do anyone have hair that?

4mia

does not respond well to water based moisturizers? do you do better with oil based moisturizers?
after 3 years of trying to find a good water based, moisturizer that my relaxed hair do not drink up like a desert, im stuck with a bunch of products that do not do the job.

thanks for any insight
also im in new orleans so its very very hot here

4mia, since you said your hair drinks up moisture and still seems dry, maybe you need to check and see if your porosity is off. That may be what's causing it not to retain moisture. Do you seal in moisture? That could help as well, especially if it's very hot where you are. I know New Orleans can be pretty humid so using humectants in your moisturizer may actually work for you.

Last, is your hair lacking protein? If your hair loses protein due to heat styling or chemical use then you may have to supplement it. Without protein there's nothing for the moisture to bind to.

I don't use an oil based moisturizer, but here's an old thread about oil v. water based:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=4785661

Also, the three oils that penetrate the hair are coconut oil, evoo, and avocado oil. Coconut oil penetrates the best, with the other two following them. So if you do choose an oil based moisturizer you should go for something with one of those oils in it.

I have never had any success moisturizing my hair with any leave in moisturisers so I use conditioners instead. I don't that a moisturiser is enough to cure chronically dry hair.

The only way I can get away with water based is to seal with oils. I don't mean spritz a little on the ends- I mean truly seal. This is after correcting my porosity. My theory is that if you are like me with chronic dryness (skin, hair, nails) then there is no such thing as enough moisture. Its a family trait for me- my siblings and mother are the same. Try one of your water based dealies again- but use something like castor oil to seal. I find its heavy enough that I don't need a lot and since my hair is so needy, its only sticky for about 10 minutes (yes really- sad ain't it?).

nothing water-based will keep your hair moisturized in TX & Louisiana. As you mentioned, you may need something with a little oil. I'm not a big sealer, but when I am home (in TX), I have to use some oil in my hair to lock in moisture. I like coconut oil, or ORS Olive Oil Moisturizer. It's kind of heavy & it has mineral oil, but it works for me.

As msa said, it would seem like humectants would work well, but I find that they make my hair frizzy in the humidity.

thanks ladies. i dont think i have a protein problem. I just had a protein treatment. I always had dry hair, feet and nails.
what are some humectant products?
thanks for everyones help

Depending on how you usually wear your hair, shea butter might be a great moisturizer.

I have really dry hair and I recently started using an oil, butter based moisturizer (water is the 3rd ingredient)....My hair is sooooo happy now. At night I seal my ends with castor oil.

^^^what moisturizer is that?

to the op, make sure you don't have a porosity problem
that maybe the reason why the moisturizers aren't working

then maybe try oil-based moisturizers

I do better with moisturizers that have a mixture of water and oils.
I think its a nice balance. =]

Which scent do you use? Cocomango or Egyptian musk? How long have you been using it? How often? When you use it, do you seal with anything afterwards?

Have you used any of the other Oshune products?

I use the Egyptian musk. I've only been using it for a few weeks now, however it instantly made a difference. Anyone who knows me knows that I am an ojon fan, however I put my ojon leave-in glossing cream on the shelf. I have used it twice a day but once a day works well too. When I use it at night I seal with a dab of castor oil.

No, I have not tried any of their other products and I really didnt have high hopes for this one. The ingredients looked ok (knowing that my hair loves butters I felt I couldnt go too wrong, and if my hair didnt like it, I could use it as a body butter)... the main reason why I purchased it because it was on sale...however, Im glad that I gave it a try. :yep:

Back