Difference between curly ponytail and puff?

blackbarbie

I hope no one thinks this is a stupid question, but I know there is a difference, what I mean is how do I make a "puff" and not a curly ponytail?

I have seen some pics of really beautiful puffs here so I hope someone can chime in with detailed instructions on how to make a puff.

TIA!

BB

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
i always thought it depended on hair type. if your hair grows down then its gonna be a curly pony tail, if it grows out it will be a puff?

blackbarbie

I am looking on YT and I see the band that is used to make the puff (I now know that this is the secret weapon), but I have never seen a puff on a long haired natural and would like to know the method. I have seen those big elastics in the store and always wondered what they were used for.

I had been using a regular ponytail holder and pulling my hair back into a ponytail and then fluffing the ponytail out the next day (I know......sad, but at least now I know!). I would like to see some pics of some long haired naturals and know their process.

BB

blackbarbie

i always thought it depended on hair type. if your hair grows down then its gonna be a curly pony tail, if it grows out it will be a puff?

Hmmmmmmm, I hadn't thought about that. (and here I am thinking it was solely all in the hair tools!)

That's makes so much sense, (so much that I just don't want to believe it b/c I want a huge puff soooo bad - LOL) but I am hoping someone whose hair grows down will come in here and debunk that. But my dear, I really think you may have a point!

Natural Glow

I think it also depends on length. My daughters hair grows down but I can give her puffs because it's not too long. Once it get's too long I think it'll just droop down.

glamazon386

I think it also depends on length. My daughters hair grows down but I can give her puffs because it's not too long. Once it get's too long I think it'll just droop down.

Mine does that. In order to get a real puff I have to blowdry or stretch my hair some kind of way. I usually plait it and then brush it out if I have time. If I'm short on time I blow dry it. If I try to do it from wet hair it'll just kind of flop over plus with shrinkage it'll look like a baby puff anyway. The only way to get it big is to blow dry or braid/twist it and then take it out. I use the goody ouchless band to make a puff though. You can also use a scarf or a knee high.

blackbarbie

Mine does that. In order to get a real puff I have to blowdry or stretch my hair some kind of way. I usually plait it and then brush it out if I have time. If I'm short on time I blow dry it. If I try to do it from wet hair it'll just kind of flop over plus with shrinkage it'll look like a baby puff anyway. The only way to get it big is to blow dry or braid/twist it and then take it out. I use the goody ouchless band to make a puff though. You can also use a scarf or a knee high.

Yes missy, yours was one of those I was thinking of! When the previous posters mentioned about the way the hair grows may determine whether I could get a puff or not, my wheels were in motion and I started thinking about diffusing it to stretch it out. (that's what I do when I want my wash n' go to be BIGGGGG).

Thanks for your input. I'll be practicing!

BB

ETA: I just noticed your comparisons in your siggy for the blow out puff vs. the wash n' go puff.

doll-baby

When I think of a puff I think of 4 something hair, possibly picked or fluffed out 3c hair. In other words I think you need a tighter curl to form a puff versus a pony. I think :scratchch

misslynn4x4

ok, i always thought of puffs as a fake ponytail. when your hair is shorter you use a band or stocking to pull it to the shape of a pony tail but not as tight. you can pick it out if you like that look but you dont have too. it looks like a ponytail. the longer your hair the bigger it gets. once my hair is longer i probably wont do puffs because my ponytails will look just the same. it does work better on tighter curled hair.

glamazon386

Yes missy, yours was one of those I was thinking of! When the previous posters mentioned about the way the hair grows may determine whether I could get a puff or not, my wheels were in motion and I started thinking about diffusing it to stretch it out. (that's what I do when I want my wash n' go to be BIGGGGG).

Thanks for your input. I'll be practicing!

BB

ETA: I just noticed your comparisons in your siggy for the blow out puff vs. the wash n' go puff.

I think yours will look more like a ponytail if you wash and go. :yep: You'll probably have to brush it out to get a puff. You just can't blow it too much to where it's straight bc then it'll flop over too.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
I know what you are getting at. I let my pony dry without product and fluff it out when I want it puffy.