Do I really need to get baptized again?

phynestone

So I joined a church recently and was strongly encouraged to get baptized again. Honestly, I didn't want to do it. The church member stated since I struggled with my walk in college (as I told her) and fell away (technically, I didn't; I still prayed, talked to God and attended church) it would be best that I get baptized again since I didn't understand the significance when I was younger. I really don't want to do it. I've already had to speak to two different people at the church about it. This doesn't mean I don't love the Lord, but I'm beginning to think this is more work than it needs to be. What are your thoughts?

Guitarhero

No, if you were baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, it is valid. Even if you were baptized by a non-christian, it is valid and removes the stain of original sin. There is no need for a second baptism. Babies, before the age of accountability, are baptized and it is valid.

Your walk afterwards doesn't invalidate your baptism and there is nothing in scripture that warrants a second one. If you were baptized against your will, I'd speak to a pastor about that. But it seems that rededication of your life is what you're seeking. That, you could do at home...or at church in a testimony, depending upon your church's structure.

phynestone

Well, I've already rededicated myself to Christ a few years ago, but this is one the things this church wants me to do to become a new member. I called them and told them I had changed my mind about it. I just don't think it's necessary. And I think one of the people I talked to thought I didn't care or was weird.

I just don't think my reasons are invalid, that's all. I am willing to fulfill the other requirements to become a member.

Ballerina_Bun

There was a pastor that I knew who was baptized 2 times. He jokingly said that he thought it didn't "take" the first time :lachen:

Last edited:

LifeafterLHCF

Only once unless you desire to do so..I mean if that the case we christians would have to be baptized gosh only knows due to use falling of track..if they insist I would ask their motives and really pray if this is the place to be..some christians are idiots in the word and they take a little info and run with it..you know your relationship with God so that all that matters..if they don't accept you into the church then it's not for you..

Prudent1

I think that is a rule of that local church and not necessarily a biblical commandment. As Goddessmaker said, if you wanted to there is nothing wrong with that, but since it is that church's rule as a part of membership and you are not willing to comply, perhaps that church is not right for you. You said you rededicated yourself to God a while back. God truly knows your heart. Keep praying asking him what he has to say about the situation but I say no.

CoilyFields

I agree that once is enough unless you want to do it again.

I would ask the leader of the church if that is just church tradition or if they are basing that on scripture. Pray to God about what you should do either way and follow that.

Note: There are lots of traditions at my church that I dont necessarily agree with but they are not heaven/hell issues and are not trying to pretend to be based on scriptures. And I love my church dearly! So it doesnt have to necessarily be a deterrant from becoming a member there.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Baptism is a public display of your relationship with God and shows your determination to publicly do his will. Anyone can make a personal dedication to God. Also, it shows your affiliation to the church you belong to. If you were a member of the same church you were baptized in, then I'd say no.

LatterGlory

Act 19:3-5
(3) And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
(4) Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
(5) When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

silenttullip

It really depends on the denomination or lack of that you're associated with... Different strokes for different folks. Personally I agree with her as far as understanding significance goes but biblical wise I hope she's making SURE you're aware of the significance this time. Baptism represents different things to different and without bringing any confusion its important that you search the word and align your representation of it.