Did she braid my hair wrong???

She could have always just fed more hair in, so that it's longer. Simular concept to no knot cornrows and tree braids. Haven't read every page, but I hope she was able to redo your hair to your liking. If we're paying people for their services we should get what we want.

Using the 18" hair, if she braided your hair all the way down, they would be box braids with human hair. It would be hard to make sure the hair doesn't unravel if it was braided all the way down. Most Africans don't care about how the finished product looks, they just want to get paid for the work.

When she pulled out the 18" hair instead of the 20", that should've been a clue that this wasn't going to turn out the way you wanted... The only thing I can tell you is to braid the hair all the way down to see if you like it. If you do, you can play up the ends by doing a rod set.

I hope this helps, and sorry your hair didn't turn out the way you wanted.

I can not believe how rude and racist some of you people are! I (might I add like many people on this board) am african and proud of it. There is no need to make such comments in a public arena.
OP you did not get ripped off, it is a hairstyle that is very popular and that I often wear where you only braid the first few inches of hair. This is obviously not what you wanted and you should really have told her there and then but be considerate when you speak the average person isn't concerned about 'protective styling'! I guess now the only thing you can do is go back and explain what you want to her. Either way I think it is unecessary to disrespect people's work and worse yet their race on a public message board.

Nonie,

Technically you are right. But truthfully, the semantics is the actual issue. It doesn't matter if every body on the hair board has a proper, literal understanding of the meaning of a microbraid if the braider you are paying considers it to be something completely different. And typically, the African braiders (at least in NY - Harlem to be precise) understand micros to be left out, and box braids to be braided all the way down. Doesn't mean that box braids can't be micros, but the patron needs to speak up if they are not getting what they presume to be what we all understand.

Period.

Just like black folks the world over call relaxers 'perms' when perms curl the hair, not take the kink out...but we all know what we mean when we hear perm coming from a black person, don't we?

I do realize that semantics were the issue, hence my stating that I know now that it is best to go with a photo of what you want, or as you state, speak up if you are not getting the look you like. But what I found surprising is all the time we have discussed microbraids in this forum--and if you look up every thread ever posted on microbraids on LHCF post July 2003, chances are I've been in there rambling about a topic I feel very "at home" with--not once did anyone challenge me on what microbraids are or did it ever occur to me that there are some people who exclude some micros because of how far they are braided.

So my posting was just to let those who knew only part of the story know there's more to it than just "ends left loose"--info I know I would have appreciated if I also only knew part of the story. I love to learn and to share knowledge so realizing that "microbraids" were not fully understood led me to want to share the little more I knew. And yes, I have learned something too: that in some parts of this world, microbraids are never braided to the end.

Just like black folks the world over call relaxers 'perms' when perms curl the hair, not take the kink out...but we all know what we mean when we hear perm coming from a black person, don't we?

Don't kill me, but I love language so can't help it when I see something I wanna discuss.

That "perms" actually curl hair is really just a deduction from what perms were initially created for. The word "perm" came from "permanent wave" and indeed perms permanently changed the structure of hair strands of people with straight hair to make it curly/wavy. Since I suppose that was the first hair texture change to be made permanent, then getting a perm came to be associated with curling one's hair, and for a lot of people, it still does.

But when hair is permanently changed from curly/coily to straight, it is also being permanently changed, so in time, as language evolved, perms came to include permanently straightening hair.

In the UK, I remember having to state at the salon whether I wanted a straight perm (relaxer) or a curly perm (jheri curl) when I went to see a stylist to get my virgin hair chemically processed.

If you look up the word "perm", you will see its current definition is to give hair a "permanent". :look: And if you look up the word permanent, you will see some of these definitions, which I found interesting coz even one that includes "making hair straight" still refers to perming as being also known as "permanent wave":

• Any of several long-lasting hair styles usually achieved by chemical applications which straighten, curl, or wave the hair. (Source)

• A long-lasting hair wave or straightening produced by mechanical and chemical means —called also permanent wave (Source)

Last edited:
Why would I kill you? Healthy engagement is good :yep:.

Your example is a good one...but actually serves two purposes. In highlighting your point about the evolution of the association and thereby definition of permanent, it is now officially classified as both. The permanent wave was by no means initially equated with permanently straightening hair. That is, even by your admission, a deduction.

I think the same can hold true of this topic, but in reverse almost. Micros are meant to be all encompassing of all tiny braids, but by association of the major stylists that often implement them, they have been relegated to mean a very specific type of braid within the tiny braid spectrum. By association, they mean when the hair is left out. Do I agree with it? No. But I for dang sure make my intentions perfectly clear because I know the person implementing what I am asking for might make the same full association as me.

I agree with you overall. It's just literal meanings, IMO, do not always translate 1-on-1 when it comes to practicality, hence the OPs dilemma!

Last edited:
I guess what I should've said is that most African braiders that I've met (which is a hell of a lot) do not take the time to make sure the customer is happy with the style. Instead, they are only concerned with putting them in and getting the money. I wouldn't dare generalize an entire continent of people.

We have to stop being so sensitive... :rolleyes:

Its not about being sensitive...its about facts and the way your statement was perceived. It doesn't matter how many african braiders YOU have met...generalization is still generalization. Have you met every african braider in the world and sat down in their chair??? Don't worry I'll wait........ Anywho thanks for your clarification. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi, I HAVE TO ANSWER CAUSE IT HAPPENDED TO ME ! i know how you feel and i was so annoyed,even up to today? The hairdresser that did my hair did a mess.i also wanted braids all over as a protective style that means convering my hair to the end! the woman was like "your hair is a little longer than others so it will be more expensive and all that... i told her to plait till the end! guess what it looked good but when o got home and sprayed my hair with my vaporiser ,my natural hairs started sticking out and she left a lot out!!!! she even did the knots on my real hair+ leaving some out! A TOTAL MESS. i had to cut my hair ,it was damaged plus some stuck in knots. my hair grew quick while i wore braids, but for nothing cos i trimmed it!

This is interesting, because I think of crochet braids as old school. My mom used to get my hair braided in crochet braids when I was a kid (1990's) and I hated them. They were heavy and as a kid, I thought of it as a lazy hairstyle. I prefferred individual (box) braids.

Yours look very nice, though. It seems like crochet braids are making a comeback.
Thanks.....I get that ALOT lol my version is light and modern....it was a great time....I put two installs of them in back to back for a total of two months and I finally took them down this weekend and I'm currently enjoying a nice press:yep:

Overall, I prefer regular cornrows. I wish and pray that they would come back in style.

OP - when I used to get my hair braided or twisted, I always made the braider braid to the end of my hair, but my hair was only shoulder length. I do generally think of micros as having the hair left out at the end.
I'm with you!:grin:

Wow... I didn't realize my thread went so long after I stopped checking it... lol --but let me clarify some things:

I DID tell this chick exactly what i wanted. She said okay. She had done my hair before, so I thought we would have another successful transaction. HOWEVER... She was lazy because she DID know what I wanted and SHE neglected to tell me the hair was not long enough until AFTER she had done the back and right portion of my hair. That's why she did it like that, she knew I would not let her start my hair so she kept quiet. I had to pay extra money for each pack of human hair she used in my head, so why would she tell me she didn't have the right length and risk me walking out, taking all the money with me. She was a sneeky woman... she knew what she was doing.

I can not believe how rude and racist some of you people are! I (might I add like many people on this board) am african and proud of it. There is no need to make such comments in a public arena.
OP you did not get ripped off, it is a hairstyle that is very popular and that I often wear where you only braid the first few inches of hair. This is obviously not what you wanted and you should really have told her there and then but be considerate when you speak the average person isn't concerned about 'protective styling'! I guess now the only thing you can do is go back and explain what you want to her. Either way I think it is unecessary to disrespect people's work and worse yet their race on a public message board.

YES! I DID GET RIPPED OFF because as I said in the original post and again in this response, I told her what I wanted and she did what she did on purpose. She needed the money, she didn't even have enough to pay her vendor while I was there and had to get the money from me before she finished my hair. NUMBER TWO --> I TOLD YOU I DID TELL HER and number THREE, I AM THE OP, pay attention to who made the racial comments, it was NOT me... read before you rant.

In other turns of events, she said she would have to charge me more to go back and do it... because that time would be spent normally on other clients and i was taking up a slot. PLUS this hair she used is like, dry rotting or something... it is sooooo dry and it itches my neck. I can't figure out how to take these damn knots out of my hair. She did it just like those knots on the tree braid tutorial on youtube that someone posted earlier, but the knots are on MY HAIR!!!! and my hair is still hanging down below the knot.

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE OUT HOW TO TAKE OUT THE KNOTS!!!!

Wow, OP, I'm so sorry. I don't know about knotting while braiding so not sure how you can take them out. I'm thinking DCing till they soften and slide out? Oil? Don't try either till someone who's dealt with knots in hair chimes in.

I'm so sorry this turned out to be quite a fiasco. And I'm on the same page as you as I too believe she knew she was messing your hair up. I mean, even someone like me who's not in the business of doing hair knew not to do what she did long before I joined hair forums. :rolleyes:

Anyway, just bumping this up for you in case someone can help you take the knots out. :bighug:

OP I think next time you should do DIY senegalese twists or tree braids:yep:...there are awesome tutorials on youtube.

Sorry I don't have any advice for the knots:ohwell:....good luck!

I think you're confusing micros braid with invisible braids. It is invisible braids that are not braided to the ends but only the beginning then hair is left out.
No, where I live microbraids only refer to braids that are small and braided down at a maximum about 3 inches. Invisible braids are braided down a maximum of 3/4 an inch. Here, we would refer to your braids as individual braids with the ends loose (usually the ends are styled is some other way: rods, crinkled, etc.) I assumed based on her description of the braids that they were the same as what we locally refer to as microbraids. Pictures would have helped though :grin:

This is what I got when I typed "microbraids" into ask.com

2002_microbraids.jpg

No, where I live microbraids only refer to braids that are small and braided down at a maximum about 3 inches. Invisible braids are braided down a maximum of 3/4 an inch. Here, we would refer to your braids as individual braids with the ends loose (usually the ends are styled is some other way: rods, crinkled, etc.) I assumed based on her description of the braids that they were the same as what we locally refer to as microbraids. Pictures would have helped though :grin:

This is what I got when I typed "microbraids" into ask.com

2002_microbraids.jpg

:giggle: We went through this already. Microbraids are braids that are micro. Some people braid them to the end. Some don't. Both kinds are microbraids. If you type the word "microbraids" in Google Search you get both. In fact the ones braided to the end come up first. But that doesn't mean they are more micros than the ones that don't braid to the end. It's just that in different parts, some folks know that the name applies to all micro-sized braids, while in some parts they think it only applies to braids not braided to the end. (Serious question: Does that mean where you live that even big braids not braided to the ends are also called microbraids? Just trying to learn so I know how to be uber clear should I ever find myself in your neck of the woods needing to communicate about braids with folks. )

Last edited:
:giggle: We went through this already. Microbraids are braids that are micro. Some people braid them to the end. Some don't. Both kinds are microbraids. If you type the word "microbraids" in Google Search you get both. In fact the ones braided to the end come up first. But that doesn't mean they are more micros than the ones that don't braid to the end. It's just that in different parts, some folks know that the name applies to all micro-sized braids, while in some parts they think it only applies to braids not braided to the end. (Serious question: Does that mean where you live that even big braids not braided to the ends are also called microbraids? Just trying to learn so I know how to be uber clear should I ever find myself in your neck of the woods needing to communicate about braids with folks. )

You used google.com, I used ask.com. As I explained before, where I live those braids that are pictured in my post are what people call microbraids. In size and appearance. :look: Also as I explained the ends are styled differently depending on the hair used and what you do to the hair after its put in (crinkled, rodded, wet n wavy, etc) If you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods, you still wouldn't require a braider since you do your own :look: But for people who may have trouble communicating with thier braider I suggest taking in a picture of what you want done. As we both know, a quick internet seach should provide adequate visual aid. :look:

Back