Do any of you feel like not talking about your hair journey w/friends or family???

Britt4209

Sometimes I do, every time I 'm doing something to my hair my mom or bf always have something to say about it. Like, "there you go with that hair stuff again" or "stop buying so much stuff for your hair"(Mom, and shes the same one using everything I buy) At the end of the day, I 'd rather just let my hair do the talking once they see how beautiful it will be :)

Thanks, just venting lol

Re: Do any of you feel like not talking about your hair journey w/friends or family??

yeah it's like my sick little secret lmao! I can't hide it from my hubby though, shoot he's all up in my products and coconut oil and thinks he knows hair now too lol!

even my mom thinks i'm obsessed and she's an ex hairstylist (20+ yrs), she looks at me weird some nerve.

Re: Do any of you feel like not talking about your hair journey w/friends or family??

yeah it's like my sick little secret lmao!.
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Same here, I can't talk to my friends about the things I do because they think that I'm crazy. For example, I tried to tell my friend about mn and she was like gross you can't pay me enough to put that crap in my hair.

Hell no I can't talk to my friends about it. I had some friends come round once and I had my old bottle of Megatek out on my table. My friend with her fast self asked what it was, I had to come out with some BS about buying it for someone at work who has horses. I wouldn't mind, but I don't even really use MT now. :look:

No, I opt not to say anything. If anyone asks about my hair practices or for advice I'd be more than happy to share though.

I can't bebothered to talk hair with outsiders if i know what i'm doing then i will do or stick to doing it. I try and help my mum with her locs sometimes she listens sometimes she don't.

I live alone, so its easy to keep people out of my business. I've never felt the need to discuss hair with anyone except for the Ladies on this board. Once I had to cancel a date with my BF becuase I was recovering from a hair experiment that went horribly wrong. He was understanding about it. He just thinks I have "good" hair and doesn't care about how I maintain it.

I stopped doing that years ago. I'm over the fascination.

I do with close friends that ask. I am always happy to spill the beans on what I know about haircare. It's a fun subject to discuss for me. Honestly, the more in depth I talk about it I am sure they listen to be courteous more so than sheer interest.

My daughter loves hair too. Since I have schooled her on haircare she loves coconut oil more than I do. She got a real kick knowing she could eat the same thing she can put in her hair and on her skin.

Other than that, the answer is no.

Last edited:

I don't even bother telling people what I do to my hair. I USED to try to help my mom out... I even gave her a pound of henna for Christmas last year. She hasn't used it and won't use it. :nono: Instead she'll continue turning her hair into straw with red dye from a bottle.

When they saw my big reveal they were like :shocked: but now I guess they'll figure out that I do know what I'm talking about, hair-wise.

Yeah, but it's mainly my mom. She has NO clue what real hair care is for type 4 hair so whenever she sees me washing my hair by my self, DCing, etc., she automatically thinks I'm destroying my hair. :wallbash: I know her practices are destroying her own hair as well as my mine, but she's not willing to change...at least right now.

But I'll convince her eventually :yep:

I only talk about it with dh, my immediate family, and one friend. The rest had one time to roll their eyes at me putting honey and coffee over my head. That was the last time I ever did that. My SIL was there and she NEEDS the help.

When I started, everyone, including my mom, thought my hair would "fall out." I know that my hair has grown but since I keep it up in PS, not many other people know. My mom thinks I'm crazy for doing everything that I do but she is slowly trying to incorpate my healthier practices into her routine. Other than that, I discuss my journey with no one. I'll wait until I'm APL to reveal my hair that should have fallen out a long time ago. :lachen:C'mon 2 inches, grow!

When I first started this journey over a year ago, I was excited about what I was learning on this board and wanted to share with family and friends. Well, they would listen but I knew most of them really wasn't trying to hear what I had to say. Now that my hair is considerably longer and healthier everyone comes to me and wants to know what I've been doind to my hair and products I use.

I don't tell anyone anything any more, I got tired of the jokes and stupid questions. I only tell DH mainly because I need to explain all the packages that come to the house:lachen:

wow, i belong in this thread, im keeping it all to myself now that ive joined lhcf becuase yall the only ones that know<--crying voice) what im going throught d@mit. i love my hair ok, yes i said it! and im aloud to say it on here. but when i get off this computer, i go into my own dark corner to comb hair and whispter to it,(i tell it that i love it and i need it to grow) and it listens to me. it gives me a pet on the back when i need it.<--(looks back at hair lovingly on shoulders as i type this)......:look:

My friends think I'm a little obsessed... I KNOW I am, its hard not to be. My hair is something I feel passionately about. I just don't talk about it anymore because people think I'm nuts...lol

I was yapping about my hair all the time. Now that I have started keeping it in a pony tail and under a silk scarf, My hair has became my big secret. I am enjoying having this secret. I went to church last night with a bag on my head and my black scarf holding it down.
I threw on some makeup and big earrings, and someone said I always look so chic. I laughed and taught little does she know I am hiding a Shoppers bag under my scarf.

I am having fun with my secret

I don't really put much energy into trying to determine if I should or should not talk about it to anyone. If it comes up, I say something. If it doesn't come up, I have nothing to say. Most people who know me know I am into healthy hair, but I have not had any significant negative experiences that might make me shy about talking hair when I feel like it...but that's probably because I don't come across to them as obsessed...even though I am...:lachen::lachen:

cj

Sometimes I do, every time I 'm doing something to my hair my mom or bf always have something to say about it. Like, "there you go with that hair stuff again" or "stop buying so much stuff for your hair"(Mom, and shes the same one using everything I buy) At the end of the day, I 'd rather just let my hair do the talking once they see how beautiful it will be :)

Thanks, just venting lol

I don't because they just look at me like a hair freak! so i just answer any questions if they ask me. But i do not talk about the board with anyone just my DH. And only cause he takes my progress pics :lachen:

i LOVE my hair and have been learning the hard way to keep my mouth shut because i hate when dumb people make comments like "black people shouldnt wash their hair everyday!" argh :wallbash: this annoys me so now i have been learning to be quiet and only talk about hair with my dh, my daughters, and my mom and that is it. there are times when i give simple tips to my friends but i never go in to detail anymore because i dont feel the need to explain my regimen and have it questioned.:spinning:

I don't bother because they really do not understand. I rather vent to you ladies or my 2 girlfriends I am helping transition. :)

I talk about it with my two daughters and that's it. I get caught at work by a couple of co-workers when I'm on the board and they just roll their eyes.

I use to talk about it with my brother until he told me I was obssessed so I stopped.

I use to talk about it with my mom also. I helped grow her hair back from bald. But now that it's grown back and was touching shoulder length she went back to her unhealthy hair practices so she doesn't want to hear me talking about it.

This hair board is a Godsend. Sometimes you just can't keep it in and the ladies on the board are always here to listen.

Nope! I tried that and my family was not very supportive when I told them that I was going natural. I started my locs six months ago and haven't told them anything... I'll let them figure it out by themselves :lachen:

I agree with everyone, no one to talk to irl but isn't it amazing that it is thousands of us in this forum have the same situation!

2010 I plan on not boring anyone else to tears about my hair. My post count on BHM/LHCF will probably double this year

When I first started, I was so excited. You couldn't shut me up about my hair. When my family saw that I hadn't gotten to MBL in 2 and a half seconds- they dismissed my journey as rubbish, not understanding that it takes a lot of time and nuture to grow your hair long. Now, I just keep quiet about it and when the time is right, my hair will speak volumes for me.

It takes too much effort to explain things, and then have it ridiculed, so I now keep it to myself.

I'm done talking because I'm tired of the ignorant responses, but I do remember it wasn't too long ago that I was also ignorant about healthy hair care...so if people ask I'll be happy to share

Back