Do Blunt Ends Equal Healthy Ends?

NaturallyATLPCH

So I've realized at my approaching 6 year natural mark, that in years past I could've possibly been trimming away healthy hair because I felt I needed to trim. Now, mind you I never heat style, flat iron my hair, etc. I keep it protected out of convenience.

I think that as a natural I have the mindset that blunt ends equal healthy ends. How do you ladies feel about this or what's your experience?

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
So I've realized at my approaching 6 year natural mark, that in years past I could've possibly been trimming away healthy hair because I felt I needed to trim. Now, mind you I never heat style, flat iron my hair, etc. I keep it protected out of convenience.

I think that as a natural I have the mindset that blunt ends equal healthy ends. How do you ladies feel about this or what's your experience?

I am going to make two assumptions: that the hair has no split ends and the hair is heat straightened to show those "blunt ends".

Hair that is cut straight across, or blunt cut = "cross cut" hair (from the book: Chemical and Physical Behavior of Human Hair)
Hair that is in a v-shape, or u shapes = non cross cut hair

Blunt ends, are technically referred to as "cross cut" hair. When this hair is combed or brushed, the tension created on the ends of the hair is higher than hair that is in a "u" or "v" shape.

My thoughts are, if you are at your goal length, then a blunt cut is perfect to maintain that length. Because technically, the tension and stress on the hair are higher.

If you are in the process of gaining length, trying to reach a longer goal length, then letting the hair gain length in a "u" or "v" shape, which is the natural tendency of hair growth for most people, would allow for more length gain because there is less tension when combing/brushing (grooming) this type of hair [in the straightened state]. If the hair is not straightened, it is not likely one will be able to see 'blunt ends'.

We have been conditioned that blunt ends are aesthetically more attractive, but, they may not necessarily be the healthiest because of the elevated tension created when grooming hair cut this way.

GGsKin

Only when I came to this board did I discover a love for the 'U' or 'V' shape. When I eventually have my hair trimmed professionally, that is the shape I'll be requesting. For now, as I am trying to gain length, I continue to trim/dust (mainly coil by coil) for knots and splits. I don't worry about blunt ends. I haven't blown out or straightened my hair yet.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Blunt ends do not mean healthy ends. Perhaps blunt ends could mean stronger ends because hair is more grouped together protecting one another while being comb/styled. One could have blunt ends all day and still have splits and SSK. Blunt hair APPEARS to be healthier even when not. That's just my take on it.