My family just don't understand my hair journey....

Goombay_Summer

Every time I mention to my mother that I want WSL hair she either gets suspiciously quiet, looks at me like I told her I was going on some type of killing spree, and my favorite is the comment that I didn't inherit my hair type from her side of the family. But I know that one day I'll have the last laugh.

Chocolatelove2010

Yeah I do believe my family buy into the whole Good hair Vs Bad hair, which is quite sad. I've been told my whole life my hair will not grow longer because I don't have the 'good hair genes' of the family.

I've never been aware of what my hair's needs are because I have a diff texture to the majority of my family. Having said that, I don't think they intentionally do it to hurt/upset me. To them it's just harmless teasing but I think their mentality about Afro-texture hair is just so wrong. So when I found this website and my knowledge increased... I was just so eager to pass it on to them, and change their opinion. And I have done so, slightly.

When I was younger, I desperately wished to have my mother's hair. But finding this website has taught me.. all types are beautiful. And I no longer will tolerate anybody telling me anything different.:yep:

God Bless you all :amen:

Last edited:

MissHoney26

U have very pretty hair! I look at it like this, they can talk all they want about it, but at the end of the day it's your hair and you have to do what works for you, not anyone else. This thread takes me back LoL I remember my brother telling me that all my hair is going to fall out because I wash it so much, which is only 2x a week.:lachen:Sometimes you have to laugh at the ignorance and keep it moving.:yep:

fletgee

It's just like when I went to Weight Watchers. I kept what I was doing to myself and let the results speak for themselves. I had no one watching over my shoulder when I ate or telling me what I should and should not do. I had no "Diet Police".

I just watched their jaws dropped as I lost 50 pounds.

The same for my hair. I just let them gawk in wonder.

"Whatch doing to your hair, Lyn?"

"It really looks good, really soft too".

"Nothing really."

"Thanks".

Just keep doing what you're doing. Cause you're in the right place doing the right thing with others who feel like you do.

I agree with Supergirl, those outside our circle don't know anything, and my parents are the same way, they talked about me growing and buying vitamins and hair products, and now they see how long my hair is, and they don't talk crap no more, it's your hair take care of it, if you wasn't doing nothing to your hair and u looked like a mess they would talk about u, but you are taking care of your hair and they are sitll talking trash, so it's a no win situation, but do u and take care of your hair, don't worry about it, they will see when your hair gets longer. But I feel u though. Vent all u want, we are here for u.

I am so sorry you are surrounded by such negativity. Growing your hair is a positive thing! Why would anyone take that away from you and do anything besides support you? You have beautiful hair by the way.

I keep a lot of my obsessiveness about my hair to myself for the most part, but I do share certain things like the fact that I don't blow dry or use shampoo anymore. I carry a bag around filled with my vitamins but I don't really share that one too much!

Good luck, and just know that everyone here supports you! :)

Stormy

Well I don't see what's so funny! Oh, 'cause it's not down to your hips and you have to put effort into growth and retention? Puleeeze! Tons of women would loooove to have that thick and pretty head of hair you have! Ummm... I'm one of them :look: but to answer your question, no I don't tell anyone about my hair journey other than my hubby and son. Oh, and my sister because I went natural a few months after her and she believes in taking vitamins for hair growth. Other than those three I don't tell anyone else. They just wouldn't understand.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
Every time they crack jokes abut your HHJ, it shows that they are just as obsessed as you are:spinning: It will only make your success that much sweeter. Since they are paying attention, make sure kindly rub it in their faces once you reach your goals:grin:

that's my 2 cents

plus one. next time they make a comment about your hair, put them on blast by asking them why they are so obsessed with your hair. then make a screw face and say how weird and creepy that is. ♥

kami02

I really try and limit the hair discussions, but there are some people in my family that really need some advice. Last year when I was trying to give the advice, no one was trying to listen - and they thought i was crazy but now that my hair has some length I'm hearing a different tune. ALTHOUGH, my cousin's wife - who is the biggest hater ever and needs the most help - just told me my ends looked thin and I need to cut my hair. Cut - not trim. I could have slapped her, lol.

TLC1020

Don't worry about them just continue with your hair care journey... All will see later and if they don't then ole well... As long as you know what your goals are and stick with it...

femmemuscle

your hair is gorgeous. i know we all have our inspirations and goals. But looks as if you have a "head" start on a lot of us.. certainly you have one on me. You have a pony tail. Just look at it..

i have a pig tail... if that!

if you want to vent, this is definitely the place. you definitely have our support!

beautyaddict1913

My family teases me too...they say I wash my hair everyday, my mom has told me not to buy anymore hair products (like she finances it), they say that my hair is going to fall out because Im "over-doing" it. Honey, Im making progress and thats all that matters...laugh at me now, but it is a means to an end....you should adopt the same attitude. There is no need to sneak and care for your hair...its yours! Don't worry most of us get teased and people always say to me "you and that hair" or ask me "what are you doing? something to your hair"....keep laughing but our practices really work!

LoveCraze

Naturalista
As has been mentioned before, your hair is beautiful already. By adopting healthy hair habits and embarking on your healthy hair journey, it will only get better. Family can say things that are very painful sometimes and not even realize how much it affects you. It helps to be able to talk about it and this a great place to do it. I haven't really told anyone that I'm on a hair journey, I only said I was growing my hair out and left it at that. I prefer to let my hair speak for me. Stay strong and keep doing what you're doing. Eventually, the joking and jiving will get old. Just don't let them see that it bothers you.

Mrs. Verde

As others have stated, OP your hair is beautiful. Let them hate. The proof will be when that hair is cascading down your back. Then when they make comments, just flick your hair :grin:.

Curlybeauty

ignore em. when your hair is down your back, their tune will change, and they'll start acting like they were in your corner since the beginning. i'm evil, so when they start asking you for tips, kindly remind them how they treated you. :look:[/QUOTE]
I think the heart at the end of this statement makes it all the more funny.

& I guess I'm evil too. :look:

melodies815

Thanks ladies..

And Yeah I'm sure they don't know how much they're offending me. But even if they did.. they'd still find it funny, infact probably more funny :lachen: :rolleyes:

And I don't wanna give them that satisfaction.

Anytime a family member comes to my house and they have really long hair... my brother tells them to go shake their hair infront of me because that will upset me.

I must admit I do my fair share of teasing him, like asking him why he has a patchy beard and looks like Wolverine when he doesn't shave. But still... he needs to give my hair a break. :rolleyes:

LOL @ the wolverine comments.

My husband and daughter called me Michael Jackson and "Soul Glo." for about 2 months. Most of the time I would laugh too because it was kind of funny how weirdly curly my hair was to start.

When I got tired of it, I told them I needed them to know it hurt me and that I needed then to stop picking on me. When I asked my child why she did it, she admitted that it was because of her daddy. When I asked him why, he didn't have a good reason at all. It was just funny to him. Mind you, he laughs a LOT and he could find something hilarious in a stick of butter.

Hopefully, you will let them know kindly...or you will just let it die naturally.

Good luck, sorry you are having this experience, and keep it growing!! :grin:

cj