Did you have short hair as a child but it's long now?

Did you have short hair as a child but now it's long?

• Yes. My hair has flourished greatly since then

Votes: 48 39.3%
  • No. I had short hair as a child and short hair now.

Votes: 21 17.2%
  • No. Had long hair as a child but now it doesn't seem to grow as much.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • Long hair then, long hair now.

Votes: 34 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DragonPearl

I had chin length hair as a child. As an adult, I had hair barely, I mean BARELY touching shoulders at its longest and healthiest.

Then I finally figured out how to care for my type of thin, babylike hair (going natural, never combing it dry, only combing it when soaking with conditioner and always detangling the ends first), and my hair has grown to between APL and BS.

Last edited:

gymfreak336

All of my life, I kept my hair short. I would always get it cut not matter if I was natural and just getting it pressed or if I had it relaxed. My hair is now almost shoulder length and it is longer than it has ever been. I contribute my progress to actually learning how to take care of my hair.

OneInAMillion

I had healthy shoulder length hair as a child. It always looked nice, but it just kind of hovered around shoulder length and I always assumed that was the hair length that I was going to have. Since thenm I've seen a tremendous difference in length (I'm a tad past APL, but to me it's a big difference).

Sincerely_Ciara

Long hair then, short hair now. If I wasn't so desperate to get a just for me perm, then maybe I would be able to say the complete opposite. I wish I would have stayed natural though. I am thinking about transitioning but still haven't made a definite decision.

Softresses

I had very short hair as a child. It was so soft that no one but my grandmother would even try to deal with it. Then it caught on fire and everyone just gave up. My hair was a mess all through out school until I took control of it in my junior/senior years of highschool. I cut it all off and started over with a little curly fro. From that point on it was a short hair style, I went from the curly fro to the Halle cut, then what ever the stylist would do.

I did not start to grow my hair out till I got tired of all the damage the stylists were doing, and took control of my own hair again.

Softresses

pistachio

My hair was neck length up until the last three years. From there, I decided to grow my hair out. Each new length I gain becomes the longest my hair's been...

dlewis

My mother had short hair as a child and now her hair is past BSL. Everybody decided to grow their hair out when I decided too.:)

Radianthealth

candiel said:
I was born with a lot of hair, had BSL hair as a child and in high school.Now, I'm trying to get it to get back to that.

This is funny to me, I found myself describing a child's hair as BSL when little girls don't even wear Bras

Anyway, Before the age of 4 I had healthy hair that my family called long even though it was only shoulder length. After that, I have always had short hair between ear and neck length:( . I was teased a lot because of my hair, it was never done or my mom would put styles in that were extremely Afrocentric and the kids just didn't get it. My hair is now collarbone length. This is the longest it has ever been in my entire life.

Radianthealth

Sincerely_Ciara said:
Long hair then, short hair now. If I wasn't so desperate to get a just for me perm, then maybe I would be able to say the complete opposite. I wish I would have stayed natural though. I am thinking about transitioning but still haven't made a definite decision.

I love your siggy pic, I feel like I can relate even though I have never been pregnant:look: :lachen:

pinkdot's blog

When I was in elementary school I had already been through curls, perms, and braids. I wore braids until I was 17. :mad: When I was in the 12th grade I wore glue in tracks in my hair. :mad: :mad: My hair was growing but it was always breaking. I didn't wash my hair often. Maybe I washed it once a month. Needless to say my hair was short.:nono: I'm sad to say that this is the longest my hair has ever been. But I'm blessed because I found out about this web sight. :yay: I straitened my hair about two weeks ago. This is the longest my hair has ever been. :( I wish I would have found out about this years ago. But there's hope!:bouncy:

Attachments

• Feb.Back.jpg
    Feb.Back.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

MissFallon

My hair was mid-back from a child to when I was 18. At 18 I cut it to somewhere between APL and BSL. It remained between apl and bsl until I got a weave in July of 05 and after taking it out I was left with SL hair. I always took pretty good care of my hair but it never grew because I loved to do blowouts on my hair and when I discovered the flat iron in college I used it every day almost. I retained length but not a lot. Now that I've cut out the daily flatironing and blowouts I'm back on track.

Lavendar

Short hair as a child all the way to early 20's, no longer than ear length. I started learning to care for my hair then. My poor mama knew nada about how to comb, care for, or style hair. It's the longest it's ever been right now.

getmoore

As a child I had almost 2 inches of hair at my longest! I remember having the shortest hair in my class.Now I'm about an inch and a half from waist length! I was soooo envious of the other little girls with their long swinging ponytails.:perplexed

Guyaneek

I'm really inspired by all of the ladies who said they started short and now are long. I never had long hair as a child. Just below shoulder length most of the time but always unhealthy. Its not long now but it is going to be ;)

bluwatersoul

My hair was always short as a child - maybe just shoulder length. But it was also always healthy and beautiful. My mom would wash and braid my hair(4a superfine with MAJOR shrinkage - can you say OUCH:eek: ) and I would go to school feeling bad because all I had was braids, and girls in my class had long ponytails and twists or jumprope braids with barettes and click clacks in them. However, ADULTS (not kids) would always compliment me on how pretty my hair was. I just wished it were longer.

I am still wishing - I have always hovered around shoulder length, its the plateau I have to break through. Trying to keep it pretty and healthy, too
!

itismehmmkay

I've never had shoulder-length hair :ohwell: I'm sure this is why I'm a bit obsessive and insecure about hair in general.

Since New Year's, I have been wearing my hair pulled back in a neat phony.

Everything is healthier because of it :yep:

missnappylady

My hair was short as a child. It's still not long but, it's the longer now than I remember it ever been. :)

Last edited:

bablou00

My hair stayed short thru out my childhood. My hair was so hard to deal w/ my mom slapped a relaxer in my hair and hot combed it all the time. I after seeing Hallie Berry wanted short hair so I cut it myself then it was down hill from there. I relaxed too much, used too much heat, didnt know a damn thing about taking care of my hair. Thank goodness I found this site because this is the longest my hair has ever been. Hopefully it will continue to grow. But I have a long way to go

IMFOCSD

I picked short hair as a child and short hair now but thanks to LHCF my hair is the thickest it has ever been and it is growing quite well. I guess how your hair was as a child has nothing to do with how your hair will be later on in life.

PhonyBaloney500

It was "longish" as a child. By that I mean it was longer than most of the other black girls except for one (about sholder length) . Hovered around sholder length for years and in the last three years or so it's reached armpit and now is a bit beyond that, undoubtably because of the many tips I picked up here.

tkj25

like most boys, my hair was kept cut short, shaved, 'lil afro -- especially since my mom said i had that rough stuff, and my dad would bring me to tears on those rare occasion he'd get ahold of my head. in my teens i discovered the jehri curl/wave nouveau and my parents let me start growing it out a little. looking back now it was basically a mullet/shag cut -- short on the sides/top & neck length in the back.:lol: but you couldn't tell me nothin':lachen: in college i let it grow out all over, layered, switching between curls, texturized & permed. as a natural i've been able to grow it the longest, and thickest its ever been, and that was 16 - 18 in. (btwn shoulder blades). after shaving it bald, i'm now growing it out again, with a goal of waist length twists.

nikkivale

I was practically bald until I was about 4. then my hair fell out again when I was 7. I had a lot of illnesses as a child and medication made my hair come out a lot. it did grow back but it was never past my neck due to bad hair practices by my mom and eventually me.

BostonMaria

I had long thick waist length hair as a child. My mom slapped a relaxer on it when I was 10...by age 11 my hair was neck length. My mom was too busy caring for 2 babies and didn't have time to do my hair anymore so she relaxed it. She barely washed my natural hair and. It thrived (it was always in a bun), but unfortunately you can't neglect hair with a relaxer and my hair was always falling out.

Then in my 20s I figured out how to care for my hair. When my hair was relaxed it was always very pretty, but never grew past shoulder length or close to APL. It was my own fault for not doing my own hair and relying every week on hairdressers. Now I'm natural and APL, very close to BSL. My goal is to have waist length hair again! I'll be there by the fall of 2009.

Last edited:

Dia

From as far as I can remember to about 9 years old (before relaxer), I had very big, coarse, and thick 4b hair that was between APL and below shoulder blade. After my first relaxer (from about 10 years old) I never saw that length or anything close to it. Now, at 23 years old, I feel so blessed and thankful for LHCF. After 1 year of my hair care journey starting from ear length, I am now 2-3 inches away from APL. I can't wait to reach my BSB-MBL goals!

God bless all of you!