Difference between hot oil treatments and pre-poo

sexy c

What is the difference between pre-poo and a hot oil treatment. I never gave myself one and want to know the benefits of it. And for those that use hot oil treatments what do you use for ur hot oil treatments

Sosoothing

Good question. I never thought it that. I think the difference would be the products you choose to use, the time it might take to do either treatment and if you choose to use heat or not. My guess is that in the end, the benefits are the same....at least I hope they are because I prefer hot oil treatments and have only tried to pre poo just once.

sexy c

Ive only done pre-poo and since winter is coming i will like to try something different and use a hot oil treatment

angelita842002

I may be mistaken but to ME they are the same thing. Usually before my weekly shampoo I use a hot oil and some conditoner or cholesteral and heat it up in a container in the microwaver till its hot enough to put on my head with out getting burned. I apply it in four sections to my hair and then i put a plastic cap on it and leave it on for about an hour or a little more cuz i usually start to do things around my house. Then rinse and shampoo/conditioner it leaves my hair moist.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I guess everyone considers them to be different. I pre-poo only with conditioner before I wet my hair. If I do a hot oil treatment, I only do it after I've washed my hair.

napbella

Aren't oils supposed to "seal" , as in close the cuticles? If so, why would you do a HOT prior to shampooing? Or am I totally off point here? Just looking for clarification. :ohwell:

FAMUDva

napbella said:
Aren't oils supposed to "seal" , as in close the cuticles? If so, why would you do a HOT prior to shampooing? Or am I totally off point here? Just looking for clarification. :ohwell:

I think some do it the way she is describing because that's the directions on the back of all the hot oil treatment bottle I've purchased... to do it before shampooing. Maybe I'm buying the wrong stuff.:confused:

angelita842002

I do it so my hair is still moisturized after I shampoo. It works great for me. But everybodys hair has a mind of its own. If i were to use it after a shampoo i would be left with a heavy greasy mess.

Sweet_Ambrosia

Lkaysgirl said:
Good question. I never thought it that. I think the difference would be the products you choose to use, the time it might take to do either treatment and if you choose to use heat or not. My guess is that in the end, the benefits are the same....at least I hope they are because I prefer hot oil treatments and have only tried to pre poo just once.

Some prepoo with conditioner, some prepoo with oil or a mixture of both. Thats the only difference. I use Cocout Oil sometimes for a prepoo and sometimes I use a mixture of Coconut Milk and Cholesterol. The benefits are great either way.