Dominican blow out vs. White Salon blow out

sprungonhairboards

I've been thinking about this alot lately while watching blowout.

Whenever I see white salons, especially high end ones, they are always pulling and blowdrying the clients hair with a round brush and the dryer right on the hair. What is the difference between this and a Dominican blowout (besides not being set on rollers first)? The brush and the blowdrying is the part that gives it that umphf and swing everybody talks about right?

Do you think if you went to a white salon and got set and blown it would come out the same as a Dominican blowout?

zora

I think so, but the key is to have the hair in the right state to begin with. I think blowing our hair when it's wet is more damaging when it's dry. The only exception might be starting with natural wet hair. I think that might work.

mkh_77

Blow outs on natural hair is NOT a good thing. I had it done at a Dominican Salon and it was HORRIBLE! The blowdryer was TOO hot and all of that heat was damaging to my hair. I don't know too many naturals who have had a good experience with this--unless they were 2 or 3 type hair textures.

caligirl

I would not trust a white salon with my kinky hair. At least Dominicans are used to dealing with many textures.

webby

Think Slim
caligirl said:
I would not trust a white salon with my kinky hair. At least Dominicans are used to dealing with many textures.
I completely agree and mkh_77.

When I went to the salon a couple of weeks ago, a woman brought her 9-year-old, natural daughter in, to have her hair rollerset and blown. Her hair was being blown so much that I was thinking, her mother may as well relaxer...the heat was intense and they were going at it really hard to get her hair straight.

frankie

I actually go to what I previously mistook as a "white" salon for my relaxers. Vidal Sassoon has given me the best relaxers I've ever had. The stylists at Vidal go through intense training and apprenticeship before they are allowed to work on clients. The people who apply relaxers do it with precision, because they do it in the way a person applies hair colour to touch up a non-dyed roots.

After going to Vidal the first time I gave a black stylist a chance and she disappointed me. I never thought a white person could do "black" hair either, but my stylists are the best I've EVER had.

They do just fine with my 3-4 months of 4ab new growth.

There blow-outs are heat intense, but the results are GORGEOUS. Although, I've never been to a dominican salon before, and I doubt that I will because I'm happy with my salon.

sweetpeadst

If you looked in DSD album for the Alabama meeting my hair was blown out by a white salon!! I enjoy my hair when they do it!

hairmaster

I have been n this board, maybe a year and given advise in hopes that you would look at hairstylist not at black or white but at what they know or try to learn. but maybe
I'm wrong. Look at the sisters who hair you admire and want, most of them will tell you they use "white" shampoo conditioners, like REDEKEN, or MATRIX, AND FAROUK .
They are researching bring good products and training to all persons, Ethnics,. The
way you say "white" and "Dominican" and "Black" makes me think maybe I'm wrong to think the world is not color blind.

PhonyBaloney500

Dominican salons can do straight blow outs too (no rollers). That's actually what I used to do most often until folks' experiences with damage scared me--so now I do the loong roller--under dryer--blow out process.

qtgirl

No offense hairmaster, but this world is CERTAINLY not colorblind. I've gone to white salons (Hair Cuttery) where no white person would work on me and I had to wait for one of the two black stylists to finish, while white customers were coming in and out getting seen. Obviously, they felt that they were ill equipped to handle a black person's hair. And that is a lot of black women's fear that someone will not know how to handle their hair and damage it or be ostrasized in a white salon. Also, at most white salons (not all) they are primarily accustomed to doing white hair that is between a 1-3 range and even if in school they learned how to do type 4 hair, if they primarily work on straighter textures, who's to say they'll remember how to handle the type 4 hair.

hairmaster said:
I have been n this board, maybe a year and given advise in hopes that you would look at hairstylist not at black or white but at what they know or try to learn. but maybe
I'm wrong. Look at the sisters who hair you admire and want, most of them will tell you they use "white" shampoo conditioners, like REDEKEN, or MATRIX, AND FAROUK .
They are researching bring good products and training to all persons, Ethnics,. The
way you say "white" and "Dominican" and "Black" makes me think maybe I'm wrong to think the world is not color blind.

sprungonhairboards

I agree with you qtgirl.

And thanks for your concern everyone who mentioned the dangers but I wasn't asking about getting it done to my hair I was just interested in the comparison of the two methods.

SoulFlower

I've gone to a so-called "white salon" for a year and a half, and my hair had never looked better than during that time. I went there every week and my stylist was my very own cousin (free service). The products used on my hair were Kerastase, Nioxin and Redken. I had never gone under the dryer with rollers and my cousin blow dried my hair with the round brush and then used the ceramic flat iron to give it a sleek look and it did nothing to my hair. She did used a heat protector before doing so and it worked great. My hair was super healthy, split ends were quasi-inexistent. I think it all depends with what products you use in your hair, how you use it and protecting your hair with a silk scarf or silk pillowcase at night. A little goes a long way, divas.
I unfortunately do not go to that salon anymore and I see the difference. My hair doesn't look as great; I use cheaper products that work OK, but not great and I plan to weave it in the weeks coming or do put "great-lengths" aka fusion extensions.
My new regimen is starting next week... vitamins and a better diet (water, water, water, veggies, veggies, veggies!)

P.S.: In Montreal, where I live, since not a lot of black women go to white salons, when they have you as customers, they get all excited, whether you hair is in a fro or relaxed. Here are the websites of the salons I've been to:
When wearing the Fro--- for a hydrating treatment: http://www.tonicsalonspa.com (only french)
Where my cousin worked: http://www.salon-pure.com/.

Last edited: