Short Hair as a Child, Long Hair Now

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
I'd like to know how many of you ladies did not have long hair when you were a kid, but have been able to get to your goal length by taking care of your hair.

If you did have long hair, was it well taken care of?

__

I know that I'm one of those people who can say that my (or my sister's) 4b/c hair never grew past the bottom of my neck. But when I think about how my hair was treated, I understand why completely:
--Our hair was washed maybe once a month, then pressed with petrolatum/mineral oil products.
--I don't recall moisturizers ever being used on our hair (unless it was to detangle after a wash), let alone on a daily basis :blush:.
--Our hair was basically brushed everyday with cheapie brushes. (major Cathy Howse "no-no")
--I wore synthetic braids a lot, but again, never washed and didn't moisturize.
--Some summers I swam twice a day at camp and rarely even washed the chlorine out of my hair
--When I started getting relaxers, they wouldn't just do the new growth, but would apply the perm to all the hair (!)
--Bad eating habits...

All these things give me hope that I can move from being a collarbone-length natural to beyond BSL. Any other child haircare stories?

P.S.--Bless our mothers' hearts, they did what they knew best.

Last edited:

prospurr4

Yeah..that title describes me! As a child, my hair was scraggly, bottom-of-neck length and now, I'm a couple inches from being waistlength.

Growing up, my hair was washed every two weeks then pressed with a hot curling iron (the kind you put on the stove) after applying Dixie Peach hair grease. I still remember the "sizzle" sound and the "burnt" smell as my hair was being straightened, and I constantly had burns on my ears.:nono: When I got older, I had my own electric curling iron that I used on a daily basis to touchup my edges and curl my bangs between washings. With all that heat abuse, it's amazing I had any hair at all.

nakialovesshoes

As a child, I wore alot of braids because my mom didn't like for me to have my hair out because it would get so tangled & unmanageable. I would get my hair pressed with a stove hot comb for special occasions only. During those times my hair was collar bone to APL. I didn't get my first relaxer (Revlon in the box) until I was in the 6th or 7th grade.

The longest my hair has ever been was BSL to a little longer than BSL (relaxed) & that was as an adult. I was able to achieve this following Wanakee's Hair Care Program.

carib_n_curly

When i was younger i was way past BSl the shortest my hair has ever being is SL it's getting back to BSL it's get real close.i guess i have always had longish hair or mediumish lenght hair
oh yeah and completely natural all the way through and still now

trenise

Yeah..that title describes me! As a child, my hair was scraggly, bottom-of-neck length and now, I'm a couple inches from being waistlength.

Growing up, my hair was washed every two weeks then pressed with a hot curling iron (the kind you put on the stove) after applying Dixie Peach hair grease. I still remember the "sizzle" sound and the "burnt" smell as my hair was being straightened, and I constantly had burns on my ears.:nono: When I got older, I had my own electric curling iron that I used on a daily basis to touchup my edges and curl my bangs between washings. With all that heat abuse, it's amazing I had any hair at all.

Thanks nicola for starting this thread and thanks so much to prospurr4 for answering. This is the very thing that has been on my mind. My hair is probably 4b and currently just past neck length. In the past, usually before it even got this long it would turn into "doll hair" and break off. I have the memories of the straightening comb sizzle and burned ears too. I only got my hair washed once a year as a child. My mother has somewhat silky hair that is totally different from mine. She did not understand it and never had to deal with someone who had hair like mine. Without a relaxer, that once a year wash was ultimate torture for the both of us. It felt like someone was pulling my brains out!:wallbash:

2themax

This describes my "hair care" treatment to the tee!!! Rarely ever washed it, used "grease" (Petroleum Jelly, Dixie Peach, Lard or whatever) on it, cheap brushes, synthetic braids, straightened with a hot comb on a stove, burnt ears (OUCH!!!!), relaxer(s) to the entire head, etc.

Now, that I'm taking better care of my own hair, it's growing. As a kid, it would not grow past my neck. (If it grew that much, I would think that it was growing :lachen:, then it would just break off again and back to square one:wallbash:
Well, we'll see who get's the last laugh now :grin:. I can relate!

Last edited:

prospurr4

Thanks nicola for starting this thread and thanks so much to prospurr4 for answering. This is the very thing that has been on my mind. My hair is probably 4b and currently just past neck length. In the past, usually before it even got this long it would turn into "doll hair" and break off. I have the memories of the straightening comb sizzle and burned ears too. I only got my hair washed once a year as a child. My mother has somewhat silky hair that is totally different from mine. She did not understand it and never had to deal with someone who had hair like mine. Without a relaxer, that once a year wash was ultimate torture for the both of us. It felt like someone was pulling my brains out!:wallbash:

You're welcome, trenise. I thank God that we now know better about how to take care of our hair.

blazingthru

My hair might have been only long as my shoulders, when we stayed in the south once we moved to the city and my mother had to do my hair it was all down the drain from there, I took matters in my own hands at the age of 9 you can imagine the damage I did after that. I combed my hair with a fork. It got better when I became an adult my hair started growing pretty and thick only I didn't know how to take care of it. I would get it to grow and then do stupid things to it. fast foward to now my hair is a few inches from ARMPIT I am actually going to see armpit in 2008 I can't wait.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
my hair was around necklength shoulder length during childhood. after i came to hair forums my hair was quite close to bsl. my hair is short now because of my bc but im closing in on apl.

~*Tigget*~

A very short jerry curl. I literally looked like "TURBO" from Breaking Electric Boogaloo. ...tell me u remember this.

Well I would get teased something terrible because my hair was always short, like a boy, ppl called me a boy....um I think this thread is bringing up bad memories:lachen::lachen:My brother had more hair than me. And don't let me get a shade darker in the summer, I was looking a hot bald-headed mess!!!

My mom would go from putting a curl on my hair to pressing it w/ the HOT pressing comb w/ a lot a grease. My hair may just be irreversible, with all the chemicals and heat.

I have yet to obtain a "long" length, but I'm waiting in line..i hope i get in.:wallbash::grin:

Ariana4000

I haven't reached my hair goals yet. But as a child my hair was about neck length. My mom has very soft fine hair and mine is medium thick 4a/4b hair. My hair was relaxed and always damaged. I never thought as a teenager I would be able to wear my hair out at even shoulder length. Just a constant mess all the time.

soonergirl

A very short jerry curl. I literally looked like "TURBO" from Breaking Electric Boogaloo. ...tell me u remember this.

Well I would get teased something terrible because my hair was always short, like a boy, ppl called me a boy....um I think this thread is bringing up bad memories:lachen::lachen:My brother had more hair than me. And don't let me get a shade darker in the summer, I was looking a hot bald-headed mess!!!

My mom would go from putting a curl on my hair to pressing it w/ the HOT pressing comb w/ a lot a grease. My hair may just be irreversible, with all the chemicals and heat.

I have yet to obtain a "long" length, but I'm waiting in line..i hope i get in.:wallbash::grin:

Okay you had me crackin up!!!I too had chewed up dirty hair that was washed every 2 weeks... I too got the press and curl, an all day event with a mother who had 3a hair, and didnt know how to comb naps, let alone press... My hair was neck length and nappy...I hope to be mbl one day, my hair currently is the longest its EVER been...

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
Okay you had me crackin up!!!I too had chewed up dirty hair that was washed every 2 weeks... I too got the press and curl, an all day event with a mother who had 3a hair, and didnt know how to comb naps, let alone press... My hair was neck length and nappy...

I'm thinking we could start a whole 'nother thread about bad childhood pressing comb stories--burnt ears, vaseline and all--but thank goodness we don't have to live through that any more.:yay:

carletta

ditto :ohwell: the exact same thing done to me too !

:nono: THE OLE FRIED DYED-N-LAID TO THA SIDE ! :nono:

I would go to school smelling like fried hair grease & smoke..........and the lenght WAS NEVER PAST MY NECK TOO !

Moisture2608

OMG!!! I had a very similar childhood as you!!! Wow!!!???!!! I'm also 4B, and my mom has that silky hair and she hated washing my hair (because it wasn't like hers and she didn't know what to do with mine). Well, when she did wash it, it was COMPLETE TORTURE (for the both of us).

Wow, girl, when I read your quote I was like ~ "That's me, that's me". :lachen:

Anyway ~ back to the topic yup, I had short as a child and now my hair is past my shoulders after a BC last year. Heat was the main culprit back in the day that kept my hair short.

JuicesN'Berries

I think most of all we should be thankful that all of our beautiful daughters will not have to go through this...You can start them off right and then show them the way...

BTW you guys are hilarious, however I do know that for some of you these are really painful memories. Black women sure did and do have a lot of things against us....our hair and the people responsible for taking care of it....

FluffyRed

Thank you for starting this thread. Brittleness and overprocessing have been my main impediments. Cowashing every 3 days is key for me. Not at the "Longer hair" stage yet. But I'm just sayin'

Last edited:

SmartyPants

My hair might have been only long as my shoulders, when we stayed in the south once we moved to the city and my mother had to do my hair it was all down the drain from there, I took matters in my own hands at the age of 9 you can imagine the damage I did after that. I combed my hair with a fork. It got better when I became an adult my hair started growing pretty and thick only I didn't know how to take care of it. I would get it to grow and then do stupid things to it. fast foward to now my hair is a few inches from ARMPIT I am actually going to see armpit in 2008 I can't wait.

Okay... wait... will you please explain HOW you combed your hair with a fork?!:lachen::lachen::lachen:

P

Paradox

I believe my poor diet during my childhood contributed my slow hair growth. I think I am supposed to be taller also, but I didn't receive proper nutrition :( We were too broke.

Anancy

I have to say, when i think back to how my mum took care of my hair i was lucky. It was not until i took over that my hair went to crap.

I had thick fairly long hair as a child. My mum would style my hair in protective styles every week. It was only on rare occassions i was allowed to wear my hair out in a ponytail (and that was very rare like on my birthdays or something). When i would unleash my hair, ppl would be touching and tugging at it going wow your hair is long.
Now this is debatable, but she only washed my hair maybe every two weeks, and i remember her trying to comb my hair, and how painful it would be because of the shrinkage. My sisters hair is worse, her hair is more kinky than mine. Oh and when i went wimming i had to wear a swimming cap to keep the chlorine from getting to my hair (i don't think that worked).
Moisterising was important to her although she wasn't religious about it, she would use that indian grease Allways or something and just rub it into my scalp every few days.
I had a good diet, no sweets, chocolates, mcdonalds etc i mostly had those behind her back lol.

So yea i would say my mum did a pretty good job, and now that im natural again, im trying to practice some of the things she did along with the information im getting from LHCF.

Evolving78

my mother did what she could, but she just didn't properly take care of my hair. my hair was so soft and fine and she was constantly pressing it and my hair couldn't take all of that heat and she wasn't moisturizing it and conditioning it right neither. she was using that blow dryer from hell, burning and drying out my poor little strands. when i started taking care of my hair the right way, she felt it wouldn't grow, but i proved her and the rest of my family wrong. i thing anyone's hair can grow long, if it can't, that is because of a deficiency. a person just has to know what works for the certain hair type and take care of it. see she was just worried about styling my hair.

MissNina

Libra Girl

Daaaaang, you were on some straight LITTLE MERMAID ish, huh?!?! How YOU doing, Ariel?? How's Eric and Flounder?

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Arcadian

I really don't blame my mother because I had super crazy hair. It was fine, it broke a lot, and she never had to deal with that. My sister had very long hair like her own.

Anyway, my hair never made it past ear length growing up. Pressing it didn't do much help but neither did all the other stuff (especially the grease!)

I keep cutting my hair back to APL because I can manage my hair easier, but its been close to BSL (I cut it at my last touchup) It looks a little anemic to me at longer lengths.

-A

CurliDiva

I remember getting my hair washed at the kitchen sink with whatever was handy (including dish soap) once per month. :ohwell:

My hair was thick and I was tender-headed (as the old folks would say) so my mom would make 3 ponytails - 1 on the top with the end sticking straight up (like a horn :nono:) if it was not pinned and 2 on each side in the back.

All ......and I mean ALL .......of my childhood photos (from toddler to the 6th grade) has this same hairstyle.

I only got my hair straighten on special occasions (like Easter) by my grandmother! It would be long, but full of grease. Brings back memories of the sound of the sizzle, holding your ear and hot grease dripping your scalp!

CurliDiva

I remember getting my hair washed at the kitchen sink with whatever was handy (including dish soap) once per month. :ohwell:

My hair was thick and I was tender-headed (as the old folks would say) so my mom would make 3 ponytails - 1 on the top with the end sticking straight up (like a horn :nono:) if it was not pinned and 2 on each side in the back.

All ......and I mean ALL .......of my childhood photos (from toddler to the 6th grade) has this same hairstyle.

I only got my hair straighten on special occasions (like Easter) by my grandmother! It would be long, but full of grease. Brings back memories of the sound of the sizzle, holding your ear and hot grease dripping your scalp!

KweenBeeDiva

I have to say, when i think back to how my mum took care of my hair i was lucky. It was not until i took over that my hair went to crap.

I had thick fairly long hair as a child. My mum would style my hair in protective styles every week. It was only on rare occassions i was allowed to wear my hair out in a ponytail (and that was very rare like on my birthdays or something). When i would unleash my hair, ppl would be touching and tugging at it going wow your hair is long.
Now this is debatable, but she only washed my hair maybe every two weeks, and i remember her trying to comb my hair, and how painful it would be because of the shrinkage. My sisters hair is worse, her hair is more kinky than mine. Oh and when i went wimming i had to wear a swimming cap to keep the chlorine from getting to my hair (i don't think that worked).
Moisterising was important to her although she wasn't religious about it, she would use that indian grease Allways or something and just rub it into my scalp every few days.
I had a good diet, no sweets, chocolates, mcdonalds etc i mostly had those behind her back lol.

So yea i would say my mum did a pretty good job, and now that im natural again, im trying to practice some of the things she did along with the information im getting from LHCF.

Same here! ...except for the diet part. We ate nutritious...but my grandmothers houses were in walking distance. No amount of arguing would come between them handing over sweets. Ahhhh..the good ol' days.

But yes, this is me to the point!

CurliDiva

CurliDiva

I only got my hair straighten on special occasions (like Easter) by my grandmother! It would be long, but full of grease. :spinning: Brings back memories of the sound of the sizzle, holding your ear and hot grease dripping your scalp!

CurliDiva

I only got my hair straighten on special occasions (like Easter) by my grandmother! It would be long, but full of grease. :spinning: Brings back memories of the sound of the sizzle, holding your ear and hot grease dripping your scalp!