest of the hair all the way down to the past the end of your hair. When she's done the piece left out will cover the braid it's attached too and will look just like invisible braids....nevermind...hard to explain...
:blush:Omigosh that is soooo true! GREAT point! she should have done individual tree braids on OP!

OMGEEEE this is how I can do individuals and get the look I want! Thanks so much for reminding me of this!

That style is the *perfect* solution for long hair that you want to put away in a braided PS.

EXCELLENT post HairySituation!:clapping:.....I think this is the *best* solution to the OP's problem! here's a demonstration on how individual tree braids are done....I seriously might do my hair like this when I study abroad in Italy this summer:scratchch....thanksomuch for reminding me of this option.....its perfect for long hair!:woot:

Last edited:
Do they get fuzzy on you? Are you doing crown and glory?

I forgot to answer the two questions above, sorry.

They tend to get fuzzy in the sections beyond my own hair but not enough to stand out. If I go to long without redoing them, I usually will do braid-outs (Plait them when wet and let them dry in plaits then wear them out)...and that sorta hides the mess. Or I wear them up in the cornrows on the side and after baggying, any fuzz is usually somewhat flattened so that I can make it through the week till the weekend. This pic from 2009 sorta shows you an example of the odd braid that will get fuzzy after a wash:
Afterawash-vi.jpg

Alternatively, I will try to redo the braids that are along the part and that will be "on top" so that they can hide the messier ones underneath...and then wear that cornrow style.

No, I don't do C&G because I already had my own regimen by the time I knew of it, and it involves using products and undoing your braids after 2 months and I can't do all o' dat. It is however a very good regimen for someone new to growing hair in braids.

:blush:Omigosh that is soooo true! GREAT point! she should have done individual tree braids on you!

OMGEEEE this is how I can do individuals and get the look I want! Thanks so much for reminding me of this!

That style is the *perfect* solution for long hair that you want to put away in a braided PS.

EXCELLENT post HairySituation!:clapping:.....I think this is the *best* solution to the OP's problem! here's a demonstration on how individual tree braids are done....I seriously might do my hair like this when I study abroad in Italy this summer:scratchch....thanksomuch for reminding me of this option.....its perfect for long hair!:woot:

OH WOW!!! I had never seen braids the way I do them on youtube! That's exactly it! Although if her hair is bsl the braid will be much longer and if the fake hair is shorter than her hair you have to add more fake hair in towards the end of the braid to make sure all her hair is protected.

/\ Yep exactly, the only difference with long hair would be that you'd continue adding hair untill the length of the hair was braided:yep:....sorry I omitted that part......styling comes so intuitively to me that I forget sometimes to mention the details lol:giggle:

I just *adore* treebraids....I just wanna do it on someone now:lick:

I'm so obsessed with styling....I'm a mess yall:spinning:

Last edited:
I think it just depends on where you are. In florida, alot of times when braiders hear micros, they refer to the hair only braided a few inches and then left out, even though that may not be the technical definition.

I think she did sound kinda shady. Did you tell her you were trying to protective style? Like others said, maybe you can braid it down yourself. Braids are a great way to retain, but of course when the ends are tucked away.

Good Luck!

I mean we know the lady didn't do as good of a job as she could...but I think this statement is completely unfair. Not only that but you are generalizing an entire continent of people. We have to do better..........

I guess what I should've said is that most African braiders that I've met (which is a hell of a lot) do not take the time to make sure the customer is happy with the style. Instead, they are only concerned with putting them in and getting the money. I wouldn't dare generalize an entire continent of people.

We have to stop being so sensitive... :rolleyes:

I'm definitely seeing more retention than I could without them. I probably would see more if I moisturized and sealed but I hate products on my hair so I don't apply anything. That leaves my hair exposed to the elements and so retention isn't as good as it could be.

To get an idea of how well they help me, my hair in April 2007 was about 3 inches stretched:

PressedHair61509-vi.jpg

Once you hit shoulder length, you really do need protective styling to see your hair make any progress IMO, or at least sealing of ends, which I don't do. :sekret:

So in April 2009, my hair hadn't seemed to make much progress from that June pic, but I think for me just being able to wear my stretched hair in a pony is a thrill I never thought I'd ever see:

But still, when I was undoing a braid recently, I was thrilled to see that I just might've finally made APL--or at least my hair looking longer than I have ever seen it:

:lol: at protecting your mom's hair from herself. If her hair gets to shoulder length, one way to protect her ends, besides just sealing is to wear it the way relaxed hair would be worn to protect it: buns, cute updos. If she won't do it, just french braid the braids or cornrow them on the sides again to keep her from "abusing" it kinda like this:

Nonie, you're my She-ro. :hero: I really need to learn how to braid my own hair.:wallbash:

I think there was a communication issue. It's best to let the braider know exactly what you want upfront.

Even though she had 18 inch hair, she could have still done it the way that you wanted, she just would have used more hair. She could have added the braiding hair, braided down a while, and then added another piece of braiding hair, and then continued braiding down to the ends. If done correctly, no one can "see" the add in technique.

That's usually how they do micro braids. She didn't do it wrong. But if that's not what you wanted, that's another can of worms. You're right about your hair being out and manipulated. That's why I don't get micros. They're really for people with shorter hair. If you want braids, I'd get some that are braided to the end.

@ HarySituation OMG! I know this is a tid bit off topic but Holey Flippin Moley I think you have the stash of my dreams...and it's only half!

Well I guess I'll get there one day.... or maybe I shouldn't....

Oooouu you're bad:giggle: why don't you just use a light leave-in spritz?...not even light oil like evco?....I'm not gonna front I found it really annoying to moisturize and seal while I had my crochet PS in I was just like ugh....do I have to....but it did help with retention...I kept it super light, just aussie moist and some EVCO.

PressedHair61509-vi.jpg
Looks great! Excellent progress:yep:

Have you tried sealing with a light oil that will absorb into the hair so that you wont feel weighed down?

Beautiful progress!

Thanks for the tip! Thankfuly once her hair is in the PS she behaves for the most part....except for being diligent about wearing her scarf:rolleyes:

If your mom, joins the forum, I'm so gonna deny I had anything to do with you plotting how to control her hair and protect it from her. :lachen:

In fact, just to be on the safe side, I'ma remove my siggy from this post.

a-Nonie-mous
lmfaooooo @ the siggy:rofl: don't worry, theres no chance she'll be even lurking on here lol....unless this board turns into the we love math forum with threads like differential equations appreciation thread lmaooo...then she'll be all over it:giggle: Its about that time for me to put her hair away in a PS so that they can call her professor fabulous again:cool2: :grin:

Thanks for the insight on micro braids.....I think I may do individual tree braids for her sometime this summer.

Last edited:
ok i use to wear braids ALOT my hair was really long about bsl i would either wear it like she did yours OR she could add more hair halfway down the shaft if this makes sense keep feeding hair in as she braids it will make the hair you had longer she was being LAZY IMO ALL BRAIDERS KNOW THIS

^^Thanks.

Oooouu you're bad:giggle: why don't you just use a light leave-in spritz?...not even light oil like evco?....I'm not gonna front I found it really annoying to moisturize and seal while I had my crochet PS in I was just like ugh....do I have to....but it did help with retention...I kept it super light, just aussie moist and some EVCO.

Have you tried sealing with a light oil that will absorb into the hair so that you wont feel weighed down?

OK, how do I 'splain this? :dork: When I discovered Brenda's regimen (www.blackwomenrejoice.com) about the time I was transitioning, I misunderstood part of the regimen and thought it was totally anti-moisturizer. I took the part that said when your hair felt dry, it was a sign that it needed to be washed and just made that my law. Washing wasn't always w/ shampoo but it also involved CWs. In fact, I learned about CWing from Brenda two years before I joined the forum. Following that regimen and regular trimming, I saw my hair grow to a length I have never witnessed in the 30+ years of my life.

But what's more, I developed a love for clean, product-free hair. I wore braids at the time I was discovered the regimen/was transitioning and not having oils on my neck and clothes became a joy to behold. My skin cleared too and as long as the hair is hanging down by my face, smelling nothing but conditioner and being able to have it touch my face without it then looking like I just buttered it...or leaning on furniture, walls, windows and not leaving grease marks became an experience I'm just not ready to give up.

But all hope's not lost. If I can get into the habit of not wearing my extensions down but in the cornrowed do I posted 24/7, maybe...just maybe...I could moisturize/seal the ends of my hair coz they'd be buried in the rope part of the braid and so I'd not even have to feel them. I even tried once to leave a bit of conditioner in my hair to see if I liked that but I couldn't last a few hours. Had to go wash my hair at work with no towel handy just to feel normal again. And as if that wasn't bad enough, I broke out on the sides of my face where my "conditioner' hair was touching. :nono:

Old habits die hard...so when I get serious about growing long hair, I'll 100% commit to wearing my braids up with ends sealed. Right now I'm having too much fun being lazy and having clean hair that doesn't attract dirt much to feel like doing anything extra.

Next time, just ask for small box braids. Every African braider I have ever been to equates micros with leaving the hair out and braiding all the way down to box braids. And you can let them know exactly how small you want them. The would just be micro box braids.

Also, every braider I've ever gone to has completed the first braid and asked me if that was what I wanted before she finished my whole head.

I am sorry this happened to you, but I really think that you have to step up and accept that you let it happen, no? If you knew it wasn't what you wanted, why didn't you stop her and explain? We have to stop being silent enablers! I know I've let it happen one too many times myself, walked away mad, and losing a grip of money - because I let it happen. Never no' mo'!!

Who told you microbraids aren't braided to the ends? I have been wearing microbraids for years and all they are are braids that are micro small. A lot of people may not braid to the ends because they want the waves of the extension hair to show, but that doesn't mean that's what makes the braids microbraids. It's the size of the braids that makes them microbraids.

I didn't need to Google this coz I know it as if it's my middle name but I did it anyway, and these were the first images that popped up:
Micro_Braids.jpg

micro-braids.jpg

That people don't braid to the end is just their choice not because that's what micros are supposed to be.
this is true, it is the size, but when MOST people go to get micros (emphasis on non-LHCF members/braiders) they are not looking to get them done to the ends. since you humored me and searched, your google results should have also given you these:

500x500

micro-braid-styles-01.jpg

see how they are not braided to the ends?

anyway, it is a matter of semantics. your micro braids work for you, and they look great -- but others have echoed what i mean when i say micros, espeically those done at the shop, are generally for shorter hair. BMP said exactly what i was going for here:
Very true, microbraids do just refer to the size of the braids however when most people reference contemporary micro's the kind where only the top is braided is what they invision. For some reason, extension braids that are done to the end are kinda dullsville to me:ohwell:....kinda makes you look like a 90s throwback too:look: imo. If I'm gonna braid to the end then I'd much rather just do it with my own hair.....if I'm adding extension hair may as well play with a different/new texture for a minute.....jmho
no one's trying to take away the glory of what YOU do, i'm just saying OP probably didn't go into the shop with what you demonstrate in your pictures in mind.

I guess what I should've said is that most African braiders that I've met (which is a hell of a lot) do not take the time to make sure the customer is happy with the style. Instead, they are only concerned with putting them in and getting the money. I wouldn't dare generalize an entire continent of people.

We have to stop being so sensitive... :rolleyes:

You make an asinine comment and then tell people to stop being sensitive?

I’ve gone to millions of braiders - the cheaper they are the crappier the job is. Clearly the many (African) braiders you have gone to have done a shoddy job, but you get what you pay for. Many a time we expect champagne on a beer budget; hence we get disappointed when we don’t get positive results

I think micro's are only for shorter hair, the only way it looks nice is when they only braid a few inches and release the hair....once your hair is BSL you can't get that look the old fashioned way....the best way to get the micro look when your hair is longer is to do crochet braids.....briading it to the end kinda makes it lose its effect.

The braider should have been knowlegeable enough to inform you of that.

This is interesting, because I think of crochet braids as old school. My mom used to get my hair braided in crochet braids when I was a kid (1990's) and I hated them. They were heavy and as a kid, I thought of it as a lazy hairstyle. I prefferred individual (box) braids.

Yours look very nice, though. It seems like crochet braids are making a comeback. Overall, I prefer regular cornrows. I wish and pray that they would come back in style.

OP - when I used to get my hair braided or twisted, I always made the braider braid to the end of my hair, but my hair was only shoulder length. I do generally think of micros as having the hair left out at the end.

O/T Nonie do you like Snape (Alan Rickman)? Damn there is something extremely sexy about that man! I prefer him without the Harry Potter get up though - he was gorgeous in Pride & Prejudice *sigh*

To the OP, I'm so sorry you got conned like this - I hope you sort it out! :)

O/T Nonie do you like Snape (Alan Rickman)? Damn there is something extremely sexy about that man! I prefer him without the Harry Potter get up though - he was gorgeous in Pride & Prejudice *sigh*

To the OP, I'm so sorry you got conned like this - I hope you sort it out! :)

Do I like Snape! *pant, pant, pant...swoons*:eek:ver18:

Truthfully...I wouldn't have gotten microbraids with my own hair being that long anyways. Every braider around here has told me that as well..they don't like to do it to very long hair because of the higher probability of the hair sticking out breaking off, or someone taking them down improperly (scissors), and crying later because their hair is shorter and uneven on top of that.

this is true, it is the size, but when MOST people go to get micros (emphasis on non-LHCF members/braiders) they are not looking to get them done to the ends. since you humored me and searched, your google results should have also given you these:

500x500

micro-braid-styles-01.jpg

see how they are not braided to the ends?

anyway, it is a matter of semantics. your micro braids work for you, and they look great -- but others have echoed what i mean when i say micros, espeically those done at the shop, are generally for shorter hair. BMP said exactly what i was going for here:

no one's trying to take away the glory of what YOU do, i'm just saying OP probably didn't go into the shop with what you demonstrate in your pictures in mind.

OK, I'm going to try this one more time and then I quit.

MICRObraids are braids that are done so small that they deserve to get the prefix of Greek origin that refers to objects that are smaller than what would be considered norm, ie relatively microscopic. That some people do not braid to the end, either because that's the look they like or the stylist is too lazy to sacrifice all that time is neither here nor there. That's just how some people do their microbraids.

I mean, if I braided big fat braids and then didn't braid them to the end, we wouldn't call those microbraids, would we? Why?Because they are not small enough to be called micro.

So unless we're going to start changing what words in English are supposed to convey, let's not be so narrow-minded as to completely shut out the possibility that just coz in our corner micros come in that fashion, that is the gospel of what they are and no one else is right.

Yes, I saw the images you posted following the ones I found when I Googled micro. My point of posting just the ones that show braided-to-the-end microbraids was to show you what I thought you'd never seen being called microbraids and hopefully expand your view.

Another site that sort of shows the variety of braids available is this one and you will see that microbraids encompass both kinds of braids (braided to the end or not): http://www.wazionline.com/

BTW, now that I know there's such confusion about what microbraids are, I'll be sure to warn anyone I know planning to get braids to carry a photo and make sure whoever is doing her hair is on the same wavelength they are on. OP didn't do anything wrong. Her stylist needs to be more aware of the diversity of styles that fall under "microbraid". :rolleyes:

Nonie,

Technically you are right. But truthfully, the semantics is the actual issue. It doesn't matter if every body on the hair board has a proper, literal understanding of the meaning of a microbraid if the braider you are paying considers it to be something completely different. And typically, the African braiders (at least in NY - Harlem to be precise) understand micros to be left out, and box braids to be braided all the way down. Doesn't mean that box braids can't be micros, but the patron needs to speak up if they are not getting what they presume to be what we all understand.

Period.

Just like black folks the world over call relaxers 'perms' when perms curl the hair, not take the kink out...but we all know what we mean when we hear perm coming from a black person, don't we?

Back