Discouraging Site Name?

Nola Darling

Today I checked out a Youtube vid of a chick doing her hair in a not so healthy way. I didn't post it because I don't want to send any negative comments her way.

I messaged her and told her to check out LHCF and her response was, "But I don't have long hair." I told her to check it out anyway. What do you guys think about the name of this site? Personally, it took me a while to click on it because I too thought that it was only for long haired girls.

domniqqt

I never really thought of the name. When I first interpreted it was a site to help me grow long hair. But I see how someone could read it the other ways also.

SimpleKomplexity

:perplexed:perplexed....I dunno. I just don't see it that way. But maybe it's becuase I typed in grow long african american hair in google, and this site came up...*shrugs* I would visit this site no matter what the site title was

hothair

Hmm... I see where she's coming from but I was referred here by someone that grew their hair so didn't really think much on the name...

SoforReal

Well I found this site by searching for hair information. There was so much information on how to care for your hair that I assumed it's for people who wanted healthier longer hair or want to care for their long hair. By joining this forum and seeing people with of all lengths of hair confirmed my assumption :yep:

cmesweet

I don't think the title has anything to do with it. Even if she doesn't have long hair, the right thing to do would be to click on the link to gain some insight on what the site is about.

It seems to me that she was not interested, or maybe even too lazy to click a button.

I think assuming to understand and know what a site is about before even checking it out is limiting oneself. :ohwell:

blkbeauty

I never really thought of the name. When I first interpreted it was a site to help me grow long hair. But I see how someone could read it the other ways also.[/QUOTE

Actually, after doing yahoo searches and seeing the name of this site initially I did not think about joining. Eventually, doing a search I came across an old member on this site and her hair blog led me to join.

My experience here has been a great one and I have learned some great tips. However, I do feel that this site is geared toward long haired woman with furthering hair goals than short hair women that has battled "short-hair" all their life. Although this is not against the site, this tips here are great!!! Its just most of the members seem to have "longer" hair and had "long" hair most of their life and can't understand, be sensitive or sympathize with certain frustrations dealing with "short" hair. I find this more with the newer "long" hair members than with the old. This is IMHO.

JustKiya

I don't think the title has anything to do with it. Even if she doesn't have long hair, the right thing to do would be to click on the link to gain some insight on what the site is about.

It seems to me that she was not interested, or maybe even too lazy to click a button.

I think assuming to understand and know what a site is about before even checking it out is limiting oneself. :ohwell:

Indeed. If I want something, I'm going to want to hang with the people who already have it, because I know they'll have something to teach me, ya know? :ohwell: It's a matter of aspiring to something more.... *sigh*

ladylibra

LOL that's funny, i thought the same thing the first time someone told me about LHCF! :lachen:

i thought it was a support community for women who already had long hair... BUT i also figured i could lurk around here and learn some of the products and routines that these long-haired women were using and see if they worked for me.

so i didn't find it discouraging. :look:

Simply_Kelz

Um .. actually when looking for info I came across this site several times, and never really paid it any mind I guess b.c of the name. And sorry but .. I just saw a bunch of threads and it looked boring.:look:

I finally paid attention when I came across MaCherieAmours videos on YouTube, which led me to HealthyTextures which led me here ..

ajoyfuljoy

I never really thought of the name. When I first interpreted it was a site to help me grow long hair. But I see how someone could read it the other ways also.

That's exactly the way I saw it too. If a fitness website is called healthybodies.com, I'm not gonna avoid it and go to sloppyfat.com! The name of the website speaks to where you want to be and I hope that's the way a lot of people take it.

SoforReal

That's exactly the way I saw it too. If a fitness website is called healthybodies.com, I'm not gonna avoid it and go to sloppyfat.com! The name of the website speaks to where you want to be and I hope that's the way a lot of people take it.

Exactly!! I Agree :yep:

ladylibra

LOL well said! :yep:

AfroKink

The name of the site keeps me from telling people about it. One of my cousins saw me browsing one day and he said, "why are you on there? you don't have long hair!"

Lys

PinkPeony

When I googled info about black hair care this site came up and with it this:
The ultimate internet resource for women of color that want to grow healthy beautiful long hair

so I knew right away what this site was about and the name made sense:yep:

clever

:yep:she may not have been interested...

LadyKaypnyc

The name is a little misleading, but if she takes the time to check it out, she'll see that the site is about so much more than that:yep:

kandake

I agree with what you said but I have a different take on it. I found this site while searching for ways to combat my issues with dry hair. My first thought was that I really don't want to learn about growing my hair I just want healthy moisturized hair. So, reading that it was the Long Hair Care Forum was kind of off putting for me considering I initially had no desire to grow my hair (LOVE SHORT HAIR).

To use your analogy:grin:. What if I'm searching for a website to help me lose weight and tone my body. I click on a link in the search engine that says Rock Hard Bodies Forum. Granted there is some information about losing weight and toning my body but the majority of it is about hardcore weight lifting and most of the members are body builders. My initial reaction would be that this community is not for me. I don't want to be a body builder.

I said all that to say that I can understand why some people may be either turned off my the name or think that the forum isn't for them because of the name. I for one am glad that I decided to stick around because I've learned so much in the last 5 or 6 weeks since joining.

shunta

I can see why she thought that. Maybe the name can be a little misleading. At least you shared it with her, tho.:yep:

Jadore_tay

it is kind of misleading because i actually found this site by doing a google search on how to maintain long hair LOL! so i see where you are coming from

Christa438

I also see how people would think it's for people who already have long hair. I just thought the name was relative. When I found this site, it was an answer to a prayer. It seems like forever that I had been wishing I could grow my hair long again like when I was a little girl around 4 and 5 y.o. but I just couldn't figure out all the things I needed to do and stop doing.

Platinum

LOL that's funny, i thought the same thing the first time someone told me about LHCF! :lachen:

i thought it was a support community for women who already had long hair... BUT i also figured i could lurk around here and learn some of the products and routines that these long-haired women were using and see if they worked for me.

so i didn't find it discouraging. :look:

I agree. I learned about this site from RabiaElaine. I "met" her on a Black wedding planning site. I was always asking so many hair and weave questions so she told me about this one and BHM. I really wasn't interested in this one because, judging by the name, I assumed it to be for sisters with long hair. (Seeing that she had long hair as well):wallbash: . I lurked a few times on BHM to find out about the recommended weaves for my wedding (11/24/07). After I removed my weave before New Years eve, I noticed I had a huge bald spot on the left side of my head (in the crown area) and my nape hair had disappeared. I was devastated! :cry: I thought I did a good job of taking care of my hair when I sported the weave. What could have gone wrong? Maybe the relaxer the stylist gave me right before the install and the super-tight cornrows. Anyway, I decided to check out LHCF. I could have kicked my own ***.:hammer: If I had any sense, I could have joined earlier and could have started my quest for healthier hair months before. Anyway, instead of spending hundreds of $$$ on weaves, I've learned to spend much less and work on growing my natural hair. Not only has it improved, it's growing!:yay:

Sorry for the rambling, I got carried away. My point is... I would have joined last year if I hadn't been so silly by judging it by the name. I should have atleast checked it out.:wallbash:

Silver

Yep, I saw this site after a search 6 months before I joined or even took a peak, maybe more than that. I don't think the title is wrong, it's correct, we want long healthy hair. But I interpreted it wrong.

vestaluv1

I don't think the site name is discouraging. I still clicked on the link when i found it through Google because I knew that it was either to do with growing long hair or maintaining it. Either way I thought I could have learned somethin'.
As soon as a looked at the site I realised that members had all different hair lengths and goals.
I've been hooked to LHCF ever since. :yep:

ajacks

I wouldn't say the site name is discouraging, but I can definitely see how the name can be misleading. But even if I thought it was only for women with long hair, I would still check the site out. I want in on their secrets for long hair.

Last edited:

tada1

soon as i saw "longhaircareforum" in google, i was like dang, i need to go learn what these people are doing to their hair to make it long :lachen:
so no, i dont think there is anything wrong with the name. Sounds just right to me :rolleyes: