DIY Weaves?

Ms Red

Hey Yall,

I want a short light brown angled & choppy bob w/blonde highlights that frames the face (the kind that's shorter in the back and longer in front)-- and can't seem to find a wig that fits this description. It's like Bey's bob in the "Me Myself and I" video but a little darker. I was telling my boyfriend's sister about this (who is a model in NYC) and she told me to buy the following things to MAKE it:

-A Mannequin
-A Weave cap
-The light brown and blonde hair I want (weaved hair)
-Weave Glue

She says that I can cut the tracks appropriately, and glue the hair to the cap in the style I want. But how do I secure something like this on my head? Can I leave any of my hair out like this? And what's the difference between this and a wig??? :confused: I'm so lost. I would try just sewing in my own weave but I don't cornrow well (I'm willing to try tho). I'm transitioning and just want a break.

tia, cc

Last edited:
You would secure it to your hair by sewing it onto cornrows. See if you can get someone to do this for you.

A wig cap is diffrent because the "wigcap=stockingcap" is custom made for your head. The dresser puts the cap on your head snug. Most times the hair under the cap is wrapped or braided.The dresser proceeds to place the tracks close together in a circle motion until almost the very top. The top gets tricky, you must put the hair on in a pinwheel shape to close.

I hope this helps.

Thanks so much you guys. I can't do this by myself! What was she thinking!? Mysweetv-- since you're in Philly can u recommend a good salon? I've been going to Vivid but I'm looking for a place that doesn't rip my hair out since I'm transitioning.

Tia, cc

Back