Disappointed Dominican Blow-out

whitedaisez

Ok so I went to a dominican hair salon for the first time to get my hair blow dried. I use heat on my hair very rarely, maybe once every two years or so.

I get there and the blow drying was SO PAINFUL!!!!!! As she was blowdrying one side, the other side would dry up and when she gets to it, she would just DIG the brush through ALL that shrinkage, OMG!!!! They DID NOT roller set my hair prior because they said the ends wouldn't lay flat.

After the blow dry, my hair did not look like a "Dominican Blowout" after ALL that extreme heat and smoke! It did not bounce, it did not shine, it just looked puffy straight. I was so disappointed, I heard that their blow dry did so much miracles yet it looked how it does when I did it myself!:perplexed

These women gave me the impression that my hair wasn't the type that would benefit from a Dominican blowout. They said that my hair is untrained & uneven, making it tangled and dry. I deep condition twice a month, cowash weekly and henna monthly; my hair is not dry. I have NO split ends, so why should i trim my hair?

So do type 4 ladies (with virgin untrained hair), do you guys get dominican blow outs? If so, do you go through excessive amounts of PAIN? How do the hairdressers deal with your shrinkage?

Does your "Dominican Blowout" turn out like these? Or am I just too picky or grumpy? Compare my avatar pic (I blow dried my hair there myself) to these "Dominican blowout pics". These hairdressers may have damaged my hair!
Please help me, I'm a bit upset :nono:

See part 2:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=469798

Last edited:

FlawedBeauty

do you have pictures? sounds like they just didn't know how to deal with your hair and were probably lazy. sorry this happened to you :(

preciouslove0x

wow. sorry. no offense but they did a really bad job. i wouldnt have paid for that. i would tell them i was not satisfied at all and demand them do a rollerset or try something else. sorry again.

did you get any recommendations to go to them? did you look at the other customers and how their hair turned out?

locabouthair

I think some hair types require more heat to get it straight. I dont know if your hair is like mine but just blowdrying it to get it straight wouldnt work for my 4z hair.:nono: When I was natural I had to have blowdried, pressed several times and then flat ironed. It takes A LOT to straighten my hair and I would not recommend anyone use that much heat.

On the bright side your hair looks thick:yep:

Keen

If you have the type 4 natural hair which has the z pattern or no define pattern, I really don't see how they could do a Dominican blow out without pressing the hair first. Yes, I think blow out don't work on all hair type.

FlawedBeauty

oh wow. yea they did horrible. they didn't know how to handle your hair at all, or were just lazy. i hope you didn't pay full price for this. you have every right to be upset.

whitedaisez

wow. sorry. no offense but they did a really bad job. i wouldnt have paid for that. i would tell them i was not satisfied at all and demand them do a rollerset or try something else. sorry again.

did you get any recommendations to go to them? did you look at the other customers and how their hair turned out?

None of the other customers had virgin hair so theirs came out real nice. My mom's was VERY nice. And I could tell mine might have been severely damaged. Look at my avatar and see how my afro was thick and luscious. I did a minor blow dry there myself.

When I left this salon, my hair felt so thin I felt like crying. I almost fought with them in the salon. They wouldn't listen to anything I wanted. They kept saying they were experts, that they did many natural hair ladies. But that mine was untrained and because I don't get trims, it was uneven, so dry, too tangled and difficult to work with :sad:

winnettag

They were just being lazy.
I have heard that it can be painful though.

Sorry that happened, but things like this help us to become better DIY'ers.....the silver lining.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
They had a hard time with my 12 weeks post hair. I can't imagine going to them with a head full of natural hair. If anything I would do my own light blowdry at home so they just have to finish my blowout on straightish hair then proceed from there

FlawedBeauty

did you notice if they applied a lot of product to your hair before adding the rollers or before they blew dry. that could have caused a lot of the smoke.

The blow dryer was just as hot, maybe even hotter! SO MUCH SMOKE in the salon and I was the only one getting a blow dry!!

UrbainChic

I am really surprised they did not even ATTEMPT to do a roller set first. It sounds like they are lazy, and don't care. I would recommend that if you do give it another try, go someplace else, and before you sit in the chair, ask them if they can do a roller set for you first. If they can't and they are giving you sass the minute you walk in, forget about it, its not the right salon.

I am so sorry they treated you this way!
*hugs*

Don't hold it against all Dominican salons. There are good ones out there, Theres always someone, in any industry who will take advantage of the fact that there are customers out there who will continue to get poor service because they dont know any better. They sound extremely unprofessional! I would not let your mom go there either, a place like that is a ticking time bomb, no matter what your hair type is or relaxed or natural.

TIME BOMB till a hair disaster.

lilsparkle825

They just did not know what they were doing. My sister has 4b/cnapp hair and I took her to get her hair done. There were two girls there and the lighter skinned girl (WLish, type 2 hair) looked at my sister, clearly confused. The other girl (type 3/4 hair, relaxed and APLish) just rolled her eyes and took over. After washing and gently detangling my sister's hair, she put it in bantu knots instead of rollersetting it to dry. This made the blowdrying go much better. After blowdrying, she sprayed it with heat protectant and lightly ran a flat iron over it. Her hair came out great....didn't last as long as my DBs do, but she got a good week out of it before it reverted. It can be done, you just have to be experienced, apparently.

I have attached pics -- the first is her normal texture, the second is during the process, and the third is the result.

Attachments

• favresized75.jpg
    favresized75.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG00099-20100225-1838.jpg
    IMG00099-20100225-1838.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG00100-20100225-1841.jpg
    IMG00100-20100225-1841.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 324

whitedaisez

did you notice if they applied a lot of product to your hair before adding the rollers or before they blew dry. that could have caused a lot of the smoke.

Yes they applied A LOT of heat and added conditioner to my hair. They had to, i was in dire pain!!! Even the conditioner wasnt enough! It dried up and they'd dig through all that dry shrinkage! heck no! And there were NO rollers. I clearly mentioned that, no rollers :sad:

Last edited:

exoticmommie

Well dang.

:bighug:

I am sorry they did this to you OP. You need a refund. I sooo hope they didn't damage your hair in the process.

cmw45

I'm sorry that happened to you. I have never been impressed with the Dominican blowouts. Seems like just a lot of heat and very little technique.

Last edited:

wheezy807

Sorry that happened to you. I've never heard of getting a domincan blowout without rollersetting the hair first. I'm literally speechless. Just wow.:nono:

tenjoy

Word up. You got a Niccaraguan blowout. you got set up.:nono:

Last edited:

hair4romheaven

I hope they didn't damage your hair. It's all about technique when dealing with hair. Yes you can benefit from the right blow out from the right stylist. Watch some utube vids and learn for yourself.

tenjoy

I hope they didn't damage your hair. It's all about technique when dealing with hair. Yes you can benefit from the right blow out from the right stylist. Watch some utube vids and learn for yourself.

Right. your gonna have to oil that ish up and wrap it up TIGHT. If it feels dry go ahead and wash and condition it.

Where are you located? go into the salon review thread and see if you can find a recommend stylist in your area.

If you dont mind my asking, how much was the style?

ConstantlyDynamic

i'm sorry that happened. find another salon asap because those people have no clue what they are doing and you don't want them ruining your hair. i've done i think 3 dominican blow-outs so far over the span of maybe 1.5 years ( i usually attempt to flat-iron and trust me, that was a failure). the first time, they blow-dried and pressed my hair, the last two times they just blow-dried my hair, no roller-setting during any of these times so i'm not sure it's necessary. all three salons were different but i achieved good results with the first and last one-the last one being the best. if i were to do it over again, i would bring my own products for optimal results. maybe you should do that. only you know what works for your hair. but again, get another salon. not all dominican salons are good at blow-outs

the pic is of the last one-my ends were better than what's shown and i liked that my hair had movement (the 2nd blowout had that puffy movement where your hair goes up in the hair like a madwoman-wasn't feeling it). but yeah type 4 hair can definitely do a blowout without rollersetting or anything as long as the stylist is good

Attachments

• harry_681.jpg
    harry_681.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 134

BlackMasterPiece

I am SO sorry you went through this I wish I could have done this blowout on you the right way instead of them giving you a setback.

They had absolutely no idea what they were doing or how to properly handle type 4 hair.

There is a way to get a nice straightened flowy effect with 4b hair you simply have to have the right grasp of technique and patience.

First you have to have a good vent brush with sturdy bristles like that of a paddle brush but more resistent. I did this with a blowdryer on warm using the concentrator. You have to section the hair off and do small sections starting from the ends and work your way up, do a single pass of a hot comb on heat setting # 8 and finish it off with a ceramic iron employing the comb chase method.

The result is silky flowy airy hair that will last until the next wash.

I wish I could do a blowout the correct way for you....so sorry you went through this....smh call yourself a hairstylist and don't even bother to learn about different hair types:nono:

You deserved better.

blackbarbie986

Your experience sounds kind of like mine. They didn't use rollers either. I asked her if they were she told me they didn't set natural on rollers. She put a little Salerm on, then raked through my hair with that little black comb, then twisted it in single coils and pinned them down. When she finished detangling she blew out my hair then flat ironed it. It started puffing up by the time I got to my car. When I got home I noticed a few spots at the top of my head that were brown, my hair is very dark looks black, she had burnt off my hair. When I washed it there were sections that broke off and I had heat damage. Haven't looked at a Dominican Salon since. Here's a pic of what it looked like. I wished I'ld gone to Miss Emma, my old school hair dresser, and have her hook me up with a press n curl.

whitedaisez

Right. your gonna have to oil that ish up and wrap it up TIGHT. If it feels dry go ahead and wash and condition it.

Where are you located? go into the salon review thread and see if you can find a recommend stylist in your area.

If you dont mind my asking, how much was the style?

$35 but she charged me $25 cuz i was a new customer.

Shoediva

Its obvious the salon you went to was clueless. I have gone to a Dominican Salon in VA and watched them blow out a full head natural tightly coiled 4b/c and it came out silky straight.

My dd was impressed she wanted her hair done, but I know she cant handle all the heat!

When your ready to try again, check out roundbrush.com or some ladies on here for suggestions.